Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only mod I would like, if I could get it, would be to have Tadge sign the dashboard with a fat black marker

Comment

The cost to replace a C7’s LT1, including install, at a Chevy dealer was $18,000 (saw the invoice was posted on the internet; it thankfully was 100% warranty covered); the cost to replace the LT4 was $30,000 (same circumstances). We have not seen the cost for a LT5 replacement.

I leave any mods of the motor to others. Let us also remember that during the C7’s realm, GM greatly tightened down the circumstances of warranty approval. No longer can a Service Manager alone approve a major warranty repair; instead it now must go to the “Regional Warranty Approval Supervisor” (RWAS) for review/approval.

If it is something small needing repair and the dealership believes100% legit, the SA can approve it. But if a moderate cost or an unexpected it, it started to go to the RWAS. I learned this personally when my alternator at just three weeks old, even though tests showed it functioned to 100% standards, started to grow deposits on its exterior surface and turn brown. My SM (a great guy) took a picture of it, sent it and the test results to the RWAS, who within minutes approved replacing it under warranty.

As repairs get more expensive and more “suspect,” especially if they were related to a major motor or other components (perhaps a destroyed diff), here’s is what now required to happen.

The servicing dealership pulls from the ECU via the port, two pieces of info:

1) how many times has the ECU been re-flashed?
      2) what was the maximum power developed at any time?

If your powertrain showed 750 HP developed on a Z06, they would know that you have done something to mod that LT4 or its “contributing systems.” And/or if GM had authorized a ECU update twice, but that C7’s ECU shows it had been reflashed five times, “sorry Charlie, for no mod approval for your warranty claim.”

Why did they implement those two steps? Go to the other forum and see how many bragged that they modded their motor with “x”, but before returning to the dealership for a warranty repair, removed that device. Or how about a dealership owner whose friend drag races his C7 every weekend, has already blown his motor twice? Heretofore, the owner, who is a golfing buddy of the drag racer, oh and let’s add that the racer owns a construction company and buys 3 or more pickups from him every year, would “wink, wink” look the other way for major warranty repairs.

GM clamped down during the C7 era for those two reasons, and hence why there was somewhere around 2016 or 2017, GM implemented the new requirements for a “Regional Warranty Approval Supervisor” to review those two above, numbered items before a new tranny, motor, eLSD, and much more were warranty authorized.

Some do not car about keeping their warranty; good for those who openly and honestly know that after they added nitrous (etc), they take onto their shoulders that from then on all replayed repairs were on them.

Others care about keeping our warranties intact.

Nice that we all get to choose. Might GM further clamp down on requiring additional dealership info to be provided to the RWAS before a warranty claim were approved?
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

I'm not planning any mods other than minor cosmetic (maybe new front spoiler or side skirts) and paint protection, and weathertech floor mats. I've learned my lesson and I'm not going to do any engine, or transmission mods. Different wheels are a maybe, and I'll probably lower it a scratch depending on how they come from the factory and get an alignment/corner balance done.

Comment

Very close to our plan but we will keep the Spectra Gray Trident wheels.

Comment

I am very happy with my build, finally deciding on colors and options. The only thing lacking is body colored transparent roof surround. Maybe I'll have to find Shadow Grey Mettallic vinyl, or paint the edges, or simply change body color to black which I know I'll regret in this dusty South West desert.
            John/GBA, I know you're gonna love your black, stealth fighter jet.
            It's 'gonna be so nice to finally enjoy a new car and NOT have to emmediatly begin modifying it. Thanks Chevy !
            C8er

Comment

I can’t keep anything stock... will be more of a waiting game after I actually get the car for mods to start being tested/reviewed. I have connections with a few aftermarket manufacturers and might be able to play the test mule for a couple things (primarily exhaust and lowering springs).

Because I have a good feeling I’ll be updating to the Z06/whatever at some point, I’ll probably be staying away from major engine mods even though I realllllly would love to slap a PD SC on top of the LT2.

