DIY: External Battery Charger Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY: External Battery Charger Port

Grew tired of accessing the factory charging port in the frunk so I tackled mounting an external one whereas I no longer have to access the frunk to connect my charger. I hand crafted a sheet metal bracket to fit a CTEK Comfort Indicator Panel that mounts and is secured below the front fascia brow using the factory 7 mm screws holding the brow. After removing the frunk’s internal panels (Note: Add a drop of white lithium grease to each panel clip prior to reinstalling and it makes future removals much easier) and my lower, passenger side grille guard, I cut the lead wire in half to the CTEK to enable feeding it up through a pre-existing hole in the right side in front of the cooling exchanger using a wire fishIng tool. After successfully routing it around the frunk I shortened the wire I had previously cut in half and spliced it back together. Connected to battery. Reinserted frunk panels. Trimmed grill guard to fit around CTEK Panel. Replaced 3M tape on grill guard and reinstalled. Connected to my Corvette charger utilizing a CTEK Comfort Connect cig-socket & works great! Indicator Panel is virtually impossible to see and has a slow steady blinking light indicating battery status that I like, as it confuses some to believing it maybe an active alarm. One could always paint over them or cover with tape. Click image for larger version  Name:	B6041F23-4212-409D-9DD3-226A9CC72E21.jpeg Views:	19 Size:	2.83 MB ID:	291473 Click image for larger version  Name:	8F5F0386-86FE-46A5-BF78-65D96AC0A652.jpeg Views:	15 Size:	3.00 MB ID:	291474 Click image for larger version  Name:	96034CF0-F4E9-4B83-997D-FF20CA4BBC71.jpeg Views:	14 Size:	3.79 MB ID:	291475 Click image for larger version  Name:	348C6858-D98B-43B3-85A9-724CD0CF1FD2.jpeg Views:	14 Size:	4.48 MB ID:	291476 😉

Attached Files

Very nicely done.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Very cool enhancement F15Texas! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Very clever looks like it came that way.

Comment

Well done. I personally prefer not only to plug in under the hood, but to leave the hood up, or at least unlatched, to ensure there is NO possibility I'm going to forget to disconnect it and try to drive away.
          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
            Well done. I personally prefer not only to plug in under the hood, but to leave the hood up, or at least unlatched, to ensure there is NO possibility I'm going to forget to disconnect it and try to drive away.
            I do the same, and for the same reason.
            My C8:
            '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
            '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
            '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
            '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by F15Texas View Post
              Grew tired of accessing the factory charging port in the frunk so I tackled mounting an external one whereas I no longer have to access the frunk to connect my charger.
              Looks good, but I do worry about water getting into the plug and electronics (i.e., driving at 60 MPH in rain).
              My C8:
              '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
              '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
              '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
              '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

The panel has a rubber cap on a short lead to cover the male contacts when not charging. The male contacts are each recessed where there should be no possibility of electronic issues due to moisture. Many motorcycles use a similar setup and I’m unaware of any issues. Besides, who drives in the rain? Just kidding! I’ll be the first to report if there are any negative consequences as I continue to put miles on my car. 😊

Comment

A couple previously unrealized gains are I’m no longer concerned about the charging cable running across the front of my car and the car cover fits well over the charging cable. I’m now considering modifying the cover to further ease connecting & disconnecting the charger. 😊

Comment

Nice job! I did the same thing on my C6. No issues with water. Mine was even driven in the rain from San Diego to North Carolina and back to SD. Will look into doing the same on the C8.
                    Last edited by Vette Interested; 07-22-2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X