Dct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dct

It was previously speculated that the Corvette's DCT would either be the PDK 8 speed used in the Porsche 918 or it would share the Tremec 7 speed with the Ford GT500. It turns out it's neither, as the transmission is made by Tremec but is an eight speed. According to Tadge the first gear is steep to improve acceleration, gears 2-6 are very close ratio for track performance and gears 7 and 8 are for cruising and economy.

Probably somewhat similar to the existing 8 speed in the C7 as far as ratios, First geer may be steeper, but I feel the existing 8 speed has a steep 1st geer and I never get into 7th or 8tj paddle shifting around town. Definitely not the PDK or ZF and hopefully it will be a good tranny. I plan on this being my last toy car that will last me for years, well, until GM has the C9.

Comment

C&D stated it was a Tremec 8-speed back in May 2018. Subsequently there was corroborating information to back that up, but nothing could stop the plethora of uninformed speculation and gossip on this topic. I'm so glad it's all over.

That and the equally futile price discussions.
      2020 C8 Corvette.D.O.B 2/03/2020
      Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
      2LT, Z51 + MRC. GT1 seats.
      Spectra Grey Tridents.
      Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

First, I admit that I was wrong about the base price of this car. However, in defense of the pre-reveal price estimates, $60k is truly a loss leader of a figure. I have read every one of the posts on this forum, in a wide variety of threads, since the reveal and the "under $60,000" statement from Mark Reuss but no one has eluded to buying the bare bones vehicle. In fact, more have recognized that they may step up to the LT3 package vs. the LT2 for various reasons. I don't think anyone on this forum, so far, has suggested spending much less then $80k. Once again making this nothing short of a pricier car then anticipated.

Comment

The only cars GM sells that aren't profitable are their EVs, which are now sold for CAFE offsets to enable the sales of cars like the Corvette.

Even without a single option, the Corvette is highly profitable to GM. It's frankly ludicrous to say that it's a "loss leader." If base Corvettes sold at a loss for GM then there wouldn't be any C8 Corvette and Juechter would be tossed out on his ear.

One could argue that the base price is just to lure customers in the door so they can be upsold to a higher trim C8, but that's the strategy for pretty much every car sold in the US.

Comment

I am guessing you can get a Z51 / LT2 package for less the $70K, and have all the performance that 99% of those not this forum could ever realistically use.

The Z06 and the ZR1, when they come, will be AWD. The Z06 will have a supercharger on the LT2 (call it an LT6) and a prop shaft off the Tremec DCT to drive the front wheels, with a transfer case in the tunnel. The ZR1 will likely be hybrid with a battery and an ISG driven by the DOHC TT 5.5L "boutique engine".

I think the big jump in cost will be from the Z06 to the ZR1, since they could, for less than $10,000, put a supercharger on the LT2 to get to ~650 HP and a prop shaft to the front axle for AWD for the Z06. The ZR1 will be the real supercar - an American Porsche 918. It will have an engine that is $20K more expensive than a SBC V-8, AND a $20K hybrid system with regenerative braking, etc.

Add it all up and I am guessing this price structure:

Base -$60K, Z51-$65 to 70K, Z06-$75 to 90K, ZR1-$150 to 175K.

I could be wrong, but about 10 people on both ME Corvette and Corvette Forum owe me bottle of fine Scotch on their dubious base price premonitions on the base model. I told you guys $65K or less. You dudes know who you are !!!

Comment

Originally posted by electroVette View Post
              The only cars GM sells that aren't profitable are their EVs, which are now sold for CAFE offsets to enable the sales of cars like the Corvette.

Even without a single option, the Corvette is highly profitable to GM. It's frankly ludicrous to say that it's a "loss leader." If base Corvettes sold at a loss for GM then there wouldn't be any C8 Corvette and Juechter would be tossed out on his ear.

One could argue that the base price is just to lure customers in the door so they can be upsold to a higher trim C8, but that's the strategy for pretty much every car sold in the US.

Probably not sold at a loss, but I suspect a much lower profit margin on the base car than on Z51s, 2LTs and 3LTs.
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Current C7: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black overDaytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

It's a lower profit margin for sure, but volume is also important. The higher the volume, the lower GM's manufacturing costs, so the higher the margins on the upscale trims and model variants.

The razor thin margins are on the economy cars priced way below a Corvette. Even the base Stingray remains an expensive car at nearly twice the price of the average car.

Comment

Originally posted by ZORA 69 View Post
                  I plan on this being my last toy car that will last me for years, well, until GM has the C9.
                  This makes me laugh.. mostly because it could be true for most of us...

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X