Initially, on my 2LT CM Grey/Red I’ll just be doing:

*Carbon flash wrapped upper canopy
              *Full paint protection
              *25% Ceramic Tint all around
              *Custom dark bronze 20”/21” Vossen wheels
              *Conservative lowering springs (3/4”-1”) - will have E60/no Z51
              *Custom center-exit exhaust and modified rear valance
              *Front lip spoiler from Z51 package or similar

These should keep me busy during the first year or so of ownership.

BZ

Comment

I will live with the car for a bit, see if anything comes to mind. I prefer stock, but on thinking back, I always did some little thing. My '67 and '68 Mustangs got Shelby (Nardi) wooden steering wheels. I do miss a lovely wood steering wheel - wish I could still do them.
                C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Comment

Originally posted by john View Post
                  the cost to replace a c7’s lt1, including install, at a chevy dealer was $18,000 (saw the invoice was posted on the internet; it thankfully was 100% warranty covered); the cost to replace the lt4 was $30,000 (same circumstances). We have not seen the cost for a lt5 replacement.

I leave any mods of the motor to others. Let us also remember that during the c7’s realm, gm greatly tightened down the circumstances of warranty approval. No longer can a service manager alone approve a major warranty repair; instead it now must go to the “regional warranty approval supervisor” (rwas) for review/approval.

If it is something small needing repair and the dealership believes100% legit, the sa can approve it. But if a moderate cost or an unexpected it, it started to go to the rwas. I learned this personally when my alternator at just three weeks old, even though tests showed it functioned to 100% standards, started to grow deposits on its exterior surface and turn brown. My sm (a great guy) took a picture of it, sent it and the test results to the rwas, who within minutes approved replacing it under warranty.

As repairs get more expensive and more “suspect,” especially if they were related to a major motor or other components (perhaps a destroyed diff), here’s is what now required to happen.

The servicing dealership pulls from the ecu via the port, two pieces of info:

1) how many times has the ecu been re-flashed?
                  2) what was the maximum power developed at any time?

If your powertrain showed 750 hp developed on a z06, they would know that you have done something to mod that lt4 or its “contributing systems.” and/or if gm had authorized a ecu update twice, but that c7’s ecu shows it had been reflashed five times, “sorry charlie, for no mod approval for your warranty claim.”

why did they implement those two steps? Go to the other forum and see how many bragged that they modded their motor with “x”, but before returning to the dealership for a warranty repair, removed that device. Or how about a dealership owner whose friend drag races his c7 every weekend, has already blown his motor twice? Heretofore, the owner, who is a golfing buddy of the drag racer, oh and let’s add that the racer owns a construction company and buys 3 or more pickups from him every year, would “wink, wink” look the other way for major warranty repairs.

Gm clamped down during the c7 era for those two reasons, and hence why there was somewhere around 2016 or 2017, gm implemented the new requirements for a “regional warranty approval supervisor” to review those two above, numbered items before a new tranny, motor, elsd, and much more were warranty authorized.

Some do not car about keeping their warranty; good for those who openly and honestly know that after they added nitrous (etc), they take onto their shoulders that from then on all replayed repairs were on them.

Others care about keeping our warranties intact.

Nice that we all get to choose. Might gm further clamp down on requiring additional dealership info to be provided to the rwas before a warranty claim were approved?
                  this should be a sticky!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	silver.htc.blackedout.jpg Views:	0 Size:	689.7 KB ID:	89086I will start by murdering my blade silver htc.
                    I will order it without the blacked out roof but will wrap it in carbon fiber or carbon flash, that way I will always have the option of going back to all silver for myself and anyone I sell it to. I will attempt to do the wrap myself. A lot easier than PPF probably since dont have to worry too much about tiny hairs or whatever being under there... i.e. I won't need a clean room.
                    Will sc or turbo depending on how long it will take for the z06.. at some point in the next year I think the delivery date on that will begin to come into focus. If the zo6 will be a 2021 (doubtful) or 2022 then I wont bother modding the engine.
                    I have really loved 100% xpel coverage with my c7 the past 3 years so I would do that if the z06 will take more than a couple years. At minimum I will get a front half wrap.
                    Carbon fiber wheels if available, though carbon revolution is only doing OEM fitments now, they told me last week... hopefully they hook up with the corvette team soon.
                    Alignment for autocross. I will do that myself.
                    Maybe front end / splitter protector, since I won't get the front lift due to not being able to corner balance.
                    An aftermarket forward collision warning sensor. Very surprised every 30k RAV4 gets adaptive cruise and forward collision standard, but not even an option on a 90k corvette. I would understand if this option weighed a lot, but I have a hard time understanding why it would weight more than a pound.. probably just ounces. GM touts supercruise as leading the way into the future, but their flagship technology car does not even have a whiff of it? Allll.. righty then. Maybe it will be something soon added, like the front cameras... i say likely.
                    And the easiest biggest bang for the buck mod.. front emblem delete.. love the sleek look without the emblem that some of the proto cars had.
                    Last edited by z8ra; 11-10-2019, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I take it that Carbon Flash wrap is available on the after market? This is my first GM car and I assumed that the color was proprietary...

