Check Your Lug Nut Torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Your Lug Nut Torque

We just saw a reminder of the old and true statement that especially new aluminum wheels and their lug nuts must be torque re-tensioned at 100 miles. As noted, this is mentioned in the Owners Manual. Thanks to this reminder, with thanks, from ”srosenbldr.”

Hi All- I just got some wheel locks and had the occasion to loosen a lug nut. It was pretty loose. Maybe 90-100 ft lbs. None of the others were up to Spec. The Manual advises rechecking them after the first 100 miles or so, do itTorque Spec is 140 ft. lbs.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Thank You for the reminder. Something I would imagine few would know to do.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance why wait until 100 miles why not get it done when obtaining it from the dealer new
      Arctic White 2LT, G8G, HUL, F9, AH2, 5ZZ, E60, STI, SHW J6F, Q8Q, RCC, Z51, ZYC.

Comment

Originally posted by Pb7148 View Post
        Excuse my ignorance why wait until 100 miles why not get it done when obtaining it from the dealer new
        When wheels are initially torqued to spec on any type of wheel, they occasionally can loosen up a bit after being driven (from things just naturally setting in) even after as little as 20 miles of driving. It's just prudent to check them after they have been installed, even if installed from the factory or a normal tire rotation etc. Buying the car at the dealer it may not have enough miles yet for everything to settle.
        Last edited by ReddyZ06; 07-03-2020, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ReddyZ06 View Post

When wheels are initially torqued to spec on any type of wheel, they occasionally can loosen up a bit after being driven (from things just naturally setting in) even after as little as 20 miles of driving. It's just prudent to check them after they have been installed, even if installed from the factory or a normal tire rotation etc. Buying the car at the dealer it may not have enough miles yet for everything to settle.
          Got it. Thanks for the clarity 👍👍
          Arctic White 2LT, G8G, HUL, F9, AH2, 5ZZ, E60, STI, SHW J6F, Q8Q, RCC, Z51, ZYC.

Comment

Big trucks with aluminum wheels have the same re-torque requirement. A LOT higher value though, of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WHEEL TORQUE.PNG
Views:	407
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	161448
            Attached Files
            Bob Sliwa
            "I was cruising in my Stingray, late one night, when a Tesla Model 3, pulled up on the right......."
            Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Restomod.
            2020 C8 - ELB Event Status 6000. Home!

Comment

I found out about aluminum wheels the hard way on a UTV of mine a few years back. I had put an aftermarket set of wheels on and was out riding in the backwoods when one of my rear wheels came almost completely off. It bent 2 of the 4 studs and I had to replace them. I found out later from folks in the know, that aluminum wheels are bad about that. Definitely re check the torque on a C8 !
              Torch Red; 2LT; Z51; Two Tone Adrenaline Red GT2 seats TU7/AH2; Mag Ride FE4; Front Lift E60; Engine Appearance ZZ3; Pewter Rims 5DG; Silver Center Caps RXH; Battery Protection ERI; Yellow Calipers J6E; Yellow Seat Belts 3M9

Comment

Another thing I'll have to explain to the TSA. I always carry a torque wrench when traveling. Oh and don't mind those grills either. Or that liquid filled tire guage. Oh yea that air inflator too. Or the plug kit that looks like some serious weapons. I'm for sure going to miss the plane. LOL
                Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  We just saw a reminder of the old and true statement that especially new aluminum wheels and their lug nuts must be torque re-tensioned at 100 miles. As noted, this is mentioned in the Owners Manual. Thanks to this reminder, with thanks, from ”srosenbldr.”
                  Thanks for the reminder - I just checked mine (still less than 200 miles).

I only had three that were slightly below 140 ft-lb.
                  My C8:
                  '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                  '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                  '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                  '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                    Another thing I'll have to explain to the TSA. I always carry a torque wrench when traveling. Oh and don't mind those grills either. Or that liquid filled tire guage. Oh yea that air inflator too. Or the plug kit that looks like some serious weapons. I'm for sure going to miss the plane. LOL
                    Avoid the stress and TSA potentially confiscating some or all of your tools/parts, and instead FedEx them to your receiving end.
                    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd777 View Post
                      Big trucks with aluminum wheels have the same re-torque requirement. A LOT higher value though, of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WHEEL TORQUE.PNG
Views:	407
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	161448
                      Porsche center lock wheel nuts need to be torqued to 440 ft lbs! Not many people have a torque wrench that'll measure that.
                      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                      >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

And there is also this thread on the issue:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...our-wheel-nuts
                        TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                        Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Just did mine with 200 miles on it. Only 2 lug nuts were in spec. The rest were between 90 and 110 ft lbs. Isn't this part of the dealer PDI? I realize even if that was done, they should be checked again.
                          Just hooked up the battery tender. You can close the "frunk" completely on the cord as you could on the C7.

Comment

I just bought one of the ACDelco digital torque adapters. I just put it on a 1/2" breaker bar to tighten the wheels of my C8. Many lug nuts were close to only 100 foot pounds, not the 140 they should be.

It seems very well built, designed by a California company and built in Taiwan. And as a C8 owner, I obviously trust he ACDelco brand name.

$59.84 delivered, from the big A.

Click image for larger version  Name:	71R%2BErJchvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.2 KB ID:	171065
                            Bob Sliwa
                            "I was cruising in my Stingray, late one night, when a Tesla Model 3, pulled up on the right......."
                            Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Restomod.
                            2020 C8 - ELB Event Status 6000. Home!

Comment

The Porsche center nut wrench is $2000.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X