MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Don't forget to re-torque your wheel nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a few things in life that never let you down -- Ole timers, physics, keeping it simple and beer!
    Thanks Teamzr1!
    TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
    Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Should follow this procedure anytime the wheels are off, as when getting new tires.
      Thank You, did not know this. Is this due to installer error ?? I have never checked a wheels lugs and always depended on the installers, Haven't lost a wheel in 50 years of driving.

Comment

Originally posted by ZORA 69 View Post

Thank You, did not know this. Is this due to installer error ?? I have never checked a wheels lugs and always depended on the installers, Haven't lost a wheel in 50 years of driving.
        It is definitely best practice to re-torque after driving for a bit. It has nothing to do with the skill of the installer. Most, if not all, tire shops ask you to come back after driving and they re-torque for free. Allows the hardware to settle and bed in after use. Highly unlikely a wheel falls off even if you don't but it could happen. I've only know one person to lose a wheel but it does happen.
        2020 C8 | Torch Red | Z51 | 3LT | Carbon | Comp Seats
        2016 Porsche GT4 | Black everything ... sold
        2016 BMW M2 | Blue | MT ... sold
        2014 C7 | Torch Red | Z51 | 2LT ... sold

Comment

What ghtal said. Lugs stretch, wheels shift a little. I've never had a lug come off, but even after I change my own wheels and tighten with a torque wrench, I've found them slightly looser after a few hundred miles.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Good points guys.
            Like gthal said, it does happen.

It could also be from the installation, we are all human and make mistakes.
            The re-torquing after a short distance is partly a CYA policy and keeps everyone safe.

When installing a wheel, are you sure that a piece of rust flake or debris did not fall between the rotor and the hub?
            Even if only the wheel was removed, and not the rotor, the rotor shifts and something can fall down between the rotor and hub, that piece compresses and falls out later on and now you have less torque on the nuts.
            One major thing that has changed from the C7 to the C8 is that the wheel nut torque is much higher at 140 ft lbs and some techs may not know that or forget about it and torque the wheel nuts to the spec that Stingrays have always been torqued to, generally.

So, what it boils down to is everyone makes mistakes sometimes, it is a luxury to be able to trust someone implicitly but things happen and you are ultimately responsible to ensure your vehicle is roadworthy and safe to operate.

What am I going to do about my wheel nuts being loose?
            First of all, I torqued them to proper specs.
            I will take it back to the dealer and get them to re-torque the nuts and the reason I will give is that the wheels were taken off at PDI for installation of options and I've put some miles on since then.
            I don't know if they have thought of a re-torquing policy, so it's a gentle way of "empowering" them to put it into policy.
            I know and trust my tech, so the very most I will say to him alone, is that I already re-torqued them to 140 ft lbs and mention that there were a few that were loose.

And, between the tech, the shop foreman, the service manager and the service writer, they might decide to put re-torquing into policy.

The result -- the tech will know I have got his back, he will be a little (or a lot) embarrassed, he will take extra caution on every customers' vehicles, especially mine, nobody got hurt and nobody got fired (because that could have major snowball effects in many peoples' lives) and everyone is better off for it.

I don't have the lug/wheel guides that screw onto the studs, but someone who does, please check to see if they bottom out against the rotor.
            That would hold the rotor against the hub, if they were installed before the last 2 wheel nuts are removed, and no debris would fall down between the rotor and hub.
            Can someone please check on that?
            Last edited by Neil H; 05-09-2020, 11:03 AM. Reason: Added the wheel/lug guides comment.
            TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
            Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Just as an aside, when I got my C7, brand new, I checked the torque on the lug nuts after about a week, and every wheel had some lugs that were under torqued. I'm not sure I trust GM's fancy automatic tool as much as some others do.
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Never would think that necessary, Thank You
                Not really unless you are tracking but never hurts .

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                Working...
                X