MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast With Keith Cornett/“CorvetteBlogger”

Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com combine once again to bring you the latest news and headlines in the world of Corvette!  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...er-2020-el5mlj Some of the topics you'll hear about are:
1.  GM delivers 6,355 C8 Corvettes in the 3rd Quarter
2.  Callaway offers a 25th Anniversary Special Edition for C7 Z06
3.  2020 C8 Corvette named Car Of The Year by Popular Mechanics
4.  Chevrolet announces that C8 production extended thru the end of the year. 2021 production starts in December.
5.  EV Hybrid may replace the Grand Sport in the C8 lineup
6.  2022 C8 Z06 spied at Grattan Raceway with rear wing and newly exposed wheels
7.  Corvette Racing using 3D printed parts
8.  What the reveal of the C8 lineup tells us about the future of Corvette
9.  Guess what Batman’s daily driver is!
Be sure to check out this edition of CORVETTE TODAY!
See more
See less

C8 on the dyno to test the first aftermarket air filter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8 on the dyno to test the first aftermarket air filter!

Getting a baseline on the dyno for the C8 Corvette so we can start testing the first aftermarket air filter. Unfortunately not a lot of info shared about the new filter but stay tuned, it will all be revealed soon. This filter is making a nice amount of power in the early stages and it's only going to go up!

Check out my YouTube channel for all kinds of Corvette content:
    www.youtube.com/c/horsepowerobsessed

When you re-test, please that same day with a cooled down motor but temperature and humidity being almost identical, please re-test both the OEM and the aftermarket filters.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      When you re-test, please that same day with a cooled down motor but temperature and humidity being almost identical, please re-test both the OEM and the aftermarket filters.
      Right. Testing on different days, different conditions, possibly even different dyno settings doesn't tell you much. And aftermarket product manufacturers seem to always try to boost their results, doing things like testing the OEM product in the afternoon on a high temp, high humidity day, and their product in the early morning on a nice cool day.
      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
      >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Do we know what the base RWHP was?
        Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
        2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
        Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
        3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

The OEM air filter is what should be used. They are designed to filter out dirt. Not to allow more airflow and more dirt particles in your engine. EDIT-
          Video Thanks to Jason from Engineering Explained

For those K&N Fans -- Destroying your engines - Watch the Video below. You will be shocked at how many particles.
          Here is another Excellent (Video) thanks to By Project Farm
          Last edited by Frenzy36; 09-08-2020, 09:49 PM.
          Rocket City Florida

Comment

This video does have the scent of clickbait. However, in fairness to HPO, of which I’m a subscriber too, I will allow time for “R & D” however, if this info never materializes, then big thumbs down and I will UNSUBSCRIBE then from HPO. Benefit of the doubt for now but also a 🤥
            "07/01/20 Placed deposit on 2021 C8 Coupe: 08/01/20 Preliminary order placed in GM Workbench: 2LT: G9F: FE2: NPP: VST: VDK: R8C"

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post
              It was 437 with the AWE exhaust. Which really seems low as AWE claims a 19 rear wheel HP increase on their site. As many of us has seen other C8 stock dyno numbers, they can range from approximately mid 420s to mid 440s at the rear wheel. So 437 just looked low to me with a claimed 19HP rear wheel gain from AWS.

Maybe it was the dyno being used...

Comment

Originally posted by pksjc View Post

It was 437 with the AWE exhaust. Which really seems low as AWE claims a 19 rear wheel HP increase on their site. As many of us has seen other C8 stock dyno numbers, they can range from approximately mid 420s to mid 440s at the rear wheel. So 437 just looked low to me with a claimed 19HP rear wheel gain from AWS.

The only thing a wheel dyno is really useful for is comparing before / after results when making changes. And then only if tested under very similar conditions. (Yeah, dynos apply correction factors for temperature, altitude, etc., but that's still an estimate.) So comparing one car on one dyno to another car on another dyno on a different day..... doesn't mean much.

But if they test the same car with the stock intake, and then with the "cold air" intake, on the same dyno, with very close environmental conditions, we can learn something. Of course, if it gives, say, a 15HP boost when combined with the AWE exhaust, that tells you nothing about what it will do with the stock exhaust.
                SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post
                  Base WHP is what was showed in the video. I wasn't able to show the power the filter created on top of the base run (stock + AWE exhaust) due to the R&D of the filter not being done yet. The numbers will absolutely be posted once I'm given the go ahead but for now we have the base numbers to compare them to once the final filter is ready to go. I will be using the same dyno with a similar (as close to as possible) weather day. I already have the numbers from the aftermarket filter on the same day the stock filter was run and it is a significant improvement but they want more so there will be more R&D to make the number even higher.

This was mostly for a baseline so I know what the filters add/subtract in the future on THIS specific dyno. The dyno does read a touch low, the car is probably making a hair over 450 but it wasn't so much for a glory run (high number) more so to compare the stock filter to this new one to see what was added.

I hope that helps clear up a few things.

Comment

Originally posted by pksjc View Post

Definitely the dyno. It reads low on all cars but just as was said afterwards, the dyno is just a tool to measure the difference in power between mods. I wasn't worried about a glory run, I just wanted to see what the difference in power was.

Comment

no numbers??? I want my click back...

Comment

Cant wait for the new filter.. OEM paper filters are so restrictive.. Ive replaced them on all my cars for the past 20-30 years.. and then never had to buy another... I WANT AIR FLOW !!! not microscopic filtration. And I like the reusability...very lightly oiled.

Comment

It is good we have differing opinions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3648A6FB-D2C9-4355-8D32-22A7F9ACA366.jpeg
Views:	485
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	188288

This would be a boring place is we all just posted the. identical words, “I agree.” I especially like that we express them to each other civilly here (99% of the time lol).
                          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Different dynos, indeed the same dyno on the same day, will give different results and not just by a small amount. It used to be that OEM’s left tons of HP on the table, ready for easy aftermarket pickings, but the low hanging fruit is at least high up in the tree right now.

For example the C7 had for the first time, engine intake air coming from outside the motor compartment (between the inner and outer passenger fender liner).

Personally I find massive HP increases due to just a filter change not sometime possible while retaining adequate particle filtration. 5 HP yes, but not thinking 4 times that is possible either at all or without consequence.. JMO.

Comment

Hello to all - new member here, although I've been following this site for over 2 years. It's great BTW!

This topic along with other related posts prompted me to join because of the paper vs oiled air filter discussion. Like many site members and viewers, I used oiled air filters in all my past Vettes and other cars. That is, until I found the objective evidence provided in this link, https://tinyurl.com/yxvk5ufb I would recommend that you read this and form your own opinion about what type of air filter is best for your conditions. If anyone has more current and/or meaningful data, I would love to hear about it.

My current C7 has an OEM paper filter and when I can get a C8, it too will be OEM.

Happy driving 🏎

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X