Review - ZL1 Addons Mag Assist Wheel mounting system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review - ZL1 Addons Mag Assist Wheel mounting system

I’ve used the Reverse Logic lug extensions / wheel hangers to ease removing and installing the large, heavy Corvette wheel assemblies since I got a second set of wheels and A/S tires for my C7. As anyone who has used them knows, they make it a lot easier to mount the wheels without worrying about slamming your calipers or rotors.

Unfortunately, they won’t work with most aftermarket wheels that come with smaller diameter holes for "tuner lug nuts." Sigh.

So, since I’ve fallen behind on my weight lifting, I looked for other options to make mounting the wheels easier and safer. Thanks to forum member fastcar321 I found the “MagAssist” system from ZL1 Addons. They have been available from forum vendor Wildhammer, but I didn’t see them there the last time I looked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	magassist1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	332586

Name:	masassist2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	332587

The theory is great. You insert the aluminum cylinder in the wheel hub, slide the center bore of the wheel over the cylinder, spin the wheel to line up the lugs & holes, and Bob’s Your Uncle.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-21 8.24.34 PM.png
Views:	140
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	332588

And for the rear wheels, the practice is as good as the theory. The cylinder threads onto the stub axle in the hub giving you a rock solid post to hang the wheel on. The parking brake keeps the hub from rotating as you spin the wheel. It’s actually much easier than using a set of lug extensions, because you only need to line up one hole with one post while lifting the wheel, rather than 2 or 3.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-21 8.25.18 PM.png
Views:	141
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	332589

In front, though, things aren’t so simple. There is no stub axle to thread the post onto. Instead, you get a pair of aluminum rings that fit inside the front hub, and “attach” with 3 set screws that expand outward and press against the inside diameter of the hub bore. You then insert the cylinder into this ring.

Name:	magassist 4.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	332590

Seems workable, except that the manufacturing tolerances are c**p. The outer diameter of the rings is significantly smaller than the hub bore. And the cone on the back of the ring doesn’t match the cone inside the bore. As a result, the rings wobble like crazy as you try to tighten the set screws. (Their video shows tapping the ring into the hub with a hammer. On my set, at least, the fit is so loose you could whack them with a sledgehammer and it wouldn’t matter.) The fit isn’t nearly as snug as they show in the video. The also make these for the Camaro, and I wonder if they just used the same rings, even though the hub is different.

Even worse than the wobble, which just makes installation a pain, once you’ve got them installed those 3 tiny set screws are all that’s supporting the entire weight of the wheel assembly cantilevered on that cylinder. On one side, I could not get them tight enough with just the included Allen wrench (which is SAE sized, not metric, by the way), and when I tried to mount the wheel the entire ring shifted. I had to put an extension over the end of the Allen wrench to get enough torque to hold the ring in place. I’m not at all confident these will hold over time, with multiple hot / cold cycles, vibration, etc. If the ring shifts when you go to take the wheel off, it’s not very helpful.

And speaking of tolerances, the aluminum cylinder is a really sloppy fit inside the ring, too. Maybe it has to be so things will still fit if it’s 90F or hotter, but it didn’t give me warm fuzzies with temps in the 50s.

Finally, when you try to spin the wheel to line up the holes with the lugs, the entire hub assembly spins, too, which makes lining things up challenging. I guess you need a second person to press the brake pedal while you line them up.

One final annoyance: to use these to remove the wheels, you first have to pry off the center caps. Not a huge issue, but a bit of a pain.

A for concept, A for the rear wheels, C (so far) for the front. I’m not confident about that C long term, though.
    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Thanks meyerweb for that helpful information for the rears. As to the fronts, your cautions are good to note.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Had same issues with fronts initially - turned out I rcvd the wrong front inserts with my order - ZL1 gladly sent the correct inserts and (no charge) and no problem since!

Comment

Originally posted by fastcar321 View Post
        Had same issues with fronts initially - turned out I rcvd the wrong front inserts with my order - ZL1 gladly sent the correct inserts and (no charge) and no problem since!
        Thanks. I just emailed them. We'll see what happens. That it appears they send the wrong items to both of us doesn't say a lot for their quality control.
        Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

suggest you take up weight lifting again mate (sorry, couldn't resist 😀)

Comment

Thanks meyerweb for pointing these out. I bought the Reverse Logic but gave them to a buddy after I bought my aftermarket rims. The question now is whether the ZL1 will work on the Z06 hubs.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
            Working...
            X