Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette Today: Carbon Revolution, from Australia, Discuss Their Carbon Fiber Wheels

Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett sits down with Tim deSouze from Australia and Brad Lethorn from their North American office. https://youtu.be/F0LBAqkYjY4; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...rxNOYlIxPjYr24. Tim and Brad talk about the origins of the company, what other car brands they make Carbon Fiber wheels for and the future of Carbon Fiber!It's a fascinating and informative show! Don't miss this episode of CORVETTE TODAY.

Don't miss a single episode of CORVETTE TODAY on podcast and YouTube. Each week's episode launches on Monday at 12 midnight Eastern Time.Listen to the show, watch the YouTube video, join the Facebook group, sign up for email notifications and shop in the CORVETTE TODAY Merchandise Store at:
www.CorvetteTodayPodcast.com
2 of 3 < >

Ten Words Maximum Or POTM’s Disqualified

Every single month people are forgetting how to count to ten — the maximum amount of words in our POTM contest. So starting tomorrow, if your entry exceeds 10 words, it would be DISQUALIFIED for the month. No “re-do’s,” edits. nor substitutions afterward.
3 of 3 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Non-Runflat PS4S Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Runflat PS4S Tires

Hi all,
    Unfortunately, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflat generic version is very much in a shortage right now. Has anyone fitted PS4S tires with MO1 (Mercedes-AMG) marks or N0 (Porsche) marks on their cars? Currently, Tire Rack only has Mercedes-AMG tires for front axle (245) and N0 Porsche for rear (305) -- so I'm wondering how will the handling characteristic will be like. My intent is for a "compromised" set that I can track and daily-drive as well, so I still need some wet grip. I'm not going with Cup 2 or 200TW (but I may if I'm getting third set of wheels.)
    Worst case: I could go with runflat, but given that I'm tracking my car too, as well as using as daily-driver - I'd prefer PS4S.
    Thanks!
    Follow me @smurf.vette on Instagram -- https://www.instagram.com/smurf.vette

Have you called Luke [email protected] Rack? He can sometimes source tires when no one else can? Please tell them I sent you (not on commission of course) be we are hoping they become a MECF vendor some day.

(800) 428-8355; ext 4362

I hope he can find you a set of PS4S’s.
    Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I can't answer your question specifically, but OEM spec tires can be VERY different from brand to brand and from generic replacement versions. This video compares BMW * spec to the generic aftermarket. It's pretty eye opening. Without knowing what the Mercedes and Porsche engineers emphasized and optimized, I don't think I'd combine them. You could end up with more oversteer, more understeer, or who knows what.

Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
        I can't answer your question specifically, but OEM spec tires can be VERY different from brand to brand and from generic replacement versions. This video compares BMW * spec to the generic aftermarket. It's pretty eye opening. Without knowing what the Mercedes and Porsche engineers emphasized and optimized, I don't think I'd combine them. You could end up with more oversteer, more understeer, or who knows what.

That was the exact video that made me think hard since I need to know how the compounds are like and how have anyone done it before. Given that non-runflat PS4S tires are really out of stock everywhere, I'm left with no choice. BMW* is more like a Cup 2 disguised in PS4S clothing, and Porsche N-spec 305 is very much reinforced to handle the weight of engine hanging behind the rear axle. I guess I can write a few reports after this experiment!

Comment

Originally posted by KK87 View Post

That was the exact video that made me think hard since I need to know how the compounds are like and how have anyone done it before. Given that non-runflat PS4S tires are really out of stock everywhere, I'm left with no choice. BMW* is more like a Cup 2 disguised in PS4S clothing, and Porsche N-spec 305 is very much reinforced to handle the weight of engine hanging behind the rear axle. I guess I can write a few reports after this experiment!

I couldn't find available tires in the stock sizes so I went "Plus 1" and got P4S in 315 and 255. No problem with immediate delivery.

You lose the weight of the runflats and gain a small amount of tire surface for grip.

Comment

Quick report after 700 miles, and still 9/32nd on the tread depth -- It was perfectly fine, until it was not.

I could add a few things about OEM-marked tires after experiencing puncture damage, that I planned on tracking these tires on wet day. I ran the PS4S Porsche N0-spec on rear axle and picked up a puncture on the left rear. Unfortunately, Tire Rack does not have any N0-spec in the rear size until late July, so the best they offered was one PS4S Audi AO-spec tire for Audi R8. So, mixed set of AO on left rear, and N0 on right rear - but both are Michelin PS4S from the same production week even.

It became TERRIBLE and SKETCHY! The car would hard-brake straight without any problem, under light acceleration it was fine. But anything more than half-throttle, the car pulls violently left (I assume when eLSD locks up under heavier load, the wheel with more traction gets to pull) -- I needed to add 5-10 degrees steer countersteer right to pull the car straight. So, again, not all PS4S are the same, even from Audi and Porsche, which one would assume are similar as they are from supercars.

Will be heading back to Tire Rack later this weekend to get another AO marked tire for the right rear. So, a nail has just costed quite a lot of $$$ damage. Thankfully, Tire Rack Road Hazard is picking up the tab for the punctured tire, but I'm out-of-pocket for the other good tire.

Lesson learned: Even the same make and model of tires are not the same. Always check if you get a set of replacement tires, that at least they are same marked on the same axle.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your severe tire issues. Hopefully I you have this all figured out and have them no more!
              Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
              Working...
              X