Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today’s News That “Corvette Fever” Returns

Corvette Fever magazine has not been published for a while. But Alan Colvin, a walking encyclopedia of GM cars as well as Corvette, has purchased the rights to Corvette Fever and has revived this publication! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Colvin-euvkq2. Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, visits with Alan to talk about the books he's written on Corvette and other GM products, his history with the old Corvette Fever magazine and how he plans to revive the publication. Plus, listen to this podcast and register to win one of 3-two year subscriptions to Corvette Fever that we're giving away exclusively on this episode! Listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast and win a subscription to Corvette Fever magazine!!!
2 of 4 < >

SGTMAJ USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER Joins MECF As A Featured Forum Vendor.

Welcome to SGTMAJ USMC USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER! We are so happy to have you now join us as a MECF Featured Forum Vendor. We can not wait to help your new business grow. We know you will provide a great transport service to our members and others!
3 of 4 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

How I Mounted My Radar Detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2020HTC View Post

Crazy. I still have a gen 1 in the draw that is useless due to K band everywhere.
    I'm assuming you don't have a bluetooth adapter. If you do you could try the JBV1 app to see if you can quiet it down.
    2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

If it is true that the ticket for a laser jammer is not a moving violation, then perhaps there is value there. Anybody use a 360ci custom installed with jammers?
      HTC 3LT Z51 Black w/silver stripes/Black+grey two tone suede interior

Comment

"Crazy. I still have a gen 1 in the draw that is useless due to K band everywhere." If a V1G1 detector is updated with the last firmware version, K band junk is not a problem.

Comment

RKCRLR
          I have the same detector. I like your mounting bracket idea better than what I did.
          To have it removable, could just use velcro. I did that on our other car using the V1.

Guessing you did this is on a 2020 C8? Could you please tell me what software you used and how you got it to display on the infotainment screen? I presume it is something from your iphone, as I see Waze on the screen also.

Presume that is some Valentine 1 software? And what airplay adapter you are using to project this onto the Infotainment screen? Thanks.
          And does it work well in the C8?

FYI: I recently made provision to clip my V1 to the passenger visor. I ran power to the cam from the rear fusebox, then from cam via telephone cable to the top of the front windshield. Added the concealed display. No visible wires anywhere. Big job.

Last edited by carbuff; 02-11-2021, 10:16 PM.
          2020 Yellow LT2 convertible
          2015 Z51 LT2 Yellow coupe - sold
          2006 Z51 Yellow coupe - sold
          2002 Z51 Yellow coupe - sold
          1993 Yellow coupe - sold
          1979 Red coupe - sold

Comment

Originally posted by carbuff View Post
            RKCRLR
            I have the same detector. I like your mounting bracket idea better than what I did.
            To have it removable, could just use velcro. I did that on our other car using the V1.

Guessing you did this is on a 2020 C8? Could you please tell me what software you used and how you got it to display on the infotainment screen? I presume it is something from your iphone, as I see Waze on the screen also.

Presume that is some Valentine 1 software? And what airplay adapter you are using to project this onto the Infotainment screen? Thanks.
            And does it work well in the C8?

FYI: I recently made provision to clip my V1 to the passenger visor. I ran power to the cam from the rear fusebox, then from cam via telephone cable to the top of the front windshield. Added the concealed display. No visible wires anywhere. Big job.
            I like your idea of Velcro. Would work good on my mount.

The V1 app is JBV1 but it is only available for Android. Screen2Auto is the app I use to make it appear on the infotainment screen but it requires your phone to be rooted. I use a dedicated phone that remains in the car and turn on the hotspot on my main phone so I don't have to root my main phone. Sort of like a pseudo wireless Android Auto. This is all Android although there may be corresponding apps for iPhone.
            Last edited by RKCRLR; 02-12-2021, 09:15 AM.
            2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Thanks for the info RKCRLR

I have an iPhone so I will have to figure this out.

Suggestion on the velcro: When you do the velcro, put the loop side on your mount and the hook side on your detector. You can then store your detector in the trunk of frunk when not in use, and it will stick to the carpeting in those areas (does not stick to the cut pile carpeting in the cabin). The loop part also stays looking cleaner.
              1993 Yellow coupe - sold
              1979 Red coupe - sold

Comment

Thanks for the info RKCRLR

I have an iPhone so I will have to figure this out.

Suggestion on the velcro: When you do the velcro, put the loop side on your mount and the hook side on your detector. You can then store your detector in the trunk of frunk when not in use, and it will stick to the carpeting in those areas (does not stick to the cut pile carpeting in the cabin). The loop part also stays looking cleaner.
                Some people with iPhones using JBV1 get a dedicated Android phone that stays in the car and runs JBV1. You could also do this to run Screen2Auto but that is a lot of work.

Comment

QCool detailed writeup...i think Im going with the upcoming blendmount and power it off the 1LT mirror when it becomes available.

till then I have it mounted on passenger visor and powered from the socket next to glovebox.

for the polic,ean on the forum...i run the detector as the vehicle is unfortunately easy to go 10 over and the little beeping reminds me to double check speed limit versus speed.

