MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Welcome Ikon Performance As Our Featured Forum Vendor

We are extremely pleased to have the high quality firm of Ikon Performance join us with their C8 exhaust system being their lead C8 product. Ikon is at: http://www.ikonperformance.com/c8-Co...xhaust-system/ Their C8 exhaust is bent, made of 304 stainless, with round exhaust tips and more.
2 of 4 < >

Corvette Today Podcast IS On Now With CorvetteBlogger and Steve Garrett

Steve Garrett and CorvetteBlogger Keith Cornett examine “Corvette Headlines & News” for mid-September 2020. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...rftb Included in this episode are: The Corvette Visualizer for 2021 is now online; The National Corvette Museum raffles off the 1.75 millionth Corvette; Electric, all-wheel drive Corvette possibly coming out in 2023;Country Music star George Jones’ Corvette gets donated to the NCM;.....and more!Stay current on what's going on in the world of Corvette with this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!
3 of 4 < >

FOLLOW THIS FORUM RULE!

All shall follow this forum rule:

“11. Do not post URL links to any product or service that is offered by a forum vendor. Exception: If the product or service you wish to link is one that you know is not offered by a forum supporting vendor, you may post that link. Examples of the latter could include tools, common products like duct/electrical tape, motor oil, and/or providers of specialized upgrade, maintenance or repair services.”

You may use a non forum business name, posting such as, “I buy at Joe’s” but again may not post a link to nor a URL of Joe’s.
See more
See less

Will Winter Tires Ruin Your C8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murray20c8
    replied
    Originally posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
    ^^^Ouch. Hope you walked away ok.
    Yup, Thanks. I crawled out OK. T-Tops shattered, passenger side window shattered. In fact all the windows shattered except the drivers side which my head impacted against! lol Love that GM made the "T" good and strong. I landed upside down and had the smarts to shut off the engine before exiting the vehicle. Insurance company found 3 comparable cars so they gave me the price of the middle one and I bought the cheapest one. It was almost identical and had only 50,000 km's on it. (250,000 km's on the old one) Managed to sell the stroker motor for $3K, the tranny for $4K. I made out like a bandit. I made about $9k by rolling the car! LOL sssshhhhh don't let my Insurance company know.

Leave a comment:

• LSECO
    replied
    Summer only tires used in the winter may ruin your C8. Quite the dilemma for cold country buyers that order Z51.

Leave a comment:

• Ragtop 99
    replied
    ^^^Ouch. Hope you walked away ok.

Leave a comment:

• Murray20c8
    replied
    I run Michelin Alpin snows in the winter on my Camaro SS. While I was working I would drive it daily no matter what the weather. Except one day when I hit black ice WITH my ice Tires. I still drive it (the new one, not this one) in the winter, but not daily.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crunch.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	101507

Leave a comment:

• Ragtop 99
    replied
    Would I put on true winter tires? The answer is no. I don't need to drive the vette in the snow and salt.

I learned the hard way that good winter tires inspire spirited driving, but let go at the limits or in water much easier, and without warning, than a good all-season or summer tire. If I can pick-up a set of rims at a reasonable price, I'll remove my summer tires and put on a cold weather capable tire, but snow capability will not be a factor in tire choice. Otherwise, the vette will be parked when temps are below 35* as I'm getting a Z51. Hoping that there will some good deals on the base tire and rims from those upgrading to aftermarket wheels and tires.

Leave a comment:

