MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

*Build & Price Your C8 with Spreadsheet:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-msrp-incl-dfc
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide:https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...=21905&type=0#
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c

Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

1/4 mile estimates/guesses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word on the street is that the C8 Z51 smokes the C7 ZO6 on GM's Milford Road Course.

Comment

Wow. Wonder when GM will give us the next batch of C8 info?
      Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of NCM.

Comment

My guess is they drop that bomb when production cars are available for press abuse and customer delivery.

Comment

When numbers are banded about how C8 is "fastest" then other Corvettes or number like 0-60 claimed, brings out us old timers of Corvettes

Marketing, marketing, numbers do not mean much until they are seen by the customers owning and testing the limits

Interesting is all type of tech numbers for the C8, except what the gear ratios are for each 8 gears of the DCT for C8 and what the drivetrain loss is versus
          what past Corvettes had with front engines
          Kinda seems from marketing the numbers flowing through cyberspace is from the Z51 which has a lower 3.80 rear end gear and not the higher gear for base C8
          and what tires were used on claimed 0-60 MPH time

C7's 8 speed A8 already has a low first gear as I show in running the C8 through simulators and compares to C7's Z06 and ZR1
          Shift times marketing of like 100 mSecs is no big deal as the C7 A8 TCM (controller) also commands quick shift times when not in cruise speeds.

In the end it is all about numbers and a game can be played with them by having a low first gear ratio but do not forget the lower it is the less MPH can can handle
          so at times where 0-60 MPH can be done in 2 gears, now requires 3 gear shifts and there time and if other gears for DCT can be higher ratio so
          what maybe a gain at 0-60 MPH causes a slower ET and trap speed in 1/4 mile

Let's assume with a front engine C7 with A8 that drivetrain loss is 17%, and with C8 mid engine design that drops the loss by half, that and the LT2 only being 30 flywheel HP more
          is not going to overall best a Z06 or ZR1 unless marking wants to stab in the back all C6/C7 Z06/ZR1 owner and all the unsold ones by a claim the C8 beats the hell out of them in all types of racing.

Let's take a C7 Z06, ZR1 and C8 ( all known values of C8, except the hidden numbers for gear ratios)
          and treat them all fairly by the numbers and equal as to elevation, weather, road surface and driver

Mull over these simulation results below and then still think C8 is the fastest or quickest of all past Corvettes ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	simulator.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	56264

Name:	simulator2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	56263

Name:	simulator4.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	56262

Compare testing
          Attached Files
          Corvettes owned and raced since 1975:
          1974,75,77,84,87,89,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

Thanks Teamzr1. We are all still awaiting the promised future, more detailed, performance numbers, both from GM and from 3rd parties (including drag slip results).

Comment

People need to take the simulators with a grain of salt.
              Do they take into account surface prep, and driver skill?
              How about weather conditions.

Great for internet bench racing I suppose.

Comment

This model/simulator began design back in 1990s. Started as use for airplanes
                Then was added a vehicle tool and consists of over 2,000 of them as to specs

I had this software tested when at GM and engineers said it was **** close to what they used

There is countless setting if wind, direction, weights of gas, driver, loses, elevation, tire/wheel sizes, tire patch, etc, etc

Does not take much experience for anyone at a stop launching to only 60 MPH in a straight line

Config to model

Comment

Excellent posts by so many members here..

i dont know where the c8 z51 will land in the quarter...

11 s is impressive

id suggest with the dct and rear weight bias that the c8 will best the c6 z06 et and trap speed,

Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT VK3 GKZ HTA

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Jesse View Post
                    People need to take the simulators with a grain of salt.
                    Do they take into account surface prep, and driver skill?
                    How about weather conditions.

Great for internet bench racing I suppose.
                    For some applications yes, but almost all race car drivers in sports car racing series extensively practice on them before they start racing on a race track new to them..

