Emelia's Headless C8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emelia's Headless C8

You might have seen/read that Emelia Hartford blew up her twin-turbo C8 .... what they thought was "piston" damage may be something else entirely ...

This is one I'll be keeping an eye on....

Kelly
    Last edited by kdlp; 08-01-2020, 12:50 PM.
    2021 HTC - Z51 - 3LT - FE4 (MagRide) - E60 (Front Lift) - EFY (Body Colored Accents) - Expected Delivery March '21

Bent rods so far
    3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

That was a fun watch. I will definitely be watching the next video of hers as they get to the bent rods and maybe something else or different.

If you missed her last video and can to catch up on the precursor thread: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-her-c8-engine
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

So far the only damages, I’ve seen from this one and others is the exact result of modifications. Mine will be fine. The only exception is the one where GM had to replace an engine.
        Blade Silver, Z51 black/red two tone seats, 3LT, Black trident wheels, hopefully a black high wing spoiler, red engine cover, front lift, Lighted sill plates, currently at 3300 TPW August 17th as of July 31st.

Comment

After Emelia breaks things you will be likely to tune in later to see what happens. That's how You Tube revenue streams work.

Comment

Kudos to Emelia Hartford. Impressive mechanical skills and entertaining to watch. She also has quite an interesting resume.

It is nice to see young, automotive enthusiasts such as Emelia and Austin Everett, aka Speed Phenom, put up informative YouTube videos.
            Enthusiastic owner of 'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
            Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum
            Web site: https://www.daumphotography.com/
            blog: https://insight.daumphotography.com/

Comment

I have to agree, kudos to her and her adventures. She not only knows what she is doing on youtube but more importantly she knows what she is doing on cars or/and knows the right people to contact for help and set up. It's no wonder why GM is totally behind her. And, if she is reading this, (hopefully she is) my apologies and I take what I said back about your burnout. You don't deserve to be sent to a corner without supper, you deserve to be given many more toys to enjoy, and yes destroy sometimes, but rebuild and discover in the process. Way to go girl!!! Take it from an old school car guy, I like what I see, she's got skills and more, determination and drive.

Comment

I'll be impressed with her mechanical skills if and when they figure out how to get that ginermous engine / transaxle assembly BACK INTO the car. Taking it all out is the easy part.

WRT engineering - these guys are trying to do brain surgery with a screwdriver and a wood chisel. The only way to bend every rod in the engine is to have massive pre-ignition. That could have been resolved by using a head spacer / block spacer to reduce the compression ratio to ~ 8:1 (easy), and modifying the ECU programming or replacing the ECU with one set-up for turbochargering (hard).

If it were my car I'd take to Mr. Goodwrench and get down on my knees to beg for forgiveness. These guys are in way over their heads.

Comment

Originally posted by dcbingaman View Post
                  If it were my car I'd take to Mr. Goodwrench and get down on my knees to beg for forgiveness. These guys are in way over their heads.
                  Probably. But she'll probably make enough money in a month on these videos to pay for a new engine and transaxle if she needs to.
                  SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                  >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

And she'll write off the engine repair as a tax write-off too.

Comment

Originally posted by dcbingaman View Post
                      I'll be impressed with her mechanical skills if and when they figure out how to get that ginermous engine / transaxle assembly BACK INTO the car. Taking it all out is the easy part.
                      I was impressed that she actually got grease on her white shorts.
                      Getting it back in shouldn't be too hard if they don't move the car or the cradle that the engine/ transaxle is in while they work on it.

Save the wave.

Comment

Originally posted by 73shark View Post
                        I was impressed that she actually got grease on her white shorts.
                        Getting it back in shouldn't be too hard if they don't move the car or the cradle that the engine/ transaxle is in while they work on it.
                        Exactly !! If they moved it - even an inch - it won't line up. Tell me how you do more than take the heads off WITHOUT moving it.

Getting that aseembly back in the car without tooling is tricky with a capital T. Many points for match-up and interference fit - and that assembly easily weighs as much as Grand Piano !! This ain't like dropping a small block into a C7 with a simple engine hoist !!!

Comment

Well I have to give them credit - they got the Tremec DCT back in the car, but they are sending the engine off to Texas Performance to figure out what broke. At the end they claimed they heard noise from the flywheel (harmonic damper ??). I don't think they really know what broke. The crank and the main bearings looked good.

Stay tuned for the next "Perils of Emelia" - she knows how to harvest those clicks !

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X