Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

PRIVATE MESSAGE HINT/HELP

Some are having trouble seeing a PM another member has sent them, saying it is just the title and then a big white blank page. Just click on the title and the message will open up for you. Thanks.
See more
See less

C8 Needs No Catch Can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8 Needs No Catch Can

Paul Koerner, Corvette Master Tech explains to us via a transmittal, cross-post from CorvetteBlogger why, for the C8 already has a catch can system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C3FA241C-D256-4D3B-A17A-2398611A56F0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	293362

If you do not yet know who Paul is, he is one of the best Corvette Techs anywhere, is the person who makes presentations, presents seminars at such key Corvette events such as the NCM Bash, Corvettes At Carlyle and the NCM Labor Day/Anniversary Celebration. They would not invite him if he were not #1.

At the Bash, I had Paul diagnose a C6 issue that I could not get answer from anywhere else (and when I got home his suggestion had solved the issue perfectly). He holds “open” walk ins, wait your turn, and then you ask him about the problem you are have and he will suggest what you should do to get it resolved, or at least diagnosed.

One of our members (he can identify himself should he wish), drives many hours each way to have Paul work on his C8. With that intro, here’;s information for your consideration.

[Quote=CorvetteBlogger]The Corvette Mechanic Paul Koerner Discusses Engines and Oil Catch Cans

By Keith Cornett: Jul 26, 2021

A few months back we waded into the debate of whether or not your Corvette needs a catch can after sharing a video of a mechanic adding one to his mid-engine LT2 V8. As I didn’t really have an opinion of them at the time, I thought maybe to ask my friend Paul about them the next time I saw him.

Turns out that I don’t have to wait until Corvettes of Carlisle to ask the Corvette Mechanic Paul Koerner about catch cans as he offered up one of his longest videos on the subject.

Paul pulls out the diagrams of various Corvette and Camaro/CTS engines and even utilizes a C8 Corvette’s oil pump and a C7 Corvette Z06 to illustrate his points. The bottom line is that if you have a dry-sump lubrication system, you already have a catch can:

Here’s the link to CorvetteBlogger with the video that Paul has created showing us how the C8 already has a catch can.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2021...erm=2021-07-26

Source:
    TheCorvetteMechanic / Facebook
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

RIP to those that wasted money on a catch can

Comment

John .. this raises a question I have begun thinking about.

Is there a list of Corvette Master Mechanics around such that those of us not in Paul’s neighborhood might find a good alternate? I know I’ll be looking for one with in reasonable driving distance of Tucson down the road.

Comment

There unfortunately is not one. And we need to be cautious that if Master Mechanic Bill Smith worked at dealer X and that advertise that they have a MM, that person might not any longer work there.

The best way IMO is to post a new thread here asking, “Great Servicing Dealership Near Tucson” or something like that. Best of luck.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Thanks so much John, and Paul! Very informative and will save many (including myself) time and money not buying a catch can. Thank Paul from all of us! Great and very informative video. I'm all for preventative maintenance, but if we don't need it, why put it on?

Comment

Thank you Paul for a really good lots of info video. I learned a bunch. No catch can is going onto my C8.

Comment

Very informative. You just saved me money Paul. Thanks.

Comment

Not just saving money on the catch can itself, but also the warranty!
                Follow me @smurf.vette on Instagram -- https://www.instagram.com/smurf.vette

Comment

I think most people install catch cans because it’s an easier mod and is an excuse to work on a perfectly functioning car. This news is going to be a disappointment for some even if it saves them time and money.

Comment

there will still be someone on here that insists they know better, and that it's required, and will show you the oil it caught. oh well. Like P.T. Barnum is credited for saying... there's one born every minute.
                    3LT Coupe, Z51, Torch Red, sueded microfiber seats/wheel with red stitching, BBS CI-R gloss black wheels, engine app package, Carbon Fiber int, Red Calipers, Comp Seats, Mag Ride, Front Lift, Carbon Fiber dual roof, Carbon Flash mirrors and spoiler, R8C museum delivery, 5VM exposed carbon fiber splitter, side skirts and AGM carbon fiber high wing

Comment

Expertise at it’s best!

Comment

Just curious, if the system works so well why are people getting oil in their catch cans?

Comment

Originally posted by Marcho Polo View Post
                          there will still be someone on here that insists they know better, and that it's required, and will show you the oil it caught. oh well. Like P.T. Barnum is credited for saying... there's one born every minute.
                          I remember the C5’s had the most efficient air intake system I’d ever seen. Filter box right in front of the radiator pulling in cold air through the shortest tubing directly into the throttle body. Still the most popular mod was after market CAIs from flash in the pan, small time aftermarket companies, designed by nobody with an engineering degree, that added more problems than it solved. People added them because that’s just what they’ve always done and it’s easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmraco View Post
                            Just curious, if the system works so well why are people getting oil in their catch cans?
                            Good question.

In my C7, my Elite catch can gathers about 1 fluid oz per 1,000 miles. After almost 41,000 miles in my C7 that's over 1 quart of oil that I've kept out of my C7's intake.

With the UPR can in my C8, I gather around 3/4 fluid oz per 1,000 miles (averaged over 11,000 miles so far), so after 40,000 miles that will be about 1 quart of oil that I've kept out of the intake.

The nice thing about the UPR can is that it can be removed by hand and without any tools in 2-3 minutes, and the OE PCV hose replaced. I keep the OE hose in a plastic bag in the trunk should I ever want to do this.

Sure, GM's stance is that a catch can isn't needed - what else do you expect them to say.
                            My C8:
                            '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                            '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                            '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                            '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Dmraco View Post
                              perhaps it has something to do with the location of where the aftermarket catch can ties into the system? If it is installed before the dry dump components that do this job, then it's just intercepting what the OEM pieces would have handled. So it appears to be doing something, but if left alone, the OEM components would have done the same.
                              3LT Coupe, Z51, Torch Red, sueded microfiber seats/wheel with red stitching, BBS CI-R gloss black wheels, engine app package, Carbon Fiber int, Red Calipers, Comp Seats, Mag Ride, Front Lift, Carbon Fiber dual roof, Carbon Flash mirrors and spoiler, R8C museum delivery, 5VM exposed carbon fiber splitter, side skirts and AGM carbon fiber high wing

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X