MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe/HTC Build & Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
GM’s C8 Info Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 1/17 Changes: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
2 of 2 < >

MECF TEMPORARY MAINTENANCE SHUT DOWN

STARTING 4:00 PM (PST), Monday, January 6th: Heads Up Please of Scheduled Maintenance!!!! Unlike past notices when our software company said MECF would be shut down less than one hour, they have said that our forum COULD have a two hour shut down. Thank you very much for your understanding.
See more
See less

Front License Plate Bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front License Plate Bracket

Though I live in a state requiring it, I think most Chevy dealers know not to actually put the bracket on.... at least not without asking. Since my dealer is small, I plan to have that discussion well in advance.

Does anyone (where required) plan to run a front plate? I've only been ticketed for that 3 times in the past 15 years, and I'm sure they just wanted to see the car.

I'm open to a James Bond disappearing plate mod :-)
    Shadow Gray Metallic.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60

I haven't run a front plate (in Northern Virginia) for about 2 years, except for a couple of specific occasions. Haven't been ticketed, or even pulled over, yet. But in NoVA, there are a lot of cars from out of state, so seeing cars without front plates isn't unusual.

But to make it easy to install or remove when needed, I install a Sto'n'Show license plate bracket. If I get pulled over, I'll say "Oh my, officer, I'm sorry." I was at a car show and forgot to put it back on when I left. Can I do that right now? (I keep it in the trunk.) With a little luck, I can get away with just a warning.

Assuming Sto'n'Show makes one for the C8, I'll do the same.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I have already provided some info to Mike @ Sto-n-Show, and he is planning on making one. However, the C8 has a pretty decent option for front LP staters.

This is what I learned from Kirk Bennion at the HTC reveal, for that was one of my priority questions. Just use a plastic pry and remove the existing 6”x12”black center grille covering (which says “Corvette”), and then the plate mounts with standard LP screws. He said it was recessed from the front surround about 1/2” on the bottom, about 1 1/4” recessed on the top of the plate (so it is perfectly vertical inside that recess).
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        I have already provided some info to Mike @ Sto-n-Show, and he is planning on making one. However, the C8 has a pretty decent option for front LP staters.

This is what I learned from Kirk Bennion at the HTC reveal, for that was one of my priority questions. Just use a plastic pry and remove the existing 6”x12”black center grille covering (which says “Corvette”), and then the plate mounts with standard LP screws. He said it was recessed from the front surround about 1/2” on the bottom, about 1 1/4” recessed on the top of the plate (so it is perfectly vertical inside that recess).
        But when the plate is inserted, can you then reinstall the cover to hide it except when needed? If so, that would be ideal.
        Last edited by meyerweb; 10-10-2019, 01:09 PM.
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Oh, I like your thinking, and while I did not ask that question, that could well be. Would that not be terrific, just snap the OEM cover on top of the plate for a show, and for those who wish (or fear a ticket), take that cover off until the next show. Clever thinking meyerweb!

Here is a picture familiar to all at the NCM 25th.

Click image for larger version  Name:	41946DE1-9D64-471C-8CD5-4F0F76D1AAFB.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	380.0 KB ID:	80660
          Last edited by John; 10-10-2019, 01:24 PM.
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by Wags View Post
            Does anyone (where required) plan to run a front plate? I've only been ticketed for that 3 times in the past 15 years, and I'm sure they just wanted to see the car.
            I too live in a state that requires a front license plate but I will not be running one.

According to some local enthusiasts it's not really an issue in town. I'm willing to be stubborn for the first two infractions but the 3rd fix-it ticket will probably get my compliance.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure how it mounts, i.e. would they be drilling holes somewhere, and how other dealers typically handle it. Sounds like it may not be a big concern. Will be followin' any Stow-n-Show developments. Thanks
              Shadow Gray Metallic.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60

Comment

I’ve run a front plate for so long on so many vehicles I don’t even pay attention. I just put it on and drive.
                There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                79 coupe Silver/oyster
                All one owner
                Museum lifetime members

Comment

I too have run a front plate on the street for years, but if meyerweb’ s suggestion of the plate being able to remain in plate under the OEM cover, that would be a fantastic “show and street” 10 second conversion system. I always carry a small plastic pry tool in my detail bag anyway. Here’s to hoping!!!

One thing about the Sho-n-Sto system, is that it lowered ground clearance on my C7 Z06 1/2”, so might the meyerweb hoped for program be best overall?

Comment

Originally posted by Plasboy View Post
                    I’ve run a front plate for so long on so many vehicles I don’t even pay attention. I just put it on and drive.
                    I made it for a week with my new 2014 C7 without a front plate before I was pulled over and issued a warning. Have never put a front plate on my 2014 XTSvsport and have not been stopped.

I'm thinking these conspicuous Corvettes attract enough attention for LEOs to notice the lack of a plate. Plan to put the front plate on my C8 as soon as I get the car.

Comment

With that C8 which was involved in the first accident, we can get a glimpse of what's behind the front cover. It partially popped off so you can see how it's attached and the depth of the recess behind it (not much).

Click image for larger version  Name:	CorvetteC8-FirstCrash-03-Medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	81525

Edit: Assuming it would fit, I wonder if some aftermarket company could make a replacement cover panel which fits in the space properly but is transparent or very lightly tinted? In Ontario technically we aren't allowed to have plate covers but I always use a front one to keep the plate from getting ugly with rock chips etc.
                      Last edited by Klinn; 10-13-2019, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Ill put my front plate on in that lower location behind that cover..

i wont put the cover back on becaise usually that front plate ticket can be given while the car is parked...

ill put the cover on when Im in the mood maybe. I too have been using lower front plate locations on all my corvettes.

the police dont really care if the plate is a few inches lower than where the regulation state it must be which is 12 inches at the lowest point.

having run front plates low it never bothers me from a looks standpoint...

better not to give the police a reason to pull you over unless its a weekend play thing.

The official mount high on corvettes at the legal height is horrible and that I would not do.

tell your dealer to not drill or mount the $15 high mount license plate holder ..throw that thing in the garbage.

that ruins the looks of the car...IMhO..

removing that small panel and mounting the plate there is the better solution...

Last edited by JB; 10-13-2019, 10:46 AM.
                        Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Hard to be sure from that pic, but it doesn't look like there's enough room to put a plate in there and then put the cover back over it, unfortunately.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                          >35,000+ miles

Comment

I like Klinns suggestion of an aftermarket clear cover that would replace the stock one that would fit in the space over the plate.
                            Torch Red C8 Spider

Comment

Originally posted by Sparro View Post
                              I like Klinns suggestion of an aftermarket clear cover that would replace the stock one that would fit in the space over the plate.
                              If it's possible to make one fit, the aftermarket will make it. The C8 solution is very similar to the :C5's, and there are clear covers available for that car.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                              >35,000+ miles

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X