MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Suspension technical question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Suspension technical question

    Actually, I have a C7 with magnetic control suspension. I ride almost 90% of the time on track mode because I like firm suspension. Because of that, I m not sure to take magnetic ride on my C8... my question is: If I don't have magnetic ride on the C8, what is the firmness of the stock suspenstion equivalent if we compare with the magnetic controled suspension on my C7?

    Sorry for my poor english and thanks for your help.

    have a nice week end

  • #2
    Good question. I would imagine it is probably set to something similar to touring. Without Z51 and Magna Ride it is not electronically adjustable. Magna Ride should have been a stand alone option and not tied to Z51
    Last edited by joehebertiii; 01-11-2020, 10:07 AM.
    2LT coupe, ELB, GT2, Sky Cool Gray, two-tone, front lift, body color accents, NPP, body color roof, black seat belts, Spectra Gray wheels, black calipers, battery protection.

    Comment


    • #3
      Mag ride could be a stand alone option in future C8 Stingrays. In all the work required to get the C8 developed from concept car to where it is now, with the tiny Corvette team staff, calibrating a fourth suspension option was not do-able in year one.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

      Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

      Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by John View Post
        Mag ride could be a stand alone option in future C8 Stingrays. In all the work required to get the C8 developed from concept car to where it is now, with the tiny Corvette team staff, calibrating a fourth suspension option was not do-able in year one.
        Thanks John.

        But without the MRC, the suspension firmness will be smooth or firm?

        Comment


        • #5
          A direct comparison between conventional shock absorbers and the mag ride system is not very meaningful since the two use different means for controlling the relative motion between vehicle body and wheel/tire. If designed and programmed correctly, the mag ride can be as "firm" as needed for the operating situation with touring mode giving priority to body motion (ride comfort) and track mode giving priority independently to wheel/tire motion (handling). With the new generation mag ride on the C8 using accelerometers, the system may finally be evolving into what a semi-active suspension can be, which is far superior to a conventional shock-absorber suspension.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm still up in the air 'bout the "LIFT" FEATURE.
            Will it still allow me to lower the front ? And if so, by how much?



            Coupe,Z51,2LT,GT1,Magnetic dream ride.
            C8er

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Fetalos View Post

              Thanks John.

              But without the MRC, the suspension firmness will be smooth or firm?
              Are you looking at a Z51 or base model? In either case, I think the non MSRC will ride softer than what you're used to. MSRC in track mode is VERY firm. The normal Z51 ride will likely be a compromise between handling and ride. The non-Z51 will probably be a bit softer than the Z51 without MSRC.
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

              Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >36,000 miles

              Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

              Never grow up - It's a trap.

              Comment


              • #8
                From Corvette Concierge:
                As always, it was good to hear from you yesterday. You asked great questions per usual. We did pass them along to Harlan Charles and he advised that with the Magnetic Ride Control, the dampers can change in a fraction of a second depending on road conditions. The program varies by driver so Tour, Sport, and Track will all have different programs. Without Mag Ride, the dampers are fixed so they do not vary by mode. Additionally, your standard suspension will provide a balance drive for all around driving for comfort, balanced with performance.
                2LT coupe, ELB, GT2, Sky Cool Gray, two-tone, front lift, body color accents, NPP, body color roof, black seat belts, Spectra Gray wheels, black calipers, battery protection.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

                  Are you looking at a Z51 or base model? In either case, I think the non MSRC will ride softer than what you're used to. MSRC in track mode is VERY firm. The normal Z51 ride will likely be a compromise between handling and ride. The non-Z51 will probably be a bit softer than the Z51 without MSRC.
                  I ordered a z51... without mrc for the moment... I have to take a decision if the mrc worth 2500$

