Dealer: Don’t Drive It - Tow It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer: Don’t Drive It - Tow It!

Does anyone know what the problem might be???
    I pulled out of my garage yesterday and went about a block before starting to hear a horrible screeching noise coming from what seemed to be my front wheels when turning right, and to a lesser extent, turning left and going straight. Almost sounded like a fan blade slowly turning and rubbing against something during its rotation. I had to be somewhere, so drove it a little farther and parked. When I got back to her, I was secretly hoping that I was just imagining it. Unfortunately, no… Still happening. Thought about driving to my closest dealer about 5 miles away, but instead got back to my garage and called the service technician that I know. He wasn’t sure what it was but said DO NO DRIVE IT any further: let’s get it towed in here. Called ONSTAR and arrange for towing this coming Tuesday morning (Dealer was having some space availability issues until then).
    Order placed w/Dec. 2020 Allocations: 2021 Coupe, CMGM, 3LT, Twilight/Tension Blue, Z51, carbon flash wheels/mirrors/spoiler, bright red calipers, front lift, mag ride, transparent roof, splash guards, black rockers, battery protection package, engine appearance package, red engine cover.

Yikes! Sorry to hear this. It sure does seem like GM is having an inordinate amount of quality issues. I know there are forum members that say it is a small amount and they are the ones posting but honestly in all of the years I owned cars had friends and family own cars Eric. Not once do I recall a person having these issues with transmissions especially. It truly is disconcerting to hear.
    “News of my death in a 2024 Z06 has been greatly exaggerated”

Comment

Could be a small rock stuck in the caliper/backing plate and rubbing on the rotor. I've heard them make some pretty bad noises before and it's possible for the sound to change when turning, due to load shifting of the suspension.
      Hopefully that's all it is, as that is a quick/easy fix!

Comment

A screeching sound is very often a small pebble caught behind the rotar — in the space between the back of the rotor and the thin metal plate behind it. Have a person stand next to a wheel as you drive about four miles an hour (fast walking speed), then have them repeat for the other three corners.

The reason I say this is that another member posted this issue (was terrified) and it turned out to be a pebble exactly as I described. How do I know this? Because I had the identical issue. I just removed the wheel after hacking up that corner, took a plastic trim tool and applied a little “widening pressure between the two metal items and the pebble came right out.

You may be another person who had this same screeching sound cause. And of course this has zero to do with quality issues. I have had pebbles caught like this on almost every vehicle I have ever owned. BTW another way that some works to dislodge the pebble is to go forwards and backwards about four or five times. In fact that is the first thing I would do once.

PLEASE report back to us.

Hope it is just as I am thinking, not a major issue.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Hopefully just a pebble stuck in between the rotor and caliper. Drive it in reverse at a decent speed and hit the brakes a few times should resolve it.
          Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Thanks everyone. I will try the prescribed procedures and report back. Hopefully a small pebble (or small something…) will pop out and that will be the end of it…
            Order placed w/Dec. 2020 Allocations: 2021 Coupe, CMGM, 3LT, Twilight/Tension Blue, Z51, carbon flash wheels/mirrors/spoiler, bright red calipers, front lift, mag ride, transparent roof, splash guards, black rockers, battery protection package, engine appearance package, red engine cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdcinsb View Post
              Thanks everyone. I will try the prescribed procedures and report back. Hopefully a small pebble (or small something…) will pop out and that will be the end of it…
              Well have you got out of bed yet. Just kidding. I know it’s Ca time.
              2020 Blade Silver 2LT Z51 front lift ,mag ride ,black trident wheels and carbon fiber dash

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	AD73316E-677E-4166-A893-E6AECE48D954.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	292545
                Originally posted by Mark Twain View Post
                Yikes! Sorry to hear this. It sure does seem like GM is having an inordinate amount of quality issues. I know there are forum members that say it is a small amount and they are the ones posting but honestly in all of the years I owned cars had friends and family own cars Eric. Not once do I recall a person having these issues with transmissions especially. It truly is disconcerting to hear.
                Are you serious with this statement.” Inordinate amount of quality issues “ This is a small sample of owners and most don’t have any problems. Go on and post your vin and see the issues or recalls. Those are the facts.
                Last edited by MikeC8; 07-24-2021, 10:58 AM.
                2020 Blade Silver 2LT Z51 front lift ,mag ride ,black trident wheels and carbon fiber dash

Comment

okay I should have said MAJOR quality issues that require major expensive components like a transmission and from what we read up to 6 weeks in the shop plus multiple tows. I see a lot of people on here concerned about having a transmission issue. I’m not going to argue with you over numbers or seriousness. They need to determine and fix the problem. My father, uncles and cousins all went to General Motors Institute in Flint. My cousin who worked on the Corvette team in the 60’s told me not to buy a C8 until at least the 3rd year.

