Badge/decal delete methods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badge/decal delete methods?

Assuming I won't be able to get my badging removed during the PDI (flags, stingray, corvette), what are the best methods to remove these on one's own?

I also understand there are some decals in the driver door. Any special trick to removing those?

GooGone, a hair dryer, patience, either good dental floss or fine fishing line. And more patience. Please be careful to let the GooGone sit for at least minutes while you gently warm up the adhesive holding the front fascia emblem and the rear fascia letter while it is working (it will not hurt your paint). Do not to use even a plastic pry tool to to make the process go faster, for more than a few have learned the hard way by prying up on one corner with a pry tool has caused the opposite corner to dig into the paint.

I also insure that the GooGone does not dribble down below into/onto things I do not want. Microfiber towels, soft Cotten, soft tissues or similar, but I do not use paper towels nor bath towels to mop it up for they are too harsh IMO.

I would be very cautious in not removing the door edge decals, at least not all, for the one that has your car’s month of manufacture is one I feel should remain forever. I know of hell one person went through when his door was destroyed, and not even BGA would match/replace a couple of his door labels. But it is your car and you get to choose.
    Last edited by John; 10-10-2019, 06:27 PM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      GooGone, a hair dryer, patience, either good dental floss or fine fishing line. And more patience. Please be careful to let the GooGone sit for at least minutes while you gently warm up the adhesive holding the front fascia emblem and the rear fascia letter while it is working (it will not hurt your paint). Do not to use even a plastic pry tool to to make the process go faster, for more than a few have learned the hard way by prying up on one corner with a pry tool has caused the opposite corner to dig into the paint.

I also insure that the GooGone does not dribble down below into/onto things I do not want. Microfiber towels, soft Cotten, soft tissues or similar, but I do not use paper towels nor bath towels to mop it up for they are too harsh IMO.

I would be very cautious in not removing the door edge decals, at least not all, for the one that has your car’s month of manufacture is one I feel should remain forever. I know of hell one person went through when his door was destroyed, and not even BGA would match/replace a couple of his door labels. But it is your car and you get to choose.
      What John said. I’ve had good luck using Goo Gone, heat gun and fishing line. If you leave the car out in the sun for a bit it helps.

EDIT: patience is key!!! If you don’t get into a hurry it’s really not difficult and won’t damage your paint when you take your time.
      Last edited by RoketRdr; 10-10-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I also removed the inside visor warning decals with goo gone and a good heater in my c7... Click image for larger version

Name:	540F128C-C5B4-4744-8C2F-E863692130F2.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	746.5 KB
ID:	80879

Comment

Also simply searching for "debadge car" in youtube search bar shows quite a few videos all using a similar technic. Is debadging very common on corvettes or just a personal preference for some owners? I think I like it either way - I never thought about removing them but will be thinking about maybe doing it.

Comment

I have found the 3m adhesive remover works best for removing any badging or adhesive residue, after all 3m makes all the adhesives that are used on these badges. I had to remove the bowtie from the back of one of my cars recently...I sprayed the 3m adhesive remover between the badge and the trunk lid, waited about 30 seconds and the bowtie came right off.

I have also used the methods above stated by others with great success (googone, heat and fishing line). Just be patient and don't use any tools to pry.
            My Tactics Instructor use to say "it doesn't matter what you carry....but you can never have enough ammo".

Cars 1973 Camaro RS RestoMod (LSX454) if I ever finish, 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT (was my Dad's car, lots of sentimental meaning), 2012 Hennessey HPE600 Camaro Convertible, 2017 Camaro 50th Anniversary Convertible and I am looking forward to my first Corvette C8, just in time for my 50th.

Comment

Originally posted by Garabaldi View Post
              Also simply searching for "debadge car" in youtube search bar shows quite a few videos all using a similar technic. Is debadging very common on corvettes or just a personal preference for some owners? I think I like it either way - I never thought about removing them but will be thinking about maybe doing it.
              I'd say personal preference, and not just on Corvettes.
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
              Working...
              X