• Neil H
    replied
    Thanks for the story JB and now I just gotta tell one of mine.
    I was 19, trying hard to get chores done to get to the hockey game -- we were in playoffs.
    Left the farm to catch the bus in my 76 Gran Jury, 360 with about a 2.70 rear end.
    10 miles down the road, I tried to make a corner with my slicks and even the cords that were showing didn't give me enough grip!
    Back then we called our worn out tires slicks!
    Into the snow filled ditch, walked 2 miles, got pulled out, realized I missed the bus, headed the other direction to get to the town we were playing in.
    Got to the highway and put her to the floor -- the highway was clear and dry.
    Topped the hill, saw a cop on an approach at the bottom, hit the brakes but I didn't have much traction with all 4's in the air.
    Slowed down and pulled over and she said "Where are you going in such a big hurry?".
    I said I missed the bus and so I am heading to Wadena for the game and she said "Oh yeah, you guys are in playoffs!".
    She asked "Do you know how fast you were going?".
    I said "Honestly I don't because the speedo only goes to 105 (mph back then) and the needle was buried."
    So she said "Well, you were going 232 kph (which is 145 mph), and if you slow down, you will still make the game. Just make sure you guys win!" and she let me go!
    Wow, the good old days!
    I wanted to get her number because she was really cute but I thought I better not push my luck and off I went -- still regretting not getting her number -- dumb kid!
    So, I don't know, if I had winters on, I might not have this story to tell.
    BTW we won the game and I got 2 goals, but I still regret not scoring another way!

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied

back in the late 1970s and 1980s. We used to do road rallys and the offroad sections for us were like this...it was my best friend at the time was the navagator and we drove the road portion part of the rallys like they still do today...mostly legal speeds unless as a team you got lost...but on the dirt portions of the rally we tried to drive like these guys...dirt snow...its all pretty much the same...

back in the early 80s we didnt care about our cars like we do today...i dont remember the years exactly..and we sure as heck werent driving anywhere near as fast or quick these professionals but back then we would blow a few bowls and roar our @$$es off....

just fun times in our youth...

i wouldnt drive on dirt roads like that any more with our expensive prized possessions..now when I drive on dirt roads to get to horseback stables its slow and careful but as young 20 somethings we were nuts...again...no where near the talent of these guys...but we still had fun all the same...

snow days even today are of little problem especially with snow tires ...and rarely does it get too quick...

Snow days brings back great memories...

these days road rallys with nice cars are all mountain passes etc and no dirt roads.....back then we thought dirt roads meant no speed limits and no cops at all to worry about...so we loved them..

funny as young teenagers and 20 somethings back in those days the police were a lot more lenient...if in fact they did find you messing around...on the road portions

now adays its pretty much...go to jail ...go directly to jail and do not pass go...

impounding of todays cars is a common occurrence...back then the police would write you a ticket under 15 mph over the limit no matter how fast you were going and tell you to knock it off even if you were racing another guy...

i hate to say this but back then we would also drink and drive..it wasnt considered a crime like it has been for the past few decades.....and the police used to tell us to just go home...didnt matter how much smoke was pouring out of the car when stopped either..l ...

of course as the laws changed over the years and the seriousness of drunk driving became more well known etc...I grew up as well....and would once the laws got serious about drunk driving never drove even a little high now everybody knows two drink maximum, might even be a one drink maximum these days....and Im not even a drinker for decades......but back in those days...it was a normal occurrence.back then driving drunk was a laugh off offense for the policemen....serious but they really were much more relaxed about it...you guys my age and older remember..(people began hirting other people while driving drunk and it was no longer an acceptable behavior)

43 years is a long time..

sorry for the trip down memory lane and sorry to go off topic...

snow tires are smart to have...all seasons not quite so much for anything more serious than cold weather and maybe a few inches of snow...for that all seasons are fine....on corvettes.
    Last edited by JB; 01-09-2020, 01:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    Either Im getting older or the summer performance tires have a much further developed rubber compound...years ago i would drive on high performance tires and they handled snow pretty good...i dont remember how many years back back i remember one set of high performance tires just really didnt perform in the snow so off I went with a dedicated set of snow tires..

dedicated snows are awesome...

sure you meed to be conservative with pedal application but thats part of the fun..

ice racing is a sport too...even without studded tires...

i remember back in the mid to late 1970s we would drive with studded snows out back on our pony cars...regular tires up front...

when there was no snow we would light up the rears and night and send sparks flying

heck i remember being all of 17 ... the first month or two with my license we hopped in my bright yellow convertible firebird with the top down in the snow and the heater blasting...to go party down at the beach...

crazy good times for sure...