Originally posted by MikeC8 View Post
                  Click image for larger version Name:	AD73316E-677E-4166-A893-E6AECE48D954.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	292545
                  Are you serious with this statement.” Inordinate amount of quality issues “ This is a small sample of owners and most don’t have any problems. Go on and post your vin and see the issues or recalls. Those are the facts.
                  “News of my death in a 2024 Z06 has been greatly exaggerated”

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC8 View Post

Well have you got out of bed yet. Just kidding. I know it’s Ca time.
                    Ha! yes… Out of bed for a while. But put my other car (SUV) in front of the garage last night and covered it. Have to do some errands In a little while, then I will move that car and be able to take the C8 out of the garage

Comment

okay I should have said MAJOR quality issues that require major expensive components like a transmission and from what we read up to 6 weeks in the shop plus multiple tows. I see a lot of people on here concerned about having a transmission issue. I’m not going to argue with you over numbers or seriousness. They need to determine and fix the problem. My father, uncles and cousins all went to General Motors Institute in Flint. My cousin who worked on the Corvette team in the 60’s told me not to buy a C8 until at least the 3rd year.

Your cousin who worked for GM in the 60’s is telling you not to buy a car built in 2021. How does that qualify him as an expert in quality control today ? If you get on a list today you just might get a 3rd year production C8. Get off the fence sir.

Comment

You may read Corvette magazine. There is a section every month dealing with mechanical and electrical issues that can be found in ALL model years of Corvettes. They also publish a separate issue called, "Tech nerd". If you took to heart everything covered in that issue, you might not ever buy a Corvette. Cars are machines, and we know what machines do. Lemons occur in every MY and every model. If I was old enough then, and had the money, I would have happily purchased a '63 coupe. 1st years aren't all that bad.

Comment

Reporting back…

I took her out of the garage to the unbelievable screeching sound that I would not wish on any other. Followed the advice going forward and back and breaking hard and soft numerous times. I would say probably 20 or so, but to no avail. Came back to the front of my house, Still making that sound. I back up into my driveway to go into the garage, needed to straighten out once or twice and decide to tap the brakes very quickly a couple of times. I backed into the garage… And… No horrible noise!!. I pull forward: nothing! I pull out of my driveway turning right: nothing! I turned left: nothing! Just the beautiful sound of my V-8 purring in the background. I drove around the block and the noise was nonexistent. Pulled back in my garage and then looked on my driveway in the area where I was tapping the brakes and found the small pebble-if you will–on the ground where my front left tire had been tracking. (See pic)… It actually broke in two when I picked it up. I called and spoke with my technician who is working today and asked if there could be any other damage? He said only that there may be a circular impression on the rotor that would normally go away in 2 to 300 miles I’m driving (He used to work on porches and this was a common occurrence).

So, thanks again everyone! I hope that this pebble is all there was to the problem and that my experience will be one more that can help others should this happen to them… as John so well documented in his earlier Post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	96991E98-43E5-49A2-A615-41CCBA16D50F.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	7.42 MB
ID:	292615

Comment

I still think you're greatly exaggerating the issues. Yes, there have been DCT failures. Probably in less than 1% of the cars built to date. Define "a lot of people." Half a dozen, maybe? The vast majority of us have had no serious problems, and most no problems at all. I guess a pebble stuck in the brakes is GM's fault?

And your first post? Never heard of a car having all these problems? You've not been paying attention. Do some research on the first few years of Porsche DCTs. Try googling "Porsche IMS bearing." Try "Porsche frame breaking." Heck, google almost any car model followed by the word "problems" and you'll never buy another car again.

Last edited by meyerweb; 07-24-2021, 06:24 PM.
                            Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X