Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #109 - Corvette News & Headlines, Mid-May 2022

Join your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com and they discuss what’s happening with America’s Sports Car. https://youtu.be/LY-bD8tscBs; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...HXCQFbRpXxWPtK
1. Hard Top Convertibles now account for 48% of Corvette orders
2. Here are the most popular Corvette colors of 2022
3. 70th anniversary models delayed because of wheel constraints
4. Export versions of the C8 Z06 with corner mounted exhaust will be exported
5. The 2023 Stingray/Z06 Owner’s Manual available for download
6. The 2023 C8 Z06 is the official Pace Car for the Indianapolis 500
7. Corvette Racing’s drivers take a C8 Stingray on the track at Spring Mountain
8. Corvette Hall Of Fame inductees announced
9. Corvette is the AutoCar 2022 Dream Car of the Year

CORVETTE TODAY is the best way to stay current on what’s happening with Corvette! Don’t miss this episode…..

LISTEN TO THE PODCAST, WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO, SIGN UP FOR EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS AND JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP AT:

www.CorvetteTodayPodcast.com
2 of 2 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

VISIBILE HTC Motor Mod Thanks To Willy Chu and Race Ready Panels

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they warranty it against heat, and also cover the HTC and liner, I would be interested. Of if they sell many of them, and there are no issues after a year or two, then I would consider. But you know GM put that heatshield blanket under the stock cover for a reason.
    Delivered 6/30/21: The Red Demon 2021 3LT Red Mist HTC.
    Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
    AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

As a retired tolling & plastics engineer, I would want to see some very thorough test results, especially in some of the hotter climates.

Polycarbonate has a tg (glass transition temperature) of 147c or 297f where it starts to soften gradually above it's tg and starts to flow at about 155c or 311f

I saw on another forum where they were claiming the manufacture of these said clear PC covers were rated to 500f. I would like to understand how they are rating a PC to 500f when that is significantly above the glass transition temperature of this polymer. FYI, the working temperature of PC is from -40f to 266f so no problems on the lower end but the upper end spec?, I bet those Cats and Pipes are generating some extreme temps, hence why the GM engineers designed in the heat shielding.

My $.02 cents for what it's worth!

Cheers,

-Gaz

Comment

Good questions. Thanks Gaz.
        Z07 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available including the wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Even if the polycarbonate stands up just fine to the temps, the headliner on the folded top may not over time. That polycarbonate, without insulation, is going to radiate more heat directly onto the headliner, whereas the OEM cover has insulation exactly corresponding to where the headliner rests when folded.

One potential remedy for that concern would be to utilize an insulation blanket attached on top of the clear cover which can be removed for show.

Comment

One other thought: I had the engine cover off recently, and was surprised at how dirty it was underneath. I think the engine bay of the HTC gets dirtier, faster, than in the coupe for whatever reason. With the plastic cover, you're going to be wanting to remove that cover (18 fasteners) and clean the engine bay regularly. The magnetic attachment mods looks even more attractive with this cover.

Even if heat turns out not to be an issue, dirt will be. A while back, American Hydrocarbon (IIRC) showed a short video of what appeared to be some sort of quick release system for the engine cover, but nothing recently.
            Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I guess I'm over the "clean engine syndrome" after owning a Porsche 718S Cayman for several years. There isn't anything to see from the top, cover or no cover, and the only way to see the engine is by dropping it out of the car from the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                One other thought: I had the engine cover off recently, and was surprised at how dirty it was underneath. I think the engine bay of the HTC gets dirtier, faster, than in the coupe for whatever reason..
                I found the opposite. Maybe based on miles driven? Your car is only 1.5 months older than mine. I have 5,500 miles. I know you drive your C8 more than I do mine, and you've taken road trips right? Or VA is dirtier than MD? LOL 😂😁. When I took my cover off for the first time to do this last month, my engine bay was like super clean. I was truly surprised. The only way for air to enter is the side cooling ducts. The coupe also has venting from the top.

Weird we had the opposite experience.

Delivered 6/30/21: The Red Demon 2021 3LT Red Mist HTC.
                Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
                AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

Originally posted by BuyPeaksSellDips View Post

I found the opposite. Maybe based on miles driven? Your car is only 1.5 months older than mine. I have 5,500 miles. I know you drive your C8 more than I do mine, and you've taken road trips right? Or VA is dirtier than MD? LOL 😂😁. When I took my cover off for the first time to do this last month, my engine bay was like super clean. I was truly surprised. The only way for air to enter is the side cooling ducts. The coupe also has venting from the top.

Weird we had the opposite experience.
                  I suppose it might have to do with the conditions we drive in. I've put a lot of rainy miles on mine, which may have contributed. And maybe that off-roading in West Virginia.... (Just kidding!)
                  Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                    One other thought: I had the engine cover off recently, and was surprised at how dirty it was underneath. I think the engine bay of the HTC gets dirtier, faster, than in the coupe for whatever reason. With the plastic cover, you're going to be wanting to remove that cover (18 fasteners) and clean the engine bay regularly. The magnetic attachment mods looks even more attractive with this cover.

Even if heat turns out not to be an issue, dirt will be. A while back, American Hydrocarbon (IIRC) showed a short video of what appeared to be some sort of quick release system for the engine cover, but nothing recently.
                    Yep, that's my thought too. Get the clear cover but put both the OEM and clear covers on magnets and only use the clear one when you are going to a show. The rest of the time keep the OEM cover in place. --Bob
                    2016 Z06 Long Beach Red #10281 "POPS Z"
                    -Kalahari, 2LZ, Auto, chrome wheels
                    1995 ZR-1 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN" --Haibeck 350/510hp package, Sold but still running strong
                    1993 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING" --Sold but still running strong
                    1967 Corvette Coupe --Marlboro Maroon/Saddle 300 HP 4 Speed, Sold in 1977
                    ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
                    Member of Original ZR-1 Registry
                    NCM Lifetime Member
                    Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
                    "Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Comment

• And people complain about cleaning the engine bay on the coupe? The Htc engine bay is a whole different level of Pain to keep clean. Its not worth it IMO.
                      Born Feb 26, 2020! GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, Jet black/suede interior; Yellow stitching and belts. Z51 & Mag Ride; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6E yellow Calipers;

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X