maybe that memory is what makes me 43 years later still enjoy driving sports cars in the snow...although these days the transparent top on the car makes due...roof off is a little crazy even for ke when its snowing or temps so cold...

driving rear mid engine sports cars in the snow in the mountains brings back memories as well from my youth...

rear mid engine cars with snows are what many early rally cars were...

just google lancia monte carlo 037 to get am idea of what im talkimg about...it was a rally champion and competitor for what seemed many years in my youth.. i had built for me a forged piston, alcohol injected turbocharged motor rear mid engine monster back the. With as much hp as the supercharged 037... Click image for larger version

Name:	E08D7CC6-3E7A-4797-A3BF-6AEF1EAA82A0.jpeg
Views:	456
Size:	4.31 MB
ID:	101366

hagerty did a great story on the last rear wheel drive champion..the lancia

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...gendary-lancia
    https://www.google.com/search?q=lamc...obile&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=lamc...CGwxQNZCpysIM:
    Last edited by JB; 01-09-2020, 12:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ACMX92
    replied
    Originally posted by JB View Post
    I love driving my corvettes in the northeast winters. I actually really get a high from driving my corvette on snow covered roads...its a beautiful trip around the frozen wooded lake i live on and the views are spectular with the water frozen...as I travel around there with theearly morning sun ...

the views are breathtaking...and with snow tires even pretty big storms arent a problem after the first pass of the plows...

we had 27 inches of snow one night early moring...and no matter what type fo vehicle i would have owned the roads were closed...but next day the roads were relatively cleared and I was out in my corvette with snow tires..the snow on the roads was packed down pretty good for the most part ...

i felt like James bond in a couple of his old movies driving on snow packed roads ...I may not have had a sexy passenger sitting next to me during his ski adventire before killing a few soies etc...but it was a blast...

just something so cool and freeing about not caring about protecting our favorite toys...to the Nth degree...

many would disagree so please excuse me as Im a crazy man..

i especially like how it freaks my wife of 25 years...(my first corvette back in 1999 i didnt take it out too often in bad weather etc) after that I was like what the hell...its just a car...she thinks drivi png without a cuv and awd in the snow is damgerous...

i dont know about kost of you guys my age or older but back in the 1970s...most all of us drove rear drive pony cars or sports cars without a care in the world..no active handling, No ABS...hell have the time we didnt even have radial tires...it was pretty cutting edge to have radial tires...yet we all managed....

now with rear mid engine we are going to be slicker than ever..

slap on some real snow tires and nothing is going to stop us.

driving at 5.21 mark in the video on snow packed roads is no problem but never on narrow what seems like one lane road with no barrier with a pretty large drop off is a little over the top ..not sure id go more than 20 mph in tjat scenerio...its not like there is any runoff in case you go wide which can happen quite easily at higher speeds..above 20 mph...imo...

go wide at 30 or so and its not bad on two lane roads with some runoff or snow drifts...

this guy at 5.21 had no snow drifts...just a big drop off...

that was pretty wild ...

you never want to slide into a snow drift but off the road completely would really suck...
    You and I seem to share the same views on snow driving. My first car was a 72 Buick Skylark and I drove that car year round in New York. I didn't have the pleasure of being around for Bias Ply tires, but a set of skinny no-season radials was enough fun for me. It sure taught me a lot about driving in the snow and turned it from a fear into a joy.

Leave a comment:

• ACMX92
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    Thanks ACMX92 for finding and posting this video. Harlan and the top members of the Corvette team, all located in Michigan with its terrible winter weather, drive Corvettes year round, in the winter shod with Michelin Pilot Alpin 4’s. We see pictures of Harlan every winter in his annual snow-escapade picture, sometimes in a convertible Corvette, temperature in the teens, driving through inches of snow. We also saw Kirk Bennion do so last winter in 4” inches of snow in a ZR1. According to Phil Minch, Assistant Chief Engineer, who drove a C7 Z06 during an entire snowy winter, with the Alpin 4’s, when I asked him how that went, he replied, “it has the stability of a tank.”

