Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #129 - Corvette News and Headlines, Early October 2022

Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger team up once again to bring you the most current and up-to-date information on Corvette. It’s the CORVETTE TODAY News & Headlines show to start off October! https://youtu.be/NG7JwFGJf04; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...lUqQwp7DeopRJV
Here are some of the topics Steve and Keith will cover next week....
—The Bowling Green Assembly Plant ran a rare “2 shift Saturday” last weekend
--C8 Z06 embargo on driving impression ended last week
--Corvette’s average sale price is almost 20% over MRSP
--The 1st customer ordered Z06 was built last week
--Is Ford benchmarking the C8 Z06?
--Road & Track magazine is now testing the C8 Z06
--Detroit News readers name the C8 Corvette “Best in Show” at Detroit Auto Show
--The new “Driven By Design” exhibit opens at the NCM
CORVETTE TODAY is the only current podcast on Corvette! And our News & Headlines show continues to be your best source of Corvette news in the industry.
Visit the CORVETTE TODAY website, listen to the show, watch the YouTube video, shop in the Merchandise Store, sign up for weekly emails and join the Facebook Group at:
www.CorvetteToday.com
2 of 3 < >

Z06 Auto-Media Testing Results & Impressions

This is our one thread: Thanks for putting all your posts within it: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...eviews-results
3 of 3 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Open ended lug nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Top Off Action View Post
    I’ve found some good quality titanium (Grade 5) lug nuts. They are open ended. Weigh 28 grams vs OEM 90. 180 bucks with shipping if you go with raw titanium.

Multiply that with 20 and understand this is unsprung weight, the cost/benefit is very reasonable.

However, back in the days one would maybe not get the open ended lug nuts due to corrosion (rust) of the wheel studs.

Is this still an issue?

I guess what I am asking, do wheel studs rust on the C8 over time? I am not sure what conposite of metals those are made of?

One should not lubricate studs, but can one put a dab of WD-40 on tge studs after the lug nuts are mounted to provide insurance against corrosion.

I livebin Florida, so no salt on the roads. I drive it occasionally in the rain, though. So maybe I should not be worried in the first place?
    IMHO
    The weight of the lugs is actually part of the wheel hub the reduced weight is not the same as removing it from the rim or outer wheel. Not the same. Still is only 10 oz per wheel hub. The big weight savings lies in the rim of the wheel rotating weight. The whole wheel is the much bigger savings. Then 41 pounds ilighter than what? A rotary forged or a real forged mono block wheel since many call rotary forged forged wheels they are not the same either.
    Plus IMO they are ugly. If you are running cast stock wheels i would use the money as more discount on real mono blocks that weight 21 pounds front
    and 24 pounds rear. The weight of the stock wheels are more like 26 and 31 with the saving from the outer rim. Very improved feeling .
    You will never feel the difference from the lug nuts
    Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-22-2022, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post
      IMHO
      The weight of the lugs is actually part of the wheel hub the reduced weight is not the same as removing it from the rim or outer wheel. Not the same. Still is only 10 oz per wheel hub. The big weight savings lies in the rim of the wheel rotating weight. The whole wheel is the much bigger savings. Then 41 pounds ilighter than what? A rotary forged or a real forged mono block wheel since many call rotary forged forged wheels they are not the same either.
      Plus IMO they are ugly. If you are running cast stock wheels i would use the money as more discount on real mono blocks that weight 21 pounds front
      and 24 pounds rear. The weight of the stock wheels are more like 26 and 31 with the saving from the outer rim. Very improved feeling .
      You will never feel the difference from the lug nuts
      Weight savings is largely about the total weight savings that will be noticable. Rarely each weight saving will be noticable.

I am not sure which rims you refer to as being “ugly”. Visual aspects are subjective and so is not really a topic worth a discussion.

The topic is mainly about cost effective weight cutting. Unless one simply just leaves parts of the vehicle behind, weight saving is very rarely cheap.

