Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Magnetic Ride Control .. Do I need this?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bikerjulio
    Founding Member & Sr. Contributor
    • Jul 2018
    • Sunny Niagara

Originally posted by Klinn
    Yup, you're right, I didn't phrase that very well. I meant that I'm in for the cost of the Z51 package whatever it is, and hopefully adding the FE4 on top of that doesn't cost too much more.
    I wonder why they don't include it?
    2020 C8 Corvette.D.O.B 2/03/2020
    Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
    2LT, Z51 + MRC. GT1 seats.
    Spectra Grey Tridents.
    Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

• mjw930
      Forum Founding Member
      • Jul 2018
      • Daytona Beach Area

Originally posted by Bikerjulio

I wonder why they don't include it?
      To keep the package price as low as they can. There are also some track rats that won’t buy it because they want to dial in their own shock setting with Penske or other track shocks.
      Mark

Comment

• NCMlifer
        Contributing Member & Patron
        • Jul 2019
        • ICE COLD TUNDRA OF MSP! :)

I posed a related question about the Z51 package in general for road use. The information video says that it's specifically for track use. Nothing suggesting it made any improvement to a road-only car.
        Great Q - makes a world of difference for road "feel" in the Caddy and it's not nearly as jarring with MRC.

Ferrari apparently licenses it from GM, if that means anything.

Brass tax - If your Vette is a garage queen I would honestly say - no. However if you are driving daily like the gentleman above (especially w the z option) - YES it becomes a necessity.
        Not sure if you have ever driven a late get Viper but those are ROUGH, like painful, so I imagine the z will be stiff - the car has to be, (guessing) so in that case the MRC is really no longer an option but necessary for a tolerable ride
        NCM Life Member

Comment

• whl3
          ZORA Patron, Founder, & Sr. Contributor
          • Jul 2018
          • Cincinnati

If you don’t know if you have MRC, just look at the top
          of your shocks in the front engine bay. If it has an “electrical” wire attached to it, you have MRC.

What I think says a lot about GM’s MRC, which hasn’t been mentioned, is that they continually upgrade it. John mentioned that the MRC for the C8 is better than the C7’s. The version for the C8 is 4.0. Not sure what the C7 was but I really appreciated being able to upgrade my 2015 Z51 MRC (even at a cost of $350) to what they were installing on later 2017 models and beyond. Like most who did the upgrade, it was “seat-of-the-pants” noticeable to both me and my right seat passenger. It’s also been confirmed “numerically” to make a difference at the track.

I know one of the engineers that develops current MRC software. He was at the last Nurburgring test doing final calibration on the C8’s MRC. Given the C8’s MRC now has a fully independent suspension to work with, it should provide for an interesting ride no matter what your purpose of purchasing a C8!

Bill
          GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; RCC ER Intake Cover; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Proud LTM NCM.

Comment

• John
            co-founder/admin
            • Jun 2018
            • PNW

One note about the thought above that the Z51 will be stiff; Harlan & Tadge both noted that due to the better overall tires, suspension and more of the ME, that they were actually able to “detune” the suspension of the Z51, making it a softer sprung car than a C7 Z51.
            2023 Z06: Elkhart Lake Blue, 2-tone blue interior, HTC, Standard Z06 with Z07 aero pkg, CCB’s, 3LZ, E60, all visible carbon fiber including wheels, & Jake Design Pkg. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 26 year NCM members. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

• Phil1098
              Senior Contributor
              • Jul 2019
              • Central Illinois

One other thought based on stepping way back and looking at this overall. We tend to put way too much thought into things (that's Ok, but sometimes it gets in the way of the obvious). Think about it, Chevrolet requires you to get Z51 to be able to order MRC. Nobody looking for a better ride is selecting Z51, it's track focused and is going to be firmer than standard suspension. They may very well be offering it just to try and get some compliance back.

Comment

• Bikerjulio
                Founding Member & Sr. Contributor
                • Jul 2018
                • Sunny Niagara

Originally posted by Phil1098
                One other thought based on stepping way back and looking at this overall. We tend to put way too much thought into things (that's Ok, but sometimes it gets in the way of the obvious). Think about it, Chevrolet requires you to get Z51 to be able to order MRC. Nobody looking for a better ride is selecting Z51, it's track focused and is going to be firmer than standard suspension. They may very well be offering it just to try and get some compliance back.
                I'm going to agree with all except the last sentence.

The shocks can affect jounce and rebound but not the basic spring rates.

If the spring rates in the Z51 package are higher than base then it's going to have a harsher ride regardless of shock settings.

Interesting that the original application of MRC was in Cadillacs. There it could firm up a soft suspension. It cannot soften up a hard suspension.

ps. I initially wrote "dampers". Even after all these years I still forget where I am sometimes! But then I was thinking that the English "damper" is a way more descriptive and correct that the American "shock absorber", since it's really the springs that absorb shocks and the dampers that control the action of the springs.

Last edited by Bikerjulio; 07-28-2019, 02:20 PM.
                2020 C8 Corvette.D.O.B 2/03/2020
                Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                2LT, Z51 + MRC. GT1 seats.
                Spectra Grey Tridents.
                Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

• George
                  ZORA Patron, Founder & Sr. Contributor
                  • Jul 2018
                  • Wisconsin

Originally posted by Phil1098
                  One other thought based on stepping way back and looking at this overall. We tend to put way too much thought into things (that's Ok, but sometimes it gets in the way of the obvious). Think about it, Chevrolet requires you to get Z51 to be able to order MRC. Nobody looking for a better ride is selecting Z51, it's track focused and is going to be firmer than standard suspension.