Comment

Originally posted by carbuff
                    Got thinking that there must be an app for IOS since there is one for Android. And there are.
                    Just found a couple of V1 apps for iPhone. one seemingly free, the other $21 for the pro version. Will try to see if they talk to the V1 and what happens. Will check in later.
                    I run the third party app V1Driver ($9.99) on my iphone to super-tune my V1s in three other vehicles. Superb application. It will auto-mark the location and frequency of fixed, non threatening radar sources and quiet down reports in almost other situations. I also use older V1s with a bluetooth dongle. You don't need to have the a V1 Gen 2 to take advantage of these features.

For mounting, I use Blendmounts or other mirror mounts. Since there is no mirror mount available yet for the C8, I plan on using the included suction cup mount. My friend has been super successful with the suction mounts by making sure he thoroughly cleans the windshield mounting area and cups with alcohol, and using a heat gun to warm the cups and windshield area before attaching. After that, he says they stick strongly for multiple years, even if left outside in the sun.

For wiring, I typically use the mirror mount area for power and either a custom or off-the-shelf power cable like the ones listed above.

A new V1 G2 detector is due to arrive any day, I'll post up some pictures once it is fully mounted and wired.
                    Last edited by pfbz; 02-12-2021, 03:39 PM.
                    Corvette: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, born 1/7/21
                    Porsche: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Comment

RKCRLR

I'm sorry, I'm not following what you're talking about by "cam." And if you wouldn't mind explaining how you routed the wire?
                      Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3300, TWP 5/??: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post

I like your idea of Velcro. Would work good on my mount.

The V1 app is JBV1 but it is only available for Android. Screen2Auto is the app I use to make it appear on the infotainment screen but it requires your phone to be rooted. I use a dedicated phone that remains in the car and turn on the hotspot on my main phone so I don't have to root my main phone. Sort of like a pseudo wireless Android Auto. This is all Android although there may be corresponding apps for iPhone.
                        Thanks for the reference to Screen2Auto. I have an old rooted phone I use with a front parking camera on my C7. I now know what it's going to get repurposed for.
                        Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3300, TWP 5/??: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                          for the polic,ean on the forum...i run the detector as the vehicle is unfortunately easy to go 10 over and the little beeping reminds me to double check speed limit versus speed.
                          In 49 states radar detectors are completely legal. And in the 50th, if you appeal the conviction they drop it like a hot potato, knowing that federal law overrides Virginia's stupid state law and if a precedent gets set the entire law will be overturned. No need to apologize for using one.

Comment

meyerweb ta-cke-saved-href="#" href="#" class="b-bbcode-user b-bbcode-user--has-avatar js-bbcode-user js-bbcode-user--userid49" style="background-image: url("https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.com/core/avatars/0/0/4/1/3/3//thumbs/avatar49_12.png");">meyerweb meyerweb;n240518]

I'm sorry, I'm not following what you're talking about by "cam." And if you wouldn't mind explaining how you routed the wire?
                            [/QUOTE]

meyerweb
                            The cam is the power connector end with 2 outlets. I routed power from fuse #12 in the rear fuse box to under front fuse box where the cam terminates.
                            From there I fished the phone cable which starts at the cam, behind passenger right kick panel, up the passenger side door opening molding, up the A-pillar, over to the drop-point just above the passenger visor.
                            The telephone pigtail sticks out just enough to attach to the V1. I do not leave my V1 in the vehicle. Ever.
                            That is just tempting a smashed window.
                            When not in use, pigtail tucks under passenger sun visor. /

This avoids monkeying around with an very expensive piece of electronics. ie. the rear view mirror.
                            You take fused power directly from the fuse box to radar detector. You are NOT tapping into any existing circuit.
                            You just use a add-a-circuit and leave out the bottom fuse on it. Just use top fuse.
                            And it HAS to be pointed with pigtail pointing towards passenger side of vehicle, or it will not work (because only 1 side of #12 his hot).
                            Circuit only hot when car running. Off in ACC and start mode, so no parasitic drain.

Does that help?
                            Last edited by carbuff; 02-12-2021, 04:49 PM.
                            1993 Yellow coupe - sold
                            1979 Red coupe - sold

Comment

Does that help?
                              Yep, thank you. The second half of your explanation is what I did on my C7, but started with the 12 volt power source to the accessory socket on the console (where I also mounted my remote display. But obviously there's no socket in that location on the C8.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Yep, thank you. The second half of your explanation is what I did on my C7, but started with the 12 volt power source to the accessory socket on the console (where I also mounted my remote display. But obviously there's no socket in that location on the C8.
                                For the remote display, I velcro'd it to the steering column housing, just where the angle starts to go down to the DIC. It does not interfere with the DIC display. So it sits an an angle to the driver. But it works.
                                The velcro also allows repositioning it higher or lower to adjust for different height drivers.
                                I tried to find a better location for the remote display, but could not find a better alternative.

Please let me know if you can think of a better location. This is a tough one.
                                Not too many flat surfaces on this car withing clear view, but low enough for the remote display to be useful and stealthy.
                                So that is the best I could find.
                                1993 Yellow coupe - sold
                                1979 Red coupe - sold

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X