Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Keith Cornett & Steve Garrett Present The Latest C8 News

We are thrilled to say that this podcast begins year #2 for CORVETTE TODAY!  Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com teams up with your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, to keep you on top of what's going on in the world of Corvette.  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...il-2021-ev2565
Here are some of the topics covered in this podcast:
1.  April 2021 Constraints and Production Update – 11000 orders still to produce
3.  Zeus Bronze and Sebring Orange are now no longer available for order
3.  Corvette is the fastest selling new car for the 3rd month in a row!
4.  Corvette dominates Q1 sales with 51% marketshare
5.  Corvette has highest model loyalty in Luxury Sports Car segment
6. Sportscar 365 says GM Racing will make a decision on LMDH & GTD Pro in 45 days
7.  Digital Paint samples for three new 2022 colors revealed
8.  Tonowanda #1 Team Badges available for sale at Chevy Parts Counter
9.  Corvettes at Carlisle to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the ’96 Grand Sport
10.  Supercar Blondie is a fan of the C8 Corvette!
See more
See less

tow hook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tow hook?

Can someone explain the tow hook trend on the C8? I have never seen this on previous generations but it seems to be a thing for the C8. I never understood the concept. I know it was always popular in the "ricer" community (sorry if that is not a proper term). But on a C8? Its it used for racing and used as a tie down point ?
    Last edited by Dmraco; 02-06-2021, 08:27 AM.

It was popular on the C7 as well. Some just like the look even though they don't track their cars.
    1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
    2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Dmraco View Post
      Can someone explain the tow hook trend on the C8? I have never seen this on previous generations but it seems to be a thing for the C8. I never understood the concept. I know it was always popular in the "ricer" community (sorry if that is not a proper term). But on a C8? Its it used for racing and used as a tie down point ?
      It does look crappy. It breaks up the nice lines of the front fascia with an out of place item that screams, "my car breaks down a lot".

Comment

My understanding is people who track their cars install the tow hook to make “extraction” easier for the track personnel if they have an “off”. I suspect that people who drive around town with the tow hook installed are generally people who do NOT track their cars but want to look like they do. I guess they think it looks cool. Their car, their choice. I have a tow hook in the trunk in case I ever need it.

Comment

What 16falcon said.

Have a tow hook, and have it in the trunk.

Comment

If i tracked my car, I would have one. Our new Toyota RAV4 Prime came standard with one (in the trunk with other tire changing equipment, also screws in to the front bumper without tools). I hope it lives its life right where it is now, e.g. hibernating).
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by 16falcon View Post
              My understanding is people who track their cars install the tow hook to make “extraction” easier for the track personnel if they have an “off”. I suspect that people who drive around town with the tow hook installed are generally people who do NOT track their cars but want to look like they do. I guess they think it looks cool. Their car, their choice. I have a tow hook in the trunk in case I ever need it.
              Most tracks require them to make it easier to retrieve a car that goes off track. And I agree with your assessment of "most" on the street. I do know one guy who tracks his Callaway C7 frequently, and never bothers to remove the hook for street and put it back on for track.
              Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

It is better to be safe than sorry. If you have one, it will make it easier for the tow truck driver to pull the car out of a ditch, or whatever you got yourself into.

If you are dug in, you may not be able to get the straps under the car and pull if up on the back of the tow vehicle. The hook gives you another option and can be screwed into the front or back, whichever is more appropriate. I keep one in the trunk, with the tow straps so whatever will work better, I am ready.

As for driving around with a hook sticking out of your front or back (or both) bumper, that is up to you. I saw Chevy Dude demo it on one of his videos and when he went to pry the back cover off the bumper, he broke the strap that holds the cover to the bumper. I would conclude that if you don't have to pry the covers off, don't, and save it for when it is absolutely necessary.
                2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue, Sky Cool Gray, 2LT, Z51, GT2 Seats, FE4 mag ride, nose lift, performance exhaust, carbon flash wheels. Loving it!

Comment

Toe Hooks have nothing to do with racing. They are for towing the vehicle. The last two Cadillac SRXs I have had, had toe hooks. They have been available for and on GM vehicles for at least 15 years. Check the right front and the left rear of GM vehicles and you will see a 1 in by 2 in removable plug covering the nut where the toe hook installs. Where have you guys been for the last 15 years?

Comment

Toe Hooks have nothing to do with racing
                    Tow hooks might not be exclusively for racing, but they absolutely have something to do with racing...

As mentioned above, many tracks require a front tow hook (tow eye) to be installed when on the track to speed up recovery and minimize the chances of the track flatbed operator screwing up your car pulling from the wrong spot.

I assume the C8 comes with a factory tow eye in the tool kit, it's mentioned in the owners manual, but only having my car about a week, I'll admit I haven't dug out the tool kit yet.

Be careful however, the 'cool' looking aftermarket tow hooks sold on the web are often POS and will snap when you need it the most. Use the factory tow eye or a quality tow hook from a reputable racing equipment manufacturer.
                    Last edited by pfbz; 02-06-2021, 06:21 PM.
                    Corvette: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, born 1/7/21
                    Porsche: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Comment

Originally posted by pfbz View Post
                      I assume the C8 comes with a factory tow eye in the tool kit, it's mentioned in the owners manual, but only having my car about a week, I'll admit I haven't dug out the tool kit yet.
                      There is no “tool kit”. Run flat tires, so no lug wrench. The only tool you get is the plastic funnel for adding gas from a container. From the owner’s manual: “A tow eye may have been provided at vehicle delivery.”

I believe they are required in Europe, so they are included there. Not required in the USA, so not included. I bought one off eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

There is no “tool kit”. Run flat tires, so no lug wrench. The only tool you get is the plastic funnel for adding gas from a container. From the owner’s manual: “A tow eye may have been provided at vehicle delivery.”

I believe they are required in Europe, so they are included there. Not required in the USA, so not included. I bought one off eBay.
                        Good to know... Is there a specific part number? I know in the Porsche world, some have different threads and different lengths, NOT interchangeable.

---

Update. Looks like the factory tow hook is #15234068?
                        NOT cheap at $127 list price, and still about $90 shipped on eBay.
                        Last edited by pfbz; 02-06-2021, 06:39 PM.
                        Corvette: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, born 1/7/21
                        Porsche: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Comment

I bought a generic one (not the GM part) for the C7. I believe the part number is the same for C7 and C8. I paid $60 plus shipping last July, but I see it’s $75 plus shipping now.

Comment

If you need a flatbed and don't have a tow hook they will want to hook up to someplace under the front and the tow line/cable might be at an angle that would then hit the underside of the front and crack the splitter. much better to have a hook available for them to use.

Comment

I bought these: https://www.westcoastcorvette.com/co...06-grand-sport

Yes, I confess I leave them in my track cars. One less thing to deal with in the morning to get ready! If we only went once or twice a year, maybe I would take them out!
                              HTC 3LT Z51 Black w/silver stripes/Black+grey two tone suede interior

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X