MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

How important are the right tires? (Corvette Blogger)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important are the right tires? (Corvette Blogger)

[VIDEO] Randy Pobst Track Tests the C8 Corvette with Inferior Tires

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2020...nferior-tires/

Everyone’s favorite magazine hot-shoe, Randy Pobst, is back at Willow Springs Raceway with a camera crew, a C8 Corvette, and a tire experiment on his mind.

In a video sure to make all 8th grade science students green with envy, Randy “The Rocket” begins his science fair project with the scientific question, “How do cheap tires affect the performance of a Corvette?” To begin, the always cheery Pobst does a walkaround on the Blade Silver Z51 Corvette that Motor Trend brought along for the experiment which is highlighted by his calling the LT2 a Christmas ham.

Click image for larger version

Name:	101520_14b.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	199603

Next, Pobst heads out for a controlled lap on the Z51s specially designed Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. As equipped from the factory, with the track alignment engaged, the C8 performs marvelously. Randy visibly enjoys the C8 experience all the way to a drama-free 1:28.48 lap time. For those who are interested in such things, that E.T. lands the C8 directly between another pair of Chevrolet performance cars on Randy’s all-time Big Willow leader board; the C6 Grand Sport with the Callaway SC627 package (1:28.61), and the 2014 Camaro Z/28 (1:28.4). It is also within striking distance of some much more exotic hardware (with the extreme rubber to match) as the Mercedes-AMG GT S, 991-Generation 911s Turbo S and GT3, and the McLaren 570S all turned in times in the 1:27s with Randy behind the wheel.

After a call to Matt Edmonds, the CEO of show sponsor, Tire Rack, a “recommended mobile installation expert” jacks the Corvette up and throws on a set of off-brand, “tier three or four” tires which they are sure to inform the audience would never be sold at Tire Rack.

With the low-rent shoes installed, Randy skittishly sets off again down the fastest road in the west. His demeanor is noticeably different this time around and he says that cornering on the budget rubber is like rally driving on the dirt but the ‘Vette still shoots out of the corners beautifully. When the dust settles and randy steers his mount into the pits, thankful to be alive, the clock reveals a loss of more than five seconds. The final tally is 1:33.57, or Lexus GS-F territory.

This astounding result is sure to win Randy and his team a blue ribbon at the Junior High Science Fair! A difference of five seconds per lap is huge in any race, but on just one lap of a 90ish-second track, it is an eternity. Put it this way; if they competed in a 24-hour endurance race (in a perfect world, without pit stops or driver changes) the Michelin-equipped Stingray would be more than 53 laps ahead of its frugal-footed twin by the time the checkered flag came out.

The moral of the story, kids, is that, although expensive, good tires are always worth the price of admission. Without them, you turn your supercar into just a car, and what is the point of that? The silver-lining, from an earlier test where MT swapped the previously mentioned Camaro Z/28’s tires/wheels with the ones on its little SS 1LE brother, is that performance might not fall off too bad as long as you don’t get too economical when replacing tires. The more you know!
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Thank you. That makes sense that The Corvette team during the years of development of the C8, work with Michelin progressively to develop several, progressively-better versions of the PS4’s for the mid.engine Stingray the Corvette to maximize its performance, fuel economy, etc. and the results bear out that better tires produce better lap times.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Tires are half of the car.

Comment

"How important are the right tires?"

I'm sorry, I just have to say it..."I believe the right tires are just as important as the left." LOL

Comment

As the old adage states, “You get what you pay for”. Nice video!

Comment

Without identification of the Brand X tire or its origins, this doesn't mean much to me. I am sure you can always find something worse than original equipment, But by failing to identify, or even giving good clues, the effect is to disparage every tire on the market other than the OE Michelin (or non-Michelin tires sold by Tire Rack).

Were these Brand X tires a brand and model we would recognize, or were they some Chinese brand made by their subsidiary in Albania? There are a lot of acceptable brands of tires not sold by Tire Rack. And how cheap was cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post
              "How important are the right tires?"

I'm sorry, I just have to say it..."I believe the right tires are just as important as the left." LOL
              Unless you only turn right.....
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                Without identification of the Brand X tire or its origins, this doesn't mean much to me. I am sure you can always find something worse than original equipment, But by failing to identify, or even giving good clues, the effect is to disparage every tire on the market other than the OE Michelin (or non-Michelin tires sold by Tire Rack).

Were these Brand X tires a brand and model we would recognize, or were they some Chinese brand made by their subsidiary in Albania? There are a lot of acceptable brands of tires not sold by Tire Rack. And how cheap was cheap?
                Correct---that story is actually pretty worthless.. No facts just written and thrown out there. The fact of the matter depending what you are going to do with the car there may be Much better options for running Only on the track. In the future, when the more focused track versions of the C8 are released they will be shod in different rubber than the base cars are. For my driving in real world conditions I like having some rain capability personally. Had both types and being my car gets out less and less and when it does it has to be not to hot, not too cold and certainly no chance of rain. Still like the capability However, given the aforementioned will be putting the factory sticky hate the rain Pilots on. On dry pavement they are just well, perfect and tire wear is not a factor.

Comment

I love the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S... It's what I currently run on my Turbo S and one of the reasons I think the Z51 package is such a great deal ($1,500 worth of tires plus all the other goodies...) But throwing on a set of un-named, likely selected to be some of the crappiest tires they could find in the correct sizes, and telling everyone they suck compared to the PS4S is a bit pointless.

Now I'd LOVE to see Randy hot-lapping a track aligned Z51 C8 comparing the stock PS4S's with Cup 2's, Hoosier R7s, the non Z51 Michelin Pilot all-seasons, and perhaps some budget-but-not-complete-**** Potenzas... That would be cool...

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X