Thanks so much Phil, I think that really helps put things in perspective on what can become a painfully detailed, and almost endless discussion based on personal preferences.

Having run high performance cars for over 50 years, and no longer interested in the track, I'm thinking my C7 Z51 might be my last Z51. I do some spirited driving (for a 73 year old, hopefully with good sense) but am nowadays interested in a firm, responsive, but comfortable grand touring machine. Still not 100% decided, but just can't see why the Z51 would add anything to my enjoyment...especially with the now fully independent suspension in the C8. Hope I get to drive one before I must decide.

'64 Silver Gray Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
                  '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - ( wonderful )
                  Several others including two C7's
                  '20... Zeus Bronze Coupe, ( GAME CHANGER )
                  '24... Hypersonic Gray Coupe - 2LT, Black GT2, MSRC, Body color vents, Stealth int. trim, Q90 Satin granite wheels
                  ( 60 years of Corvette ownership )😀

Comment

• Frenzy36
                    ZORA Patron, Founder & Sr. Contributor
                    • Jul 2018
                    • Rocket City - Florida

I'm going to agree with all except the last sentence.

The shocks can affect jounce and rebound but not the basic spring rates.

If the spring rates in the Z51 package are higher than base then it's going to have a harsher ride regardless of shock settings.

Interesting that the original application of MRC was in Cadillacs. There it could firm up a soft suspension. It cannot soften up a hard suspension.

ps. I initially wrote "dampers". Even after all these years I still forget where I am sometimes! But then I was thinking that the English "damper" is a way more descriptive and correct that the American "shock absorber", since it's really the springs that absorb shocks and the dampers that control the action of the springs.
                    You hit the nail in the head I have 2 ATS Caddy's 1 with and 1 without. The ATS with MRC definitely has a stiffer suspension or ride in general no matter what you set it at.
                    Rocket City Florida - 2013 427 Vert - 2015 ZO6 - 2020 Stingray

Comment

• Phil1098
                      Senior Contributor
                      • Jul 2019
                      • Central Illinois

I agree with this to a degree, and here is why. If a bump was a bump, then it would be real easy to damp that said bump at a certain speed. There are deep long rolling type bumps and hard sharp edged "quick" bumps. Both need a completely different valving in the shock. If you are already firm on springs and hit a "quick" sharp bump with middle of the road compromise valving, it just became harsh. If that same car hit that same bump and the shock accounted for the type (MRC) it could take some of the harshness out.

Comment

• JB
                        Senior Contributing Member & Patron
                        • Jul 2018

Fwiw i found non runflat tires go a long way in making the ride velvety smooth.

im gojng with the fe4 mrc shocks to see what all the hub bub is about first hand..

its supposed to be great and im willing to drop the approximate 1800 dollars to experience effect of this technology..

for ferrari to put it on its cars from delco what the hell...

i drive z51 daily with bilsteins sports and im happy...im assuming the mrc shocks will be even better.

Comment

• bobbytinvab
                          Sr. Contributing Member & Patron
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Virginia Beach, VA

Agree JB ... run flats really make the ride stiff IMHO. I have them on my car, and a similarly equipped car owned by my good friend went to non run flat A/S tires, his car is noticeably "less firm". Some may wonder why the change, but he likes it.

Comment

• electroVette
                            Sr. Contributor
                            • Sep 2018
                            • Michigan

In my view MRC is an integral of the Corvette experience. They didn't spend all that time at Nürburgring to tune the standard non adjustable dampers, they were there to dial in MRC. Other companies license MRC from GM, from Ferrari to Ford, because it's simply the best adaptive suspension technology on the market . And no other company can match GM's expertise at MRC calibration.

There are only two disadvantages to MRC that I know of:
                            1. It's expensive, both as an option and especially when you need to replace the dampers.
                            2. Reliability is not very good. I see and hear a lot of reports about leaky MRC dampers.

Conclusion: If you can pay to play, then get it!

Comment

• Explosive!
                              Forum Founding Member
                              • Jul 2018
                              • Dorchester Ontario Canada

Thanks JB for your input in regards to MRC and Z51 options to me both expensive for average street driving. I agree it all depends on ones priority, I just want a fantastic looking Corvette with the standard engine sufficient for me.

Comment

• TOMDOM69
                                Senior Contributor
                                • Oct 2018

we my perspective is only with a camaro. I have a 2017 2ss convertible with MRC and I love it. you can really feel a difference between tour and sport you realize there are alot more cracks on the road. Now in track mode, you'll notice every any you crush.

To me it's a total package thing... When I turn the dial it changes your driving experience tightening the steering, suspension, shifting (exhaust is on loud all the time .
                                I mean if I'm going going to have a dial I want it to make it feel like a different car. In my camaro it does and I don't know that it would if the suspension didn't change with it.

I say if you get the Z51 IMOP It would be foolish not to spend the extra $2k for the MRC

I am getting the Z51 and the MRC is a big part of that decision.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...