Transmission Removed! Dodson Clutches Incoming @ Cicio Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Removed! Dodson Clutches Incoming @ Cicio Performance

Hey guys I just wanted to write up a little thread giving some exciting news. We have had the privilege of being at the leading edge of the DCT game for over a decade. Many know that the GT-R has pushed DCT limitations beyond what anyone dreamed. In 2014 we teamed up with Dodson Motorsport on one of our GT-R race cars and started testing their parts. Over the years we have formed a great relationship with them. Between GT-R and the PDK in the 911 we have learned a lot about the DCT world.

When I decided to get into the Corvette market with the C8 last year one of my first phone calls was my buddy Dan, who is the global sales manager at Dodson. Him, myself and Glenn the founder of Dodson sat down to dinner late last year to discuss the market, it’s future and how Dodson would handle distribution in the U.S. Glenn and the team are very excited about the platform and are dedicated to pushing it to the very limits. In the future I’m certain we will be testing components like clutches, gears, and all the other bits they have learned to make over many platforms of DCT transmissions.

When I decided to get into the Corvette market with the C8 last year one of my first phone calls was my buddy Dan, who is the US Dodson lead. He, myself and Glenn Dodson sat down at dinner late last year to discuss the market, its future and how Dodson would handle distribution in the U.S. Glenn and the team are very excited about the platform and are dedicated to pushing it to the very limits. In the future I’m certain we will be testing components like clutches, gears, and all the other bits they have learned to make over many platforms of DCT transmissions.

Ok, so fast forward to our development car being delivered a few weeks ago, the clutch and trans were one of my main priorities. I assumed the clutch would be the first limiting factor although I underestimated by just how much. After some initial testing we discovered that in its stock form the factory C8 clutch is good to hold about 20% more torque before it starts slipping. This means that anyone even wanting to do a nice NA build such as intake, cam and exhaust is going to be bordering the limit of needing an upgraded clutch, much less the people wanting to turbo the car or put nitrous on it. Even with a tuning solution these cars will be unusable on the factory clutch.

Many players in the aftermarket world are working on turbos, superchargers, nitrous and of course tuning to move forward with what we all believe these cars are going to be amazing for. We are working diligently with our manufacturing partner ETS on our turbo system as well as other hard parts, but before anyone makes power we all need to transmit that power to the tires through this transmission.

That all said I’m pretty excited to say we have partnered with the world's leading dual clutch manufacturer as their development partner in the United States. As you can see from the pictures below we have already dissected the clutch and looked into some other driveline related needs. The entire clutch and trans assembly is right now on its way to New Zealand for Dodson to work their magic on. We will have prototype clutches to try out ASAP and of course will then be offering them to both our wholesale and direct clients.

I have to say a huge thank you to one of our sponsor partners, Atlanta Custom Wraps! Justin Norton, the owner, is a good friend and we have been scheming on his C8 build. He was gracious enough to team up with us, allowing us to use his car for the donor so our development car could be used for other products and development…. like tuning solutions!

This partnership with Dodson is going to lead to the support we all need on the transmission side of the industry. I am so excited for the future of developing alongside them and sharing our findings with the community!

Stay safe and healthy everyone! Let’s get through these world events together and build some awesome Corvettes!

Last edited by Cicio Performance; 04-18-2020, 12:32 PM.

Those are robust clutches for sure. Thank you Cicio for continuing to develop C8 products.

Comment

My god.....looks like you guys are having fun! Good stuff!
      Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

While I'm hoping if I do a cam package (50 - 80 RWHP), I won't need your DCT upgrades, I'm excited to follow your development efforts. Good to know quality aftermarket parts will be there if I start breaking stuff.
        Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

C8 HTC with Z51 FE4. Bumped to a 2021.