Comment

3M has a wrap that is oh so close to GM’s carbon fiber. Since there are literally 10,000+ wrap materials, my guess is that someone has one that mimics carbon flash excellently. I will inquire when I meet with my PPF installer next week, as he does tons of wraps too. However, your question may well be long answered here before then.
                        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

I only did a couple of cosmetic modes to my Z51 C7. Different grill, added side skirts, had a more aggressive front spoiler for a while but removed it when I finally cracked it on a driveway.

On my C8 I'm going to do that carbon flash roof wrap to make my coupe look like the convertible (and McLaren-ish). It already looks so rad I can't imagine wanting to change anything else, other than maybe the spoiler down the road, but I doubt I will.
                          Last edited by VicH; 12-03-2019, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I stopped the modding stuff two cars ago...for some reason I did far better financially when I sold the last two. Hmmmmm.

Only thing I'd like to see from the aftermarket would be some engine bay, engine dress up mods.
                            The factory faux CF panels for a grand are silly expensive in my opinion so I passed on them.

We definitely need some better wheel options too.

Xpel not a mod , but an addition for sure. Otherwise mine will be pure stock.

Comment

I have been a modded, including my DD’s, for years. Average 30-40 per car (including protective stuff). I agree totally with FN in MT, that financially it is a losing proposition, probably resulting in a $0.01 return for every $1.00 spent. Nevertheless, certain mods make me happy, my individualizing my car. I will do much fewer mods on my 2020 Stingray, starting with clear bra PPF, window tinting, and CQuartz to start. Some fine-line, tasteful pin stripping for the splitter, rockers and rear diffuser is also happening. And hopefully if something comes up that is protective such as attractive screening intakes for the side scoops or front grills to protect the radiators and similar, I will hop on them asap. A few more LEDs for the engine compartment also comes to mind. And who knows what else.

Here’s my earlier thread, and as always, everything is subject to change and additions (as often as perhaps a daily basis)

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ds-for-wrp-spd

Comment

I normally do mods for HP, typically after 6 months to make sure the drivetrain does not grenade right away. I'm not concerned about the LT2 being reliable, even with a large cam or stage 1 forced induction kits. It takes an extremely rare failure to completely destroy a NA motor. I know the risk I'm taking when modding and if I mess up the engine, I, not GM, will pay for it.

After the first few months, the warranty value to me is really about electronics, sensors, and things that can fail intermittently that are hard to diagnose. The warranty for those items is generally not effected by modding the motor.

For the C8, I am watching the DCT/rear axel combination reliability. This is brand new territory for GM. I don't want to void that warranty on the DCT until the 2020s have seen some real abuse on the street and at the track. Figure it will be a year or so before I'm ready to that; not to mention mods need to be developed and the ECU cracked.

I'm also wondering about the HP/$ value proposition for this car. The simple bolt-ons are yielding less on each new LS motor. I'm not interested in spending $5k - $10k for a FI package and install as an additional 50 HP would be my target. That should be enough for the Z51 to run 125+ mph in the 1/4 mile, given the car is advertised to do 122 mph.
                                Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.
                                C8 convertible coming this summer.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X