Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette: Meet NCM’s Director of Collections & Education Brian Baker

The National Corvette Museum continues to add A-List talent to their roster! On this episode of CORVETTE TODAY, your host, Steve Garrett, introduces you to the new Director of Collections & Education at the Museum, Brian Baker. https://youtu.be/Soa0Cpikv3k; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...JQPOZZgm2OBhQ4. Brian has a rich working history with General Motors and actually was the designer of the SSR! Brian joined the NCM recently and has a wonderful vision of the future for the Museum. You'll hear all about that in this episode of CORVETTE TODAY.

VISIT THE WEBSITE, LISTEN TO THE SHOW, WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO, JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP, SIGN UP FOR EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS AND SHOP IN THE MERCHANDISE STORE AT:
www.CorvetteToday.com
2 of 3 < >

Your Lottery Z06 Christmas Present

Tired of waiting and want a long shot to get your Z06? I have two friends who between them have won three new Corvettes. Is this your Christmas self-present? https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...iversary-coupe. Might you be the third friend who wins a Corvette lottery by buying just one ticket? Of course still going to be many months until you are driving it, but if you win a heck of lot cheaper than your/my other plan.
3 of 3 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

In & Around Town Drive Modes...is there a recommended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShrikePilot
    replied
    Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
    As I understand it, part of what you are trying to accomplish on break in is heating and cooling of pistons and combustion chamber parts. This thermal heating and cooling helps to relieve stresses in the materials. So its not just varying of speed, its also varying of throttle positions. And of course, these days, with adoptive logic in transmissions and other systems, you are giving those systems some initial learning of your driving style.
    With the heating & cooling, you are absolutely correct.

[Aero engineer/pilot/mechanic in me kicking in] Aircraft piston engines go through the same thing for the first 25 or so hours after overhaul. A typical break-in cycle for an aircraft piston engine (such as a Lycoming IO-320) will consist of running the engine slightly lean of peak EGT, making sure the owner/operator has the understanding that during this time, that cylinder and exhaust gas temps will be about 15-20 C above "normal" for a given condition. This is a direct consequence of the increased friction between the new rings, pistons and cylinder walls. In addition, oil consumption will be higher. But, if the owner/operator follows prescribed break-in procedures correctly, there should not be a problem. This said, we strongly recommend against "staying in the pattern", ie, frequently going from low to high power demand during this time.

This is identical to the good book telling us not to be going to track days and such until we hit about 1500 miles...which loosely equates out to about 40-45 engine/powertrain run hours on the car (given a 35-ish mph average speed). Statistically, if there are to be any engine/powertrain issues, it typically will happen within 50 hours of overhaul (or time since new)....high time engines & powertrains are at significantly lower risk, provided they're operated within limitations and maintained precisely as prescribed.

Then again, 7500 miles, with an average speed of about 35 miles per hour, comes out to 214.2 hours total time, which you can probably round up to about 250. Aircraft piston engines, such as the Lycoming line, typically get their oil changed every 50 hours, which is about right given how they have changed very, very little (design-wise) in the last 60-plus years! The LT2 is among the state of the art in pushrod OHV engine technology.

Then again, I know another C8 owner in the area who, the day after doing an R8C delivery in fall 2021, burned through a whole tank of fuel at an NCM track day...then started the drive back up this way that afternoon...and has not reported any issues with his to this day. But I don't think any of us here would ever endorse that...

In any case, thank for the feedback, fam!

Leave a comment:

• Milliwatt Rob
    replied
    As I understand it, part of what you are trying to accomplish on break in is heating and cooling of pistons and combustion chamber parts. This thermal heating and cooling helps to relieve stresses in the materials. So its not just varying of speed, its also varying of throttle positions. And of course, these days, with adoptive logic in transmissions and other systems, you are giving those systems some initial learning of your driving style.

