MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Plastic Red Engine Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Red Engine Cover

Great response and service from Wildhammer Motorsports. I ordered the part on Feb 4th and received on Feb 7th; they emailed invoice on day of delivery, sent an email on day of shipping, and next day FedEx arrival, no charge for shipping. Thanks Wildhammwer.

So now about the GM official part. It is hard and solid styrene-like plastic, probably weighs about 1/2 pound, and my guess took about $25 to make. I assume it is heat resistant material and has thin plastic foam insulation glued to back. The Corvette name plates are glued on the top, metalic red sprayed painted, and the four mounting holes are metal lined to assure tight hand torque mounting without damaging plastic cover.

I have no doubt it will sufficiently live up to it’s purpose of a decorative cover. For a GM priced $450 cover (our MECF vendor discounts that price BTW), I was at least expecting an aluminum cover. No one outside looking in, would ever know the attractive cover is plastic. But you know, as I race down the country road at 80 mph in my new GM supercar, I won’t get out of my mind, there is a piece of plastic covering the engine behind me. I’ll be OK, don’t worry about me ... I’ll either get over it, or remove it, or perhaps find an aftermarket aluminum cover some day.

Oh, by the way, I also ordered the illuminated door sills. I heard they help increase lateral g-force of the car by 0.2g and increase engine HP by 2.5. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by bpost22; 02-09-2020, 08:13 AM.
    TPW 2/17 .. Shadow Gray Metallic w/Natural, 3LT, Z51, Mag, Lift, Spectra Gray Trident, Edge Red Calipers, Body Color Accents.

Past owned: 1984 C4, Medium Gray Metallic, Coupe, VIN# 1004; 1981 C3 White Coupe; 1980 C3 Dark Claret, Coupe

I wonder if the engine cover will be made available in other colors? Tension blue?
    CMGM 3lt w/tension/Midnight blue 2 tone interior, Z51, mag. ride, front lift +

Comment

Originally posted by Speculate View Post
      I wonder if the engine cover will be made available in other colors? Tension blue?
      Not so far on GM’s part list, perhaps never. But you can assume there will be a lot of after-market options.
      TPW 2/17 .. Shadow Gray Metallic w/Natural, 3LT, Z51, Mag, Lift, Spectra Gray Trident, Edge Red Calipers, Body Color Accents.

Past owned: 1984 C4, Medium Gray Metallic, Coupe, VIN# 1004; 1981 C3 White Coupe; 1980 C3 Dark Claret, Coupe

Comment

Can you just get a rattle can and masking tape and paint it whatever color you want?
        Last edited by DaveM; 02-09-2020, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I also received my red engine cover from Wildhammer. Great service. The Corvette engine covers have been cheap, lightweight plastic for a very long time. It does look nice though. I bought some Testor's paint (red, black,gold, silver and white) and small brushes yesterday. I am going to paint the inside of the flags. It's all red now.

Comment

Originally posted by capevettes View Post
            I also received my red engine cover from Wildhammer. Great service. The Corvette engine covers have been cheap, lightweight plastic for a very long time. It does look nice though. I bought some Testor's paint (red, black,gold, silver and white) and small brushes yesterday. I am going to paint the inside of the flags. It's all red now.
            Show us your painting prowess when done.

Comment

Can you post
              Wildhammer's site if they have one

Comment

Originally posted by bpost22 View Post

Show us your painting prowess when done.
                Will do, although the jury is still out on my prowess. Here is the before picture.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20200203_173558.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	111318

Comment

Originally posted by Njfisherman View Post
                  Can you post
                  Wildhammer's site if they have one
                  wildhammermotorsports.com

Comment

Is that the exact same engine cover that Chevrolet is selling as an accessory or an aftermarket version of same? Not that it matters, but if I can save $70 bucks it's a help.

Comment

GM official part.

Comment

Will do, although the jury is still out on my prowess. Here is the before picture.

Name:	20200203_173558.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	111318
                        Just finished up. Here is the after picture. Not bad considering I did it!!

Name:	20200210_135511.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	111473

Comment

Just finished up. Here is the after picture. Not bad considering I did it!!

Name:	20200210_135511.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	111473
                          That was quick ... great job! I was half-way thinking about doing the entire emblem in gold.
                          Do we think that is a corvette blasphemy?

Comment

Originally posted by bpost22 View Post

That was quick ... great job! I was half-way thinking about doing the entire emblem in gold.
                            Do we think that is a corvette blasphemy?
                            Thank You! Yes, Blasphemy LOL.

Comment

Looks GREAT capevettes! Too bad you do not live near me and we could trade your skill for dinner.

Another option would be to color-mirror the standard C8 emblem.

Name:	3F4A3620-B8CE-4494-A308-B11B7A2F9107.jpeg
Views:	774
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	111488
                              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X