Comment

This is exciting ! Will be keeping up on your progression as your team improves the performance and enhances components.
          Rocket City Florida

Comment

should use the correct stand for the transaxle. GM notes to not set the transaxle on the pan as damage could result, ..just sayin. Great work on the start of a clutch upgrade. Hope you share more info as it is developed.
            3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

Your new clutch will work beautifully for extended track work and for those who up the power of their C8’s. It is great to see your creating several C8 parts upgrades that are going to fix the bill perfectly for those who are going down those two paths.

I am looking forward to later seeing what Cicio Performance is currently envisioning.
              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragtop 99 View Post

While I'm hoping if I do a cam package (50 - 80 RWHP), I won't need your DCT upgrades, I'm excited to follow your development efforts. Good to know quality aftermarket parts will be there if I start breaking stuff.
                We started to see slip just shy of 100ft of torque over stock. Would think a cam, intake, exhaust and tune the clutch will be an optional item. Not 100% necessary but you will see performance advantages from it.

That of course is speculation as none of us know exactly what power these will be making with those mods. Nor do we know if we will be able to up the clutch line pressure like we do in other DCT models to make the factory clutch go just a little further.

Time will tell, and we will certainly do our best to be at the leading edge of letting you know what has what advantages as well as conciseness. ie... I'll try and break it first for you LMAO!

Comment

Originally posted by Racer86 View Post
                  should use the correct stand for the transaxle. GM notes to not set the transaxle on the pan as damage could result, ..just sayin. Great work on the start of a clutch upgrade. Hope you share more info as it is developed.
                  Thank you sir, we will be sharing as much info as possible with everyone. That is our goal.

That pan is super strong. One of my friends was a head engineer on the project at Tremec, I made sure with him it was ok to put it on a table since they built it, GM didn't.

That said we do have stands being built to make it so we can retain the fluid when doing clutch swaps to save people money... they will hold it by several designed mounting points that my buddy showed me. Should be cool!

Comment

Dodson is making great headway, we are seeing lots of room for improvement and are pretty close to final development on the first C8 Upgraded clutch!!!

I can't share too much detail right at the moment but figured you guys would enjoy some of these pictures.

~N. Cicio

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6628.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	153501Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6623.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	153502Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6630.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	153503Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6625.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	153504Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6631.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	153505Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6627.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	153506
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Cicio , Amazing how the mechanical and technical revolution is advancing. Will keep tuned for future updates.
                      Rocket City Florida

Comment

Thanks for the pics, always nice to geek out over those sorts of things.

Comment

Nice to see someone doing real engineering instead of just bending tubing and slapping parts together. Not something I'll be buying, probably, but for those who need or want it nice to see it being done right.
                          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                          >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

For those of you not in the know, Dodson is the go to in the GT-R world for the GR6 (DCT) upgrades. There are a few other players, but Dodson has the best reputation and the best resale. With a clutch pack upgrade, built 1st/2nd gear, and maybe a drop gear upgrade and some halfshafts, you should be able to launch the C8 over and over with no issues.

Comment

Hey Cicio, great pics & thanks for the R&D!
                              I know you can't share many details yet but it looks like the diameter of the clutches are at max already as the outer drum is very close to the case, so larger diameter probably isn't an option.
                              I assume the depth is also maximized, stock-wise, so no more room for more of the same thickness clutch plates.
                              Upping the apply pressure might be an option, as long as the stock pump, seals & gaskets can take it.

So clutch-wise, if you were to add clutch plates, they would be thinner & not be able to handle as much slip and heat as they would warp easier/quicker, but the higher clutch apply oil pressure may help there.
                              There might also be different clutch plate material upgrades - both fibers and steels.

I also assume the quicker, stronger clutch apply would increase shock forces throughout the entire geartrain, so which other components need upgrading?

I appreciate any more info you can give, but I understand that you/Dodson don't want to show all you cards.

And use your great pics when someone dares to call this an automatic transmission -- the gear train is all beefy manual transmission!
                              It just happens to be shifted automatically -- best of both worlds.

TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                              Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X