Collapse

C8 Needs No Catch Can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am also reminded of a comment that Al Oppenheimer (then the equivalent “rank” as Tadge), in responding to a Q&A session, “don’t you think if GM had any concerns about damaged caused to our engines that we would not have spend $10 per car for a separate catch can?” At the time Al said that he was the Executive Chief Camaro Engineer and was selling his 1lE 1LZ (I think that was their nomenclature) Camaro’s which while street legal, were track focuses (X2) and which came OEM with a catch can.

Does this portend that the Z06/Z07 will come with a separate catch can system?

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      I am also reminded of a comment that Al Oppenheimer (then the equivalent “rank” as Tadge), in responding to a Q&A session, “don’t you think if GM had any concerns about damaged caused to our engines that we would not have spend $10 per car for a separate catch can?”
      Frankly, no, I don't think that. Can you imagine a Chevy dealer telling a buyer, "Oh, and you're going to have to bring the car back every 1,000 miles so we can empty the oil out of the catch can. And if you don't, it could cause serious engine damage when liquid oil gets sucked into the intake." Even the most loyal Chevy buyer would walk out of the dealership at that point. Auto manufacturers are making service intervals as long as they possibly can, because that's what buyers see as "low maintenance and reliable."

If the damage (build up on the intake valves) is invisible to the owner, and any performance degradation gradual enough that buyers will never notice, I have no doubt GM (and Ford, and VW, and Toyota, and.....) will choose to ignore it.

At the time Al said that he was the Executive Chief Camaro Engineer and was selling his 1lE 1LZ (I think that was their nomenclature) Camaro’s which while street legal, were track focuses (X2) and which came OEM with a catch can.
      Doesn't that have the same engine as the C7 Z06? Yet the Corvette didn't have catch can. Was that because GM figured track focused buyers would actually do the maintenance, whereas the typical street oriented Z06 owner wouldn't?
      Last edited by meyerweb; 07-27-2021, 04:18 PM.
      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by 2021articspeed View Post
        Id like to know how many of the people saying a catch can wont help keep oil mist from intake went ahead an added the 2 quarts of DCT oil?
        People taking one person as gospel...lol. The line going from engine to intake "catch can location" doesn't have anything to do with the dry sump.
        system.
        I agree.

GM has also told us that
        • Water collecting in the front shock towers isn't "an issue" (I put on aftermarket caps).
        • The leaking front lift reservoir cap isn't a problem, since as fluid leaks out over time there is less fluid remaining in the reservoir to leak, so the problem is "self correcting" (I purchased the upgraded leak-proof GM cap and replaced it myself).
        • Pitting of the front AC condenser "radiators" due to road debris isn't an issue (I installed radiator screens to prevent debris damage).
        I'd say that these above items are non-issues from a warranty perspective, since many owners will drive their car for the 5 year warranty period and never even be aware that these problems are occuring.

Anyway, discussion of catch cans is always sure to stir-up some spirited conversation.

FYI - I also added the 2 qts of DCT oil as a preventative measure, after encountering a loss of even gears at ~5,100 miles. I was able to correct the issue on my own, had the DCT filter replaced, and I think the extra fluid (and the filter change) has helped to prevent a recurrence (just under 11,000 miles now).
        My C8:
        '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
        '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
        '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
        '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post

FYI - I also added the 2 qts of DCT oil as a preventative measure, after encountering a loss of even gears at ~5,100 miles. I was able to correct the issue on my own, had the DCT filter replaced, and I think the extra fluid (and the filter change) has helped to prevent a recurrence (just under 11,000 miles now).
          I just did mine at 1500. I BABIED my car for the first 1500 mines and just had the oil and DCT filter ahcnged and added the DCT 2 quarts. Better safe than sorry. I think it shifts a bit smoother not but that could all in my head. Glad to hear your tranny issues seems to have gone away.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmraco View Post
            Just curious, if the system works so well why are people getting oil in their catch cans?
            Exactly. I installed one a couple of months ago, and just drained about 2 ounces of nasty black stuff after 1800 miles! This is something you would not want to dump back into the crankcase, let alone the throttle body. Maybe you consider it a "secondary catch can" after the one built into the dry sump system, but this is one mod I'm quite happy with.

Comment

This is a great discussion. I did install the UPR catch can just in case and will post what it collects every 1000 miles. The pictures show what came out of the can after being turned over on a paper towel for 5 minutes and what came out from wiping down the inside thoroughly.

, Click image for larger version

Name:	20210911_133137.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	309703 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210911_133331.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	309706
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you. I will continue without having one (as I have one every Corvette I have ever owned). Your thread however will be useful to many. Thanks.
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ssams View Post
                  This is a great discussion. I did install the UPR catch can just in case and will post what it collects every 1000 miles. The pictures show what came out of the can after being turned over on a paper towel for 5 minutes and what came out from wiping down the inside thoroughly.
                  Are those pics after 1000 miles of use? The seems like significantly less oil than I got in my C7 every 1000 miles.
                  Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Mobius, I have the UPR can,and am getting about the same amount of oil in mine also. It makes sense too me to keep on..

Comment

Yes Meyerweb...just to confirm the pictures were taken 1000 miles after the installation of the catch can.

Comment

Thanks Sams. Very valuable information. Wow, as meyerweb noted, that is a lot less than in a C7. Kudos to GM powertrain engineers for one more way of improving the LT2 over the LT1.

Comment

OF course a catch can was not necessary.

catch cans were never required on stock cars.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                            OF course a catch can was not necessary.

catch cans were never required on stock cars.
                            No, not required. But that doesn't mean not useful.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

No, not required. But that doesn't mean not useful.
                              My corvette technician of over 20 years who does the service seminars at bowling green and corvettes of carlisle suggested to me to not do the catch cans

i trust his technical expertise more than anyone else's on what to do with corvettes.

please feel free to do as you please. This is a free country.

if The corvette engineers thought catch cans were important they would have designed them to have them. The system is designed withoutncatch cans.

I know who I take my advice from is a reputable and knowledgable individual.

im glad corvette owners are happy. As I stated earlier catch cans will not go on my corvettes.

Comment

JB, your Tech, Paul Koerner, is a GM World Master Corvette Technician (there are just a handful of those). I too go with whatever advice Paul shares. I attended his two hour C8 seminar at NCM two weeks ago. Even more impressed with him now that I ever was walking in (and I came into it with his having solved a problem in 2006 with our C6 Z06 at any earlier session — without his even seeing that car).

If Paul says no need for a catch can for our C8, then I too will be driving and smiling without one on mine.

YOMV.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X