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by joehebertiii View Post
                    From Corvette Concierge:
                    As always, it was good to hear from you yesterday. You asked great questions per usual. We did pass them along to Harlan Charles and he advised that with the Magnetic Ride Control, the dampers can change in a fraction of a second depending on road conditions. The program varies by driver so Tour, Sport, and Track will all have different programs. Without Mag Ride, the dampers are fixed so they do not vary by mode. Additionally, your standard suspension will provide a balance drive for all around driving for comfort, balanced with performance.
                    Thanks for this answer

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Fetalos View Post

                      I ordered a z51... without mrc for the moment... I have to take a decision if the mrc worth 2500$
                      1. Having MRC may be a positive if later on selling the Z51
                      2. I think the design of the shocks for MRC are better
                      3. If others also will drive your Z51 they may prefer a different ride control that MRC will allow
                      4. If GM comes up with software updates then MRC allows for that where static shocks get no changes
                      5. There maybe times when driving at upper limits as to suspension travel and MRC will be enjoyed
                      6. Weather effects how shock travel feels and with MRC would allow making changes for that
                      7. Original costs will be lower rather then later wanting to add better shock design
                      8. Allows for 3rd party business who come up with customs setting via software to be done

                      We saw way back when it was called FX3 for C4s and with that we could send those Bilstein shocks to them and they could better custom
                      tune/valving changes allowed for FX3 but not for non FX3 shocks
                      Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                      1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Great analysis Team ZR1. Thank you.
                        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

                        Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

                        Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Teamzr1 View Post

                          1. Having MRC may be a positive if later on selling the Z51
                          2. I think the design of the shocks for MRC are better
                          3. If others also will drive your Z51 they may prefer a different ride control that MRC will allow
                          4. If GM comes up with software updates then MRC allows for that where static shocks get no changes
                          5. There maybe times when driving at upper limits as to suspension travel and MRC will be enjoyed
                          6. Weather effects how shock travel feels and with MRC would allow making changes for that
                          7. Original costs will be lower rather then later wanting to add better shock design
                          8. Allows for 3rd party business who come up with customs setting via software to be done

                          We saw way back when it was called FX3 for C4s and with that we could send those Bilstein shocks to them and they could better custom
                          tune/valving changes allowed for FX3 but not for non FX3 shocks
                          first I would absolutely get the mrc if getting the z51 unless corvette specifically tuned the fixed valving to match the z51. The z51 is about 25 percent stiffer front and rear and has a bigger rear bar. So just for rain vs touring vs sport I would want mrc.

                          I have a few additional questions. I have rebuilt and revalved triple penskes many times on my race car but this is my first car with mrc. How will the dyno curves look between different modes. Can we get dyno curves?

                          With the penskes I could dial low speed car control forces how I wanted and high speed bump soft and high speed rebound right where I wanted using shim stacks and bleed holes. We could also allow blow off for high shaft speed curb climbing. Will the mrc faithfully replicate this?

                          i would love to see how soft rain valving is versus track mode and I really wonder how sophisticated and complex the damper force curves are and does the accelerometers they are apparently now using with 1 kHz feedback loop speeds allow this kind of control.

                          Also how complex is the valving. Do they use bump and rebound shim stacks and bleed holes etc or is it much simpler valving or completely different because of the electronic viscosity control
                          Last edited by Red Corvette; 01-11-2020, 04:37 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Good questions you have Red Corvette

                            I doubt anyone has your answers until the C8 Z51 hit the streets in public's hands and start hacking on them

                            I understand where your coming from as I have used Penske shock systems on my C4 ZR-1 and for my 1999 C5 have been on for over 20 years & still function as if new and allowing car owners to rebuild or tune valving is a big plus for their design, though they are costly

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	penske.gif
Views:	220
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	102153
                            Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                            1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by John View Post
                              Great analysis Team ZR1. Thank you.
                              Your Welcome John

                              Consider the lessor cost of stock MRC over like later wanting better (then non MRC shocks), (including GM warranty)
                              Penske as example is over $4,000 !
                              Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                              1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

                              Comment

                              MECF_728x90_bottom

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X