1st Engine Cover Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Engine Cover Option

Have your OEM exterior color painted engine cover sitting in your garage waiting for your C8 to arrive!

Click image for larger version  Name:	7689CAA5-D6A5-458D-BE8F-87972EC14080.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	510.1 KB ID:	83758

While we wait for GM to come up with a Edge Red and the Silver engine cover options @ $495, here is the first aftermarket (A/M) one — including matching all 2020 exterior color paints.

Price equal $325 you surrender your return OEM engine cover, and buyer pays for its return shipping to the vendor (though jagamajajaran has said it is a composite plastic and is light in weight).

https://www.ebay.com/i/153644872716?...RoCy-4QAvD_BwE

From seller on ebay:

Click image for larger version

Name:	820197EB-20BC-400B-A9A5-44C819102D16.jpeg
Views:	659
Size:	487.7 KB
ID:	83763

Note that black and Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic are not offered.

Potential color combination caution about above: As we all know, the OEM valve covers are always Edge Red. I reached out to Brett Golliff, Color and Trim Manager, to clarify how close Edge Red and Long Beach Red are.

Quote=BrettGolliff]Edge Red is nowhere near similar to the Long Beach Red. Do they harmonize, yes. But they are not the same color space. Edge Red is anodized, giving it a completely different appearance.[/Quote]

Buyer beware if this is the particular combination you are considering.

Does this A/M option appeal to you? Or are you considering instead waiting for the two OEM’s? Or painting it yourself? Or having your body shop do it for you?
    Last edited by John; 10-19-2019, 07:03 PM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Not appealing to me to send them my engine cover...and wait for its return...while not being able to drive my C8.
    Now, if they would send me the painted engine cover first, then that may work. But wouldn’t it be easier/faster to just have it done locally?
    I guess I don’t see the incentive to mail away here.
    Last edited by poptop2000; 10-19-2019, 07:39 PM.
    First Car: 1974 Fiat X1/9 mid-engine.
    1985 Toyota MR2 first generation mid-engine, 2000 Toyota MR2 third generation mid-engine, 2005 Lotus Elise mid-engine.
    Currently own 1993 Corvette Convertible. Time to merge mid with Vette.

Comment

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-engine-covers
      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
      >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Exactly, have you pay a core charge, send you your newly painted one, you take off your OEM and ship it, and get your core charge returned to you.

Yes, since its removal/re-install is quick and easy, you could paint it yourself, or pre-arraign with your body shop for you to bring it to them when they open in the morning, pick it up the end of that day or the next morning.
        Last edited by John; 10-19-2019, 07:44 PM.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

I'm curious how easy/hard it is to remove the engine cover myself. If fairly simple I'd take it to my local shop and have them shoot it for me. I'm on the fence of trying to match the red valve covers to it or paint it Zeus Bronze. With having a coupe, looking through that back glass from either inside the cockpit or outside the car is like looking into the jewelry box and it's got to be on point! This car will have the Tupac Shakur "ALL EYES ON ME" syndrome for some time, so it's got to be right!
          Last edited by chozn4service; 10-19-2019, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Most importantly it is right on top of the motor, easily accessible with no fuel lines, electrical wires or other components on top of the engine cover. Second, it removes with just two easily accessible bolts per side, and lastly, two rubber-plastic “button nipples” (one on each end that come up easily with a plastic pry tool) to remove.

On a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is you can do it while you are asleep, 5 is get a pro Technician, you did not even wake up while you first removed it and later re-installed it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	159ADFF1-5262-43F8-ABED-E356FAE9325D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	83812
            Last edited by John; 10-19-2019, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know exactly what function it has other than looks? Is it preventing heat from escaping the engine? If it is just for looks I will be removing mine permanently as I have done in many other vehicles. I will be limo tinting my rear window anyway so nobody will be able to look into it anyway.
              Rocket City Florida

Comment

I have no idea what purpose(s) the LT2’s engine cover might serve, but we all know that GM has been castigated, perhaps unfairly, for the lack of acceptable looks for its previous Corvette engine covers, even tarred and feathered in comparison, to not having engine covers that were even in the same league as Ferrari’s gorgeous red ones (even though the Ferrari costs many, many, many times more than a Corvette). So might the beautiful C8 Edge Red engine, described as “jewelry” by some who do not even own a Corvette, be purely an aesthetic? Or does it serve functional heat dispersal or other qualities???

Comment

It looks like it is made for appearance purpose only, however I have never seen one in person, as at the KSC Vert Reveal they would not open the engine compartment for me to check it out. If it is only for looks I will remove it as soon as I get it home and will sell it to somebody as it will never retain extra heat in my engine compartment.
                  Rocket City Florida

Comment

I would guess primarily looks, but also it probably has some sound insulation underneath. I'm pretty sure the plastic cover on the LT1 has that insulation.
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

I'd forgotten Ebay was still a thing.

Comment

I wonder if the convertible has any sort of cover there at all.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >35,000+ miles

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                          I wonder if the convertible has any sort of cover there at all.
                          We need to learn the engine cover’s purpose before anyone removes it expecting that it is merely cosmetic. It may redirect heat or fanned-air away from the glass or the vert’s stored hardtop. I’d hate to see someone bake the paint on their top because they removed the engine cover.
                          Last edited by poptop2000; 10-20-2019, 06:37 PM.
                          First Car: 1974 Fiat X1/9 mid-engine.
                          1985 Toyota MR2 first generation mid-engine, 2000 Toyota MR2 third generation mid-engine, 2005 Lotus Elise mid-engine.
                          Currently own 1993 Corvette Convertible. Time to merge mid with Vette.

Comment

I think it is just for looks. Seems I saw somewhere that the intake manifold is homely with some ribs over the top. Not like some exotic aluminum alloy pieces. It would have been good if they just made it look like the previous LS etc intakes. I guess the aftermarkets will be making some good looking metal manifolds after they get their hands on the ones from GM.

Comment

GM stated it is only for looks as top of intake manifold is not pretty looking
                              I still think unless some testing that glossy colors is going to be bouncing off sunlight into cabin area

Those louver opening are slanted toward the bulkhead glass and reflect sunlight
                              Best I think is a flat color that is less reflecting

Myself would not leave it on as only traps the higher heat at top to intake, fuel rails (if they are below it), heating the fuel up making
                              it a worst charge to cylinders, etc

Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	84277
                              Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                              1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X