Leave a comment:

• Jetdriver
    replied
    I have a '20 LT1 non-Z51 coupe. SO I didn't have a lot of things to adjust in the programmable modes. Although in Z and My modes there is a setting for exhaust. I never really quite understood that setting as I don't have NPP on the car and yet I had the option of selecting Sport for the exhaust note. So during break-in I used manual somewhat to vary the RPMs, and kept the driving experience local. Transition from V8 to V4 was always seamless, and I drove in many different traffic environments to switch up the RPMs. I use My mode mostly now, with Sport selected for drive train, tour selected for steering and brake response, and Sport exhaust. Although the exhaust doesn't matter anymore. My original order was too far along in status code to add NPP exhaust when I finally decided to add it. Two days ago I had Paragon install their touring exhaust on the car, and now it sounds much better than the NPP would have given me anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Phil1098
    replied
    A lot of this is like a guy saying he changes his oil every 1,000 miles and has no engine problems, so if you don't want to have engine problems you need to change your oil every 1,000 miles. The problem is, there aren't any engine problems on cars changing the oil every 7,500 miles either, he drew a false conclusion and professes it to be a needed procedure. What I'm saying is, I have yet to see anyone with a problem that was directly related to how they broke in their car. There are many that picked up their cars at the museum and drove them all the way home on the interstate and droned along the whole way home. I can hardly wait to read about the specifics of how to break in a LT6 on the Z06 when every one of them have already been run in on a dyno for 20 minutes being run to red line and all over the range.

Leave a comment:

• jmickfly
    replied
    I am in sport mode most all the time. I will switch between auto & manual depending on conditions and the situation. Manual shiffting gives a much better control of RPMs. In auto mode in traffic when you accelarate and slow down the trans gets confused...The car wants to go fast. At Springhill you are in manual the entire time. When I returned to my car it didn't seem to "feel" the same, until I switched to manual...I also tend to downshift to slow down and try to use less brakes. The brake dust is the worst I have seen. Thinking of changing pads and suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• Phil1098
    replied
    I suspect it's the absolute extreme that would/could make any difference at all I.E. picking up the car driving one mile to the interstate and setting the cruise for 500 miles. On my way home I took two lane roads and within seconds I was going 60 mph and things weren't varying for miles at a time. I did of course slow down and stop etc. (just normal driving) but I didn't down shift and up shift every 200 feet. It's just like these posters that say "I drive my car hard so mine never would go into AFM mode" total BS, that statement ONLY applies on a race track. On public roads (if you are in a mode that AFM will engage) it happens within the first mile of driving because there are speed limits and prudence.

Leave a comment:

• Heidi
    replied
    I have stayed in my mode (Sport set up except for NPP in track) since day one and only change to weather in heavy downpours. Z mode is set to tour in case I suddenly reach a bad pot hole stretch and need to tone it down some quickly. Car has over 6K miles now, mostly town driving and absolutely no problems so far. As others have said: Make sure you don't use cruise control until after break in period.
    Heidi
    Save the Wave👋

Leave a comment:

• Ragtop 99
    replied
    mode doesn't really matter so long as you're moderating the throttle to stay under the rpm limit and you're varying rpms. I used weather (picked car up in Jan) and tour, and I used the paddles to vary rpms when i was on a highway stretch. I'd also cycle my speed up and down so that the rear diff wasn't at a constant rpm.

Leave a comment:

• 16falcon
    replied
    That’s what I do too. I might have braking on “Sport” as well, I can’t remember. I think I set the braking at the same level for both My Mode and Z Mode so I would always get the same brake feel.

Leave a comment:

• Boomer
    replied
    In & Around Town Drive Modes...is there a recommended?

I use My Mode with touring set for everything except NPP.

Leave a comment:

• Meldoon
    replied
    Manual mode may be helpful in varying r.p.m………👍

Leave a comment:

• Phil1098
    replied
    At the end of the day, it's not as critical as some would want you to believe. Mine had varied driving and plenty AFM activation along the way during the first 500 miles. Car has 5,300 miles now and uses no oil at all and has done a 0-60 with the on board of 2.6 seconds (plenty healthy).

Leave a comment:

• kcclark66204
    replied
    Unless you are a real performance nut, you have very little or no use for the manual mode. I used 'nut' in a good sense. jmo

Leave a comment:

• My1stVette
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    Exactly and no cruise control for the key is varying RPM. That allows the rings to best seat.
    Is it best to leave in Drive vs. Manual during break-in?

Leave a comment:

• kcclark66204
    replied
    From the info you provided, you should run in Touring mode full time. That frequent V8-V4 transition was developed for those of us who like good fuel mileage. Use it, you'll like it and it does not affect the performance in any way other than get you in the 25 to 28 mpg range.

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X