So bang for the buck this seems rather cost effective as forged rims are at least 3K with shipping.
      Last edited by Top Off Action; 09-22-2022, 04:17 PM.
      Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

The thing about weight savings is that it is the combination of all tye weight savings that will ultimately get where you want (just like weight savings body-wise).
        This very true.; it adds up if you're diligent. When I was drag racing, the guys that worked hard to find a couple pounds here and there, ended up with cars lighter than the rest. They were .1 or .2 quicker in the 1/4 mile compared to guys with similar engine mods.
        2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Member, Old Dominion Corvette Club https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Weight savings is largely about the total weight savings that will be noticable. Rarely each weight saving will be noticable.

I am not sure which rims you refer to as being “ugly”. Visual aspects are subjective and so is not really a topic worth a discussion.

The topic is mainly about cost effective weight cutting. Unless one simply just leaves parts of the vehicle behind, weight saving is very rarely cheap.

So bang for the buck this seems rather cost effective as forged rims are at least 3K with shipping.
          I love weight savings so much I weigh the parts coming off then weigh what is going back on. Plus I have a set of accurate car scales. Goes way back to my days of building motorcycles that were high horse power with light weight. So I have experienced the results and practice it. I'm the guy some one posted who cut pounds weight on his car and was always a little faster. I too drive around with a half tank of gas. I know my car is around 3340 pounds with the half tank.
          Racing is power to weight. Cutting weight is like gaining power. Tires have more effective grip pushing less weight. You are correct weight saving is rarely cheap. Effective weight cutting for 180 dollars just is not happening. It takes more money to cut weight to make a difference. Spending for a good forged wheel is effective weight cutting. I was referring to open lug nuts not for me on a nice looking wheel.
          Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-23-2022, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post

I love weight savings so much I weigh the parts coming off then weigh what is going back on. Plus I have a set of accurate car scales. Goes way back to my days of building motorcycles that were high horse power with light weight. So I have experienced the results and practice it. I'm the guy some one posted who cut pounds weight on his car and was always a little faster. I too drive around with a half tank of gas. I know my car is around 3340 pounds with the half tank.
            Racing is power to weight. Cutting weight is like gaining power. Tires have more effective grip pushing less weight. You are correct weight saving is rarely cheap. Effective weight cutting for 180 dollars just is not happening. It takes more money to cut weight to make a difference. Spending for a good forged wheel is effective weight cutting. I was referring to open lug nuts not for me on a nice looking wheel.
            I am thinking about forged and drilled wheels. A 19x9 19x11.5 set-up. Then more sidewall on the tire on the back. Using the titanium lug nuts I will have a very light set-up. Quite close to OEM carbon fiber wheel set-up in terms of weight. It will total 3K.
            Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
              With the lugs nuts being even further outboard than the wheels for while I have not seen it recently, there is a formula that credit the further a weight reduction is from the centerline of the vehicle, the more benefit it has.
              Never heard of that one. Just the one that says wheel weight reduction further from the hub. Example the lighter rim is worth more than the lighter hub was far as the rotational weight.
              The lighter wheel is as big for the shocks with less weight to control as well as less rotational weight.

Comment

We remember when Indy cars pioneered in-board shocks. Reasoning was that the weight was closer to the centerline and therefore would reduce the amount of cornering roll.
                2023 Z06: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, PBC, E60, and with every visible carbon fiber option including wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  You are on top of lots of issues. Good for you. Your statement that there are many ways to reduce a car’s weight weight is spot on. Run flats are an especially good one for those whose journeys are mostly local.
                  The runflats are to me needed since we don't have a spare. Then the non runflat is destroyed before you get off the road and also maybe the wheel too. Plus the standard Michelin runflat the MPSS is one hell of a tire. Better than anything else offered to date by Michelin. Can't do cups for the street too dangerous for me. I run 80 mph everytime on the highway the outdated speed limits 65/55 in Oregon are from 1955 too slow they can keep it not not any safer either and they clog the highways. Even Oregon State Troopers don't move unless your over 80 mph many have stopped checking speed and now read plates for violators.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X