Jalopnik Says Z06 Is A “Monster!”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jalopnik Says Z06 Is A “Monster!”

800+ HP perhaps??? Thank you Jalopnik, for we are avid followers of your site, ever since a certain Jalopnik rendering (lol) appeared on Nov 11, 2011 of the C7 Z06. Visit you daily.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-c8-cor...rbo-1837538265

Here’s their Z06 predictions. However this picture actually comes from GM, a screen print ironically (or deliberating from the GM Reveal Livestream video.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F71471A5-8541-4B6C-AD47-3CA8CC776FF8.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	43.3 KB ID:	63638

Originally posted by Jalopnik
    The 2022 C8 Corvette Z06 Might Be An 800-HP Twin Turbo Monster: Report

Thanks to Max Finkel for this article.

Less than a month after the base-spec C8 Corvette was shown to the public, rumors of what the hotter C8s will be like are already percolating.

Automobile is reporting that the C8 Corvette Z06 is due as a 2022 model and could feature a version of Cadillac’s Blackwing hot V twin-turbo V8 making upwards of 800 horsepower and perhaps more than 700 lb-ft of torque. That engine won’t wear the Blackwing name though, probably trading it for LT7.

According to Automobile, the new Z06 could see some major changes from the base Corvette when it comes to the transmission as well. While this is far from confirmed, a 10-speed dual clutch gearbox could replace the 7-speed currently on offer. Perhaps less likely is the third pedal that is no longer an option on the standard car but Automobile says a manual transmission could be an option when the Z06 hits the market.

This upgraded powertrain could be matched to wider fenders to accommodate the fat rubber needed to put all of that power down, in addition to aerodynamic and suspension improvements like revised magnetic dampers and a massive wing and diffuser combo as rendered by Automobile that would keep the car planted on the track.
    Last edited by John; 08-24-2019, 07:14 PM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

They're quoting Automobile as the source.... just giving credit where credit is due.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...c8-mid-engine/

Comment

I'd give this more credibility if they didn't say the current DCT is a 7 speed. And GM said the costs of developing a 3 pedal manual for the C8 just don't work given the limited sales volume of a manual. For the even lower volume Z06, it makes even less sense. And everyone and his brother has predicted an engine based on the Blackwing. This sounds less like insider information, and more like someone just trying to sell magazines and generate clicks.
      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

It would not cost much to implement a pseudo manual stick and 3rd pedal, which actuates the DCT all electronically as it currently exists in C8. IOW, instead of traditional mech linkage and hydraulic lines, it's all elec, but the interface is analog, i.e., rowing a stick shift and mashing a 3rd pedal. It may seem gimmicky, but it would be no different in theory than a drive by wire throttle, elec. steering, elec. brakes, etc... I'm not sure how purists would take to it, but I'd give it a try. Tadge and Alex MacDonald are both stick guys. I'd imagine other top Vette brass are too. Therefore I think there's a chance manual could happen w/Z06.

Comment

I'd upgrade in a minute if they had a high revving 4 cam, 4 valve, twin turbo with about 650 or 700hp.

Comment

I heard one of the Corvette engineers at Carlisle this morning, who was the clearly they resident expert on the DCT, explaining over the DCT cutaway that they looked at a pseudo manual stick and 3rd pedal, but ultimately dismissed the idea. I can't recall his exact words, but he implied that since it would be all electronic, it was too gimmicky.
            Delivered 9/5/2020: 2LT C8 Coupe, Long Beach Red, Z51, FE4 Suspension, E60 Lift, Spectra Gray Tridents, GT1 Seats, Jet Black Interior

Comment

The probability is that the Corvette team intends to trample the supercars. And that the Z06 will be a performance spectacular.

There are historical indicators of intent: King of the Hill ZR1, 2002 C5 Z06, C6 Z06, 2009 Zr1, 2015 Z06, 2017 Zr1, C8R prototype . This is what they have been working towards for a ling time. The housing crisis stalled it. It is back on and going now.

There physical indicators of capacity: The C8 platform, The BlackWing engine, GM manufactures engines, The C8 cut-away reveals a serious piece of engineering and hardware. There are big plans for it.

There are comments and statements by Thadge and others comparing the C8 to the supercars.

We know what is coming. They could and may, as an alternative, simply instal the LT5 in the C8. But the videos of the C8R has an exhaust that is not LT5.

The people who intend to buy the C8 Z06 should enroll in special performance driving school yesterday. IMO. Guess work.

Last edited by SheepDog; 08-24-2019, 09:59 PM.

Comment

I can’t wait for the Z!! Going to be such a beast

Comment

Some of Tadge statements about the DCT on release makes me think there will be a monster version coming (big power and needed a more sturdy DCT). Why would anyone want a super/hyper car with a true manual and not have the high tech matching trans like the DCT ? I think it is a necessity with a car of that performance level.
                  2020 Convertible, Torch Red, 2LT, NPP, Natural, GT1, E60, Q8Q, perpetual status 3000

Comment

One of the important steps forward for the Corvette as a whole in recent years is that everything is actually what it appears to be. Scoops, aluminum, carbon fiber, whatever it is, it's real, not fake ('63 hood grilles, anyone?). Accordingly, making a "pseudo-manual" just seems like going backwards both conceptually and functionally. A pseudo-manual would slow the functioning of the DCT and might inject some service/warranty concerns. Doesn't seem consistent with a high-end pure sports car as a Z06 should be. Just my opinion.
                    Current: 2019 Coupe, Z06, 3LZ, Elkhart Lake Blue, Jet Black.
                    Former: 2015 Coupe, LT1, Z51 3LT, Laguna Blue, Jet Black.

Comment

I think a pseudo manual grafted onto a DCT would be like trying to add a rotary dial to a smart phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                        I think a pseudo manual grafted onto a DCT would be like trying to add a rotary dial to a smart phone.
                        That a good one. "A+++" for extra credit. I canceled my order for 2 of them after I read that.
                        Last edited by SheepDog; 08-25-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                          There IS an app for that.
                          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Porsche did away with the manual on GT3 a few years ago for the same reasons, but they brought it back because of customer clamor. Personally, it's about the driving experience. A manual is more engaging to me. I spent a good amount of time learning competent heel-toe shifts, rev match. It's just more fun. I feel more in control (even if I'm not). That psycho-mechanical relationship of car/driver is ingrained in me. I lust for a F430 manual, with "classic" gated shifter. Call me a dinosaur. But that piece of mechanical art is timeless. Absolutely BAD A$$.

Zero doubt, DCT is faster more techno in every way. Still 911R was made, and very collectible and desirable. They brought back GT3 manual couple years later, so yes there is a viable market for stick guys. I want a stick, because that's the way my brain has been wired through +35yrs of driving. I don't want to change that. Obviously I'm in the 20% minority. I'd rather have a true manual, but if GM can only muster a gimmick option, I'd consider it.

Comment

The bottom line is that I have an M7 in my '19 Z06 because I like manual transmissions, they're fun, and I have fun driving them.

Don't care about other reasons, or comparisons to automatics, or what other cars do or don't have a different transmission.

My name is on the registration, my bank account paid for it..... I get to decide what make me happy

And that, is all I've got to say about that

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X