Engine air intake flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine air intake flow

I am not sure I understand how the air gets in the engine. Must flow in at least one of the large side scoops.
    Appears the Z51 has a cooler/radiator looking assembly on the passenger side.
    Is there then a duct of some type to get it in the throttle body at the mid back of the car?

LP in Lambo language, longitudinale posteriori (rear and longitudinal engine mounting).
    2020 Convertible, Torch Red, 2LT, NPP, Natural, GT1, E60, Q8Q, perpetual status 3000

Originally posted by 68roadster View Post
    I am not sure I understand how the air gets in the engine. Must flow in at least one of the large side scoops.
    Appears the Z51 has a cooler/radiator looking assembly on the passenger side.

Is there then a duct of some type to get it in the throttle body at the mid back of the car?

LP in Lambo language, longitudinale posteriori (rear and longitudinal engine mounting).
    <Based on the cutaway photos and various comments, it looks like the air gets into the engine via the rear passenger wheel well. > Please ignore! much more accurate information below!
    Last edited by khanmark; 08-29-2019, 01:24 PM.

Mark

- Just when you think you can't dig your hole any deeper, they throw the shovel in at you -

Comment

In one of the Carlisle videos, Tadge said the upper 1/3 of each side scoop feeds air into the engine.

Pete
      Now - 2014 Premier convertible #236
      Next - C8 Shadow Gray, Morello, Z051, Mag ride
      or C8 Premier Launch Edition

Comment

This cut-away image shows the airbox feeding from the passenger side, but it may in fact feed from both the driver and passenger sides (depending on how much of the air box has been cut-away).

Click image for larger version

Name:	!XLORlNV.jpg
Views:	1420
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	64964
        My C8:
        '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
        '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
        '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
        '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Name:	Air intake 2.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	64993
          It would be cool if air comes in both sides, maybe along the yellow lines.
          2020 Convertible, Torch Red, 2LT, NPP, Natural, GT1, E60, Q8Q, perpetual status 3000

Comment

Originally posted by 68roadster View Post

Name:	Air intake 2.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	64993
            It would be cool if air comes in both sides, maybe along the yellow lines.
            It does. As gearhead stated Tadge mentioned this at Carlisle stating the upper 1/3 of the side scoops feed the engine intake.

Comment

Air intake in driver's side scoop. It's the smaller plastic duct at the top in front of the fan.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C8 Scoop air intake, L.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.9 KB ID:	65076

And here's the passenger side scoop air intake duct on the upper left:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Passenger scoop heat exchanger, intake?.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.7 KB ID:	65079

A cutaway view of the passenger side scoop air intake duct:

Click image for larger version  Name:	C8 air intake cutaway quarter.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.7 KB ID:	65078

In this photo you can (sort of) see the ductwork that routes the intake air over the wheel well and then centrally to the airbox:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	C8 airbox intake-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.12 MB ID:	65077

Comment

Neat. Pretty nifty they set it up to both sides feed the intake.

Comment

Great! Thanks guys.

Comment

At Carlisle, Tadge said this intake is much less restrictive AND provides cooler air than they could do in FE cars. In the FE, they either had to route the intake over the radiator, which heated the air, or have a sharp bend to get the intake out to the side where there was cool air. The curves in the ME intake are much more gradual.
                    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Another interesting bit of information is how with the rear trunk GM figured out how to evacuate the air out of the engine bay.

the large vents out back and of course the rear window design is seriously thought out.

when not moving or in traffic the hot air escapes via the openings surrounding the rear window.

that pretty cool engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by P-Tree View Post
                        Neat. Pretty nifty they set it up to both sides feed the intake.
                        I cannot see anything in the photos as duel airmass flow paths into 1 throttlebody
                        That would end up requiring 2 air-cleaners, air boxes and I do not see room for a second filter.

Problem happen when 2 opposing flows crash and causes turbulence which confuses the Mass AirFlow (MAF) and reports the air mass incorrectly
                        causing AFR issues by the PCM.
                        Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                        1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

Teamzr1, refer to Mobius's pic. The real car will have intake from both sides to air box, mirroring the right in that "show car" pic. Left side ducting is missing in the cutaway pix. That is my understanding from Tadge's comments on it.

Comment

Any photos I have seen has no signs of airbridges to both sides
                            I can see that would be needed when dual turbos exist

Name:	lt2a.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	65218

Name:	eb.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	65217
                            Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                            1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

Originally posted by Teamzr1 View Post

I cannot see anything in the photos as duel airmass flow paths into 1 throttlebody
                              That would end up requiring 2 air-cleaners, air boxes and I do not see room for a second filter.

Problem happen when 2 opposing flows crash and causes turbulence which confuses the Mass AirFlow (MAF) and reports the air mass incorrectly
                              causing AFR issues by the PCM.
                              Both sides feed the central airbox. This photo is of the LT7 but it's the same for the LT2:

Name:	C8 CAD LT7.png
Views:	790
Size:	610.9 KB
ID:	65372

And here's a CAD of the LT2 airbox:

Name:	C8 CAD2 LT2 airbox.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	65373

Comment