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

i dont know where the c8 z51 will land in the quarter...
                      11 s is impressive

id suggest with the dct and rear weight bias that the c8 will best the c6 z06 et and trap speed,

I am looking forward to when we can compare HP at the wheels for the new Mid-engine configuration as opposed to the FE versions. This could surprise us with numbers above the claimed 495 hp.
                      In addition to DCT and mid-engine architecture, I am sure that Launch Control is a contributing factor in the 0-60 times

Comment

If the C8 was already achieving a sub 11 second quarter mile time Chevy would have told us that already. That would have been even more significant than a sub 3 second quarter mile.

My guess is that they are still trying to achieve sub 11 second quarter mile times but they probably need to wait for cooler temperatures to make a real run at it.

in the end I think it will miss that mark and end up doing an 11.1 or 11.2 for the quarter mile. Still a really respectable time for a sub $75k car but I just don’t see sub 11 seconds with 495 HP happening.

There is only so much you can do before physics rears it’s ugly head.

Comment

Originally posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
                          If the C8 was already achieving a sub 11 second quarter mile time Chevy would have told us that already. That would have been even more significant than a sub 3 second quarter mile.

My guess is that they are still trying to achieve sub 11 second quarter mile times but they probably need to wait for cooler temperatures to make a real run at it.

in the end I think it will miss that mark and end up doing an 11.1 or 11.2 for the quarter mile. Still a really respectable time for a sub $75k car but I just don’t see sub 11 seconds with 495 HP happening.

There is only so much you can do before physics rears it’s ugly head.

The voice of reason! I agree that the low 11's are a good result on the C8. There are so many variables that any number is just a snapshot in time.

Comment

I am sticking on a ET at around 11.5 as stock, good weather and at sea-level with a 2.0 60 foot time

1. I doubt for first year GM would want having lots of warranty claims and will adhere to a 80% design rule and that also means the PCM tune not allowing max performance
                            2. Since C6 Z06 GM has done the SAE engine dyno and it's results to certify models specs, so if they say 490 flywheel for base ZC8 it will be **** close to that
                            3. I think there could be hell if as some think the C8 being a high 10 ET forcing C8 owners to hack car up out of the box just to go to a drag strip

NHRA Rules for a stocker :

11.99 seconds (7.49 1/8th)

Steel Valve Stems Arm Restraints (open cars)

11.49 seconds (7.35 1/8th)

SFI 1.1 or 1.2 Flywheel / Clutch SFI 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 or
                            Flywheel shield SFI 3.2A/1 approved jacket,6 point roll bar SFI approved seat belts

10.99 seconds (6.99 1/8th) or Super Street

SFI 4.1 Transmission Shield, or at 135 mph Locking transmission dipstick tube
                            Aftermarket axles and axle retainers SFI Harmonic Balancer
                            Roll Cage with altered floor pans,
                            or
                            135 mph - Window net required Ignition cut-off on all bikes / snowmobiles that exceed 135 mph
                            Last edited by Teamzr1; 08-13-2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

"That thing on top of the engine looks like it invites someone to replace it with a superCharger for 200 more HP. So the C8 will be doing 10.00 flat quarters by June 2020. And 210 MPH."

But we are talking stock."

A Chevy dude at the Road America C8 showing told me that there is just enough room between the firewall and the engine block to fit a pulley and a belt. I'm guessing an Edelbrock blower would fit nicely, and the DCT would take the torque. The question is the ECU re-programmability without having completely to replace it ? With GM's new hack-proofing of 100% of the vehicle software, that could be the stickiest part of the whole deal.

Comment

For 99 percent of us ...a sub 3 second zero to 60 times really is quick enough.

i wont be jeopardizing my gm warranty or my planned gmepp warranty with engine mods to get quicker times.

zero sixty in sub 3 seconds ...

Why mess around with a first year vehicle with engine mods...

take driving courses ...thats the better way to make your car faster..

that said...a slight improvement over the well driven c6 z06 is a logical assumption.

Dead stock. 11.5 @ 127,5 for the c6 z06.

clip a few tenths and add a mph or two.

jmo
                                Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT VK3 GKZ HTA

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X