Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: TONS OF NEWS THIS WEEK

We've been doing Corvette news & headlines podcasts on CORVETTE TODAY since September 2020. I don't remember ever doing a news & headlines podcast with this much critical information packed into one podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/show/...ppfrkBCyZstwdl. This is a "must listen" to podcast. Here are a few of the topics covered in this episode....

1. Chevrolet confirms the introduction this Fall of the 2023 C8 Z06 with a new video release-and it sounds like a Ferrari
2. Corvette dominates sales in Q2 2021
3. Chevy dealerships have received their first 2022 C8 allocations
4. Callaway looks ahead to 2022 and the Callaway C8 Corvette
5. Right-hand drive C8 is revealed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK
6. New GT-3 spec C8.R expected in 2024
7. California will start failing cars with tuned ECU’s during smog checks
8. The National Corvette Museum delivers their 14,000th Corvette
9. A couple exchanges wedding vows before taking delivery of their C8 at the NCM
10. "Life in the Fast Lane" by The Eagles is a story of cocaine and a fast Corvette
11. Sigala Designs shows off a completed widebody kit for the C8
See more
See less

Trans filter change REQUIRES Trans Flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans filter change REQUIRES Trans Flush

While at the dealer, I grabbed a screenshot of the service manual indicating that a transmission flush is needed to change the Trans filter. Isn't the purpose of a filter to filter out debris, why is a flush needed? Was the flush added due to some complaints of DTC's being set? Was planning on changing the filter myself (as I have a lift), but requiring a flush means I need to service it at the dealer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5799.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	272606

Attached Files

Interesting. First I've seen this. I hope the dealers know this, and I wonder what it entails.

A thought: A flush generally implies removing and replacing the fluid. I wonder if this is only called for after the initial 7500 mi / 1 year service.

GM certainly isn't going to pay for a full oil change at the first service, and Tremec doesn't require it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-20 8.19.22 PM.png Views:	1 Size:	357.6 KB ID:	272615

See if your dealer will let you take a picture of the System Flush Procedure, too.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 05-20-2021, 07:21 PM.
    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

My Tech is superlative. He just changed my DCT filter and following the exact procedures on his computer screen, did not flush the entire trans. I think meyerweb is up to the differentiating fact, that it is most priobably only for the 22,500 mile and later DCT canister changes.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

On Corvette Blogger website I just got through watching a video by Paul Koerner on why GM pays for the first transmission filter change due to break in deposits. He points out the deposits on the lid with a screw driver due to break in of the transmission of a C8 with only 1,500 miles. (see below).

Here is a copy of the information posted. Check out his video. Bottom line is make sure you have the transmission filter changed prior to the first year of ownership or 7,500 miles or you might be paying $300.00 for this procedure to be done. After this you don't have to do it again for another 22,500 miles.

From Corvette Blogger website:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Top Cover Transmission filter lead deposits.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	272642
        Here is why GM is recommending and even offering to do the first DCT filter change during the first year of ownership.
        The Corvette Mechanic Paul Koerner, a GM World Class Technician for Key Chevrolet in Middletown, CT shared a video on his Facebook page this week showing the lid of the DCT canister filter from a Corvette Stingray with about 1,500 miles on the odometer. Even with the low miles, we can see those deposits that have accumulated on the cover assembly.
        Paul tells us these deposits are being filtered by the DCT’s canister filter during the DCT’s break-in procedure, and the residue left behind will also need to be cleaned before the lid assembly is reattached to the car. Once the initial DCT filter change has been done, you won’t need to do it again for another 22,500 miles.
        2020 Torch Red Z51, Mag Ride, 2LT, Two tone GT2 seats (Black Red), Front Lift, Engine Appearance, Red Engine Cover, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Wheels, Mirrors/Spoiler, Black Lugs, R8C Museum Delivery

Comment

Thanks for the great video from the Corvette Blogger - I couldn't agree more, I think it is a GREAT idea to change the filter prior to the 7,500 mile period (due to all the break-in material).

Also, was able to read and get a screenshot of the hydraulic flush procedure specified when changing the trans filter...Apparently, the flush procedure uses the scan tool to communicate with the trans control module and runs through certain settings to force trans fluid through the filter. So maybe the Tech did this when they changed the filter? What I do not understand is if you drive the car, isn't that like performing this "flush" procedure?

Name:	IMG_5801.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	272658

I also found out that there are TWO filters in the transmission - the canister one and another filter above the transmission oil pan (refer to picture below - item #3).

Name:	IMG_5802.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	272659

Comment

Originally posted by Dinhps007 View Post
            I also found out that there are TWO filters in the transmission - the canister one and another filter above the transmission oil pan (refer to picture below - item #3).
            The Suction Filter is internal and says "Lifetime Usage".

Name:	Forum Pics-326.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	273123
            1LT |Torch Red/Black | MSRP $59,995 | DOB=8/31 | Home on 9/24.
            Splash Guards, Cargo Nets, All weather Jake Floor Mats and Cargo Area Liner, and Front Grille Screens behind grilles.

Comment

I wonder if the flush is designed to backwash the suction filter by running the pump in reverse or somesuch. In that case, what happens to the trapped particles?

Would love to have a more technical explanation of how the DCT works (beyond how it shifts gears, which I pretty well understand).
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

is it true that GM will still do the DCT filter change if your mileage is over 7500 as long as it's still within a year of purchase?
                2021 Coupe, AYellow,z51,Mag,2LT,JetBlk,GT2,LIft,Dual RoofTransparent Deposit:4/20; 2000 12/18/20; 3800 2/22/21;4200 3/1/21; 5000 3/3/21

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                  is it true that GM will still do the DCT filter change if your mileage is over 7500 as long as it's still within a year of purchase?
                  Maybe? All of the documents I've attached state within 1 year, and say nothing about mileage.

BUT, to get GM to pay for both the first oil change and the DCT filter, they have to be done at the same time. GM will only pay for one first service. And the OLM (if it's the same as the C7) will count down to zero at no longer than 7500 miles, regardless of time. So my guess (don't use me to try to convince your service advisor) is that if you go in at 7600 miles and 11 months for the first oil change & DCT filter, you'll get it paid for. But if you have the dealer do a free oil change at 7500 miles / 8 months, and then go back at 11 months for the DCT filter, you're out of luck.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dinhps007 View Post
                    Thanks for the great video from the Corvette Blogger - I couldn't agree more, I think it is a GREAT idea to change the filter prior to the 7,500 mile period (due to all the break-in material).

Also, was able to read and get a screenshot of the hydraulic flush procedure specified when changing the trans filter...Apparently, the flush procedure uses the scan tool to communicate with the trans control module and runs through certain settings to force trans fluid through the filter. So maybe the Tech did this when they changed the filter? What I do not understand is if you drive the car, isn't that like performing this "flush" procedure?

Name:	IMG_5801.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	272658

Name:	IMG_5802.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	272659
                    What is the document number of the DCT flush procedure in the manual (to the right of the 13097125). Thanks.
                    Shadow Gray Metallic; 1LT with Z51, FE4, Comp seats, blk int and package with PDR.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X