Maybe those of us considering winter driving should not go halfway with Michelin A/S 4’s but go all the way to true, snow-flake on sidewall, winter rated Alpin 4’s (or 5’s if they make them now in a size for the C8.)
    I have tried all sorts of different tires in snow and as far as performance winter tires go I was quite impressed with the Alpin 4's. I had a set on my Focus RS and that car seemed to defy the laws of physics in the snow.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Thanks ACMX92 for finding and posting this video. Harlan and the top members of the Corvette team, all located in Michigan with its terrible winter weather, drive Corvettes year round, in the winter shod with Michelin Pilot Alpin 4’s. We see pictures of Harlan every winter in his annual snow-escapade picture, sometimes in a convertible Corvette, temperature in the teens, driving through inches of snow. We also saw Kirk Bennion do so last winter in 4” inches of snow in a ZR1. According to Phil Minch, Assistant Chief Engineer, who drove a C7 Z06 during an entire snowy winter, with the Alpin 4’s, when I asked him how that went, he replied, “it has the stability of a tank.”

Maybe those of us considering winter driving should not go halfway with Michelin A/S 4’s but go all the way to true, snow-flake on sidewall, winter rated Alpin 4’s (or 5’s if they make them now in a size for the C8.)

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    I love driving my corvettes in the northeast winters. I actually really get a high from driving my corvette on snow covered roads...its a beautiful trip around the frozen wooded lake i live on and the views are spectular with the water frozen...as I travel around there with theearly morning sun ...

the views are breathtaking...and with snow tires even pretty big storms arent a problem after the first pass of the plows...

we had 27 inches of snow one night early moring...and no matter what type fo vehicle i would have owned the roads were closed...but next day the roads were relatively cleared and I was out in my corvette with snow tires..the snow on the roads was packed down pretty good for the most part ...

i felt like James bond in a couple of his old movies driving on snow packed roads ...I may not have had a sexy passenger sitting next to me during his ski adventure before killing a few spies etc...but it was a blast...

just something so cool and freeing about not caring about protecting our favorite toys...to the Nth degree...

many would disagree so please excuse me as Im a crazy man..

i especially like how it freaks my wife of 25 years...(my first corvette back in 1999 i didnt take it out too often in bad weather etc) after that I was like what the hell...its just a car...she thinks drivi png without a cuv and awd in the snow is damgerous...

i dont know about kost of you guys my age or older but back in the 1970s...most all of us drove rear drive pony cars or sports cars without a care in the world..no active handling, No ABS...hell have the time we didnt even have radial tires...it was pretty cutting edge to have radial tires...yet we all managed....

now with rear mid engine we are going to be slicker than ever..

slap on some real snow tires and nothing is going to stop us.

driving at 5.21 mark in the video on snow packed roads is no problem but never on narrow what seems like one lane road with no barrier with a pretty large drop off is a little over the top ..not sure id go more than 20 mph in tjat scenerio...its not like there is any runoff in case you go wide which can happen quite easily at higher speeds..above 20 mph...imo...

go wide at 30 or so and its not bad on two lane roads with some runoff or snow drifts...

this guy at 5.21 had no snow drifts...just a big drop off...

that was pretty wild ...

you never want to slide into a snow drift but off the road completely would really suck...
    Last edited by JB; 01-09-2020, 01:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ACMX92
    started a topic Will Winter Tires Ruin Your C8?

Will Winter Tires Ruin Your C8?

Here is an excellent video to help reassure the crazy few of us who plan on driving our C8s year round above the snowbelt.

I have driven all sorts of cars in the snow: new, old, RWD, FWD, AWD, heavy or light. For me, the single biggest factor is a set of good winter tires. Driven responsibly, they can make any car feel safe in wintery conditions.

With tire technology improving so rapidly, there are winter tires on the market that perform almost as well as a summer sport tire in the dry and wet while maintaining a margin of safety in snowy or icy conditions.

Of course unfortunately more than a few inches of snow will turn our C8s into a midengine snowplow. Maybe we will get an E60 update for deep snow mode (kidding).

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X