DIY: Painted engine cover & struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY: Painted engine cover & struts

Used color coded Automotive Touchup aerosol paint, black Restoleum, and yellow vinyl lettering from fellow C8 owner from eBay. Texas emblem was cut down from a Texas Edition automotive emblem. Finally hand painted cross flag logo. 1000 miles later and still holding up well. Click image for larger version

Name:	809A93C4-9715-4C1C-9B3E-A470EA3E6DEE.jpeg
Views:	620
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	242822 Click image for larger version

Name:	0B31657A-F011-482D-B951-9A112F1BD747.jpeg
Views:	484
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	242823

Looks pretty good! Great job.

Comment

Struts just have the four bolts? Easy enough.

Comment

Well done F15Texas! Looks great.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Jetdriver: Yes, 4 bolts but I have the mag ride which had a Christmas tree insert securing the electrical line that needed to be extracted with a common interior trim tool (to save and reuse tree) and the passenger side rail also has a couple of clips securing a fuel? line. Very straight forward removal with a little care removing the lines and then working the strut out of its respective bracket. Not for everyone, but it came out looking like it could have been done at the factory. 😉

Comment

Looks great and you can have pride that you did it.

Quick question did you hit either the cover or the struts with a primer? Did you scuff up or rough up the struts first?

Any clear coat or sealant/ hardener over the top?

Comment

Hillslam: Yes, I prepped the struts by light sanding with some 600-800 grit sandpaper prior to painting & clear coated with aerosol provided by Automotive Touchup after color painting. It was fine on the automotive paint, but did cause a little “crinkling” effect on the black Restoleum paint. Not enough to bother me or the overall out come. Hindsight, might use a black automotive paint before clear coating. The engine cover has a natural texture as well so the crinkles are barely noticeable from 2’ away. Might also mention it is tedious to slide the struts back in place without scraping the paint under the brackets. Even from the factory it is bare metal under the brackets due to the tight tolerances. You’ll see what I mean when you remove them. Align the bolt holes as best as you can before slipping them back in the brackets closest to the rear windshield to minimize paint damage.

Comment

Hillslam: I also prepped the struts and engine cover with rubbing alcohol prior to painting to remove any residual oil and dust debris before painting.

Comment

Hillslam: Should have added I used an adhesive primer on the plastic engine cover again provided by Automotive Touchup prior to color painting. I did not primer the struts, but merely buffed them with the fine sandpaper.

Comment

Nice!!! I love DIY tweaks that turn out that well!

2021 HTC - Z51 - 3LT - FE4 (MagRide) - E60 (Front Lift) - EFY (Body Colored Accents) - 3800 status, scheduled for build 4/14 - Shipping "Delayed"

Comment

Thanks for the updated info. Very helpful.
                      Looks great.

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by F15Texas View Post
                          Used color coded Automotive Touchup aerosol paint, black Restoleum, and yellow vinyl lettering from fellow C8 owner from eBay. Texas emblem was cut down from a Texas Edition automotive emblem. Finally hand painted cross flag logo. 1000 miles later and still holding up well. Click image for larger version

Name:	809A93C4-9715-4C1C-9B3E-A470EA3E6DEE.jpeg
Views:	620
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	242822 Click image for larger version

Name:	0B31657A-F011-482D-B951-9A112F1BD747.jpeg
Views:	484
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	242823
                          Great Great Work!! Was thinking of doing the same to my engine cover. Fun project and saves $500 or so bucks. Was wondering how much time it took to mask off the unpainted parts? Even better, are some of them detachable from the cover? Thanks for posting this fine work!

Comment

I started to take the metal emblems off, but decided I was likely to damage them as I couldn’t decide to heat them, or just pry. Hence, Frog tape and an exacto knife and razor blade worked well taping them off and leaving attached. Took longer to tape off the rails and body of the cover after painting the black and prior to painting the orange than the emblems. After taping and painting, be prepared to do some fine touch up on the lines. All said, I probably invested 2 hours in taping off working with small strips in the tight, angular transitions. I bought a replacement engine cover off of eBay in the event I needed a fall back plan. Glad it’s still in the box. A great DIY project. 😉

Comment

Tape is what I'm planning to do as well. Thanks. Is Automotive Touchup a brand? Also, is this paint rated for higher temps? Thanks again!!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X