How I Mounted My Radar Detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I Mounted My Radar Detector

First, this isn’t the optimum location for a radar detector. The best position is high on the windshield. I had mounted my radar detector below the rear view mirror on my C7 but I didn’t like how much it obstructed my view. It seemed like it would be worse in the C8.
    I considered mounting it above the center speaker between the seats (if your detector has arrows then it needs a view out the rear also) and using a concealed display but it would be more work and cost, and it didn’t seem like it would have a good view out the front which is most important. So I decided to compromise some sensitivity for less windshield obstruction and mount it above the infotainment screen. My biggest concern is the rear of the detector is looking at the center speaker but my arrows seem to be working OK so far. I drove around for a while with the detector on the passenger floorboard and it was still going off.

Some photos of the completed job:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210104_130255.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	224897Click image for larger version

Name:	20210104_130333.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	965.0 KB
ID:	224894Click image for larger version

Name:	20210104_124736.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	888.9 KB
ID:	224895

Name:	20210104_124856.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	224896
    The most time consuming part of the job is fabricating the bracket. I purchased a 3’ long 2” wide by 1/8” thick aluminum bar from Home Depot. I wanted to make sure it was wide enough to provide good support and a large surface area for the adhesion. I made it in 2 pieces to make fabrication easier and used a ¼” bolt/nut to fasten them together. This is a trial and error process, pretty much “pound to fit and paint to match” job.

Bracket Photos:

Name:	20210101_125102.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	224898

Name:	20210101_125039.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	224899

Name:	20210101_125011.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	224900

Name:	20210101_125025.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	1,008.2 KB
ID:	224901

Name:	20210101_125048.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	224902
    I didn’t want to permanently mount the bracket since the dash may need service at some point and I didn’t want to get into a finger pointing exercise about rattles. I used some removable nano tape similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Tran...WQBAQ6MSMHTHW8

I also used this tape to mount the detector to the bracket. I didn’t remove my detector much in my C7 and this tape is supposed to be reusable. If you want to remove the detector often you could get a flat magnetic phone mount.

My detector (Valentine 1) uses an RJ45 jack (telephone cable) for wiring so I purchased a 6’ long black telephone cable. I drilled a couple of holes in the bracket and used black twist ties to secure the cable to the bracket. I routed the cable to the right side of the infotainment screen through the gap between the screen and “the wall”, along the bottom of the screen, and over through the gap on the right side of the steering column and the dash. Between using a wooden tongue depressor to press the wire into the panel gaps and pulling on the wire from behind the steering column I got most of the wire behind the panels. I then routed the wire over the center tunnel (behind the dash) to above the panel that is under the glove box.

Tapping into switched power was another challenge. The accessory outlet underneath the glove box works perfectly as switched power. However I didn’t want to have my detector power adapter permanently mounted in it. The C8 has an unusual accessory outlet fuse (15 amp MCASE fuse) and I couldn’t find an add-a-circuit for it. This is fuse #50 in the fuse box behind the glove compartment (search other threads for instructions on how to access the fuse box).
    I tested nearly every other fuse in the fuse box with a volt meter and none of the switched ones turned off as soon as the engine is stopped. So I made my own add-a-circuit using small automotive spade connectors. I had to grind down the sides of the male connectors to make them fit into the MCASE fuse. Be carful when sliding the female connectors onto the flat pins sticking out of the fuse box #50 location, I’m sure the box isn’t cheap. The left pin is power, the right pin feeds the accessory power. I tapped my detector fused hard wire setup into the side of the fuse the feeds the circuit so the wire running between the MCASE fuse and the detector 2 amp fuse is protected by the 15 amp MCASE fuse. The short run of wire between the fuse box and the MCASE fuse isn’t protected (other than whatever is upstream of the fuse box). There isn’t really anything for it to short against so this is low risk.

My homemade Add-A-Circuit:

Name:	20210102_144137.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	224903

Wiring installed in fuse box:

Name:	20210102_145343.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	224904

Final wiring in place:

Name:	20210102_150119.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	224905

I use a radar detector app (JBV1) on my phone but didn’t want to have a phone mount in the car. Android Auto doesn’t allow the use of the app but there is a workaround. There is a donor app called Screen2Auto that allows you to use any app in Android Auto:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/s...vices.4062787/
    The main downside of the app is it requires root. Rooting your phone isn’t for the faint of heart. I didn’t want to root my main phone so I rooted an old phone I had laying around and made it a dedicated Android Auto “server” that stays in the car and connected to the USBC port. I have my main phone automatically turn on it’s hotspot when it is connected to mychevrolet Bluetooth and is charging. I put it in the wireless charger when I get in the car. Sort of a pseudo wireless Android Auto. I still have some bugs I’m working through but I think I’ll get there. You can see my radar detector app being displayed in one of the pictures.

Hopefully this will help someone else.
    2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Thank you RKCRLR. It will definitely help someone (though not me for I have never had one in any of my 54 vehicles.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I just can't see myself sticking something like that on my dash ... I'd rather drive the Speed Limit.

I'll pass, I got now where to go in hurry anyway.

They have other units that are hidden away, but they are costly
      [2021 2LT-Z51-HTC-Red Mist-Carbon Flash Nacelles-Mirrors-Spoiler][GT2 Sky Cool Grey 2-Tone Torch Red Belts][E60 - FE4 - RC8]
      [Current 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]

Deposit June 18 2020

Comment

Very cool!!! great job with the images and write up. I wish you made a video on this but might just do on my own, looking to get a radar detector soon.

Comment

I’m going to do something a little less permanent. The “beanbag” dash mount. Someone in the other forum is using it and says it is very stable on the dash. Easy to do and can be easily removed. I will probably only run the radar detector when on longer trips, otherwise trying (emphasis on trying) to go close to the speed limit. It still won’t be ideal for placement but I don’t like the vision restriction of it being below the mirror and it’s illegal here to affix it to the windshield with the normal suction cup mount.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5F5L...v_ov_lig_dp_it

RKCRLR are you going to upgrade to a Valentine V1 Gen 2? I’m looking to get one of those but waiting to see how the Radenso Theia turns out and what it costs.
          Last edited by 16falcon; 01-05-2021, 09:03 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph

Comment

Virginia is the devil...a long-standing NO state to use of radar detectors. I'd love to jam, but there are just too many sensors out there like laser etc to get everything. Would be fun though...
            '21 G26 Sebring Orange Z51 2LT Coupe Natural Napa GT2 Seats
            Dual roof package (body / glass), E60 front lift, FE4 magnetic ride, yellow calipers, tan belts, carbon flash wheels, R8C NCM Delivery.

Reservation placed 1 Aug 2020. 3000 status as of 16 Nov 2020. 3300 as of 17 Dec 2020. 3400 as of 28 Dec 2020.

Another C8 born, 11 Jan 2021!

Sold—2002 C5 Millennium Yellow Coupe 2LT 6-Spd

Comment

Originally posted by 16falcon View Post
              I’m going to do something a little less permanent. The “beanbag” dash mount. Someone in the other forum is using it and says it is very stable on the dash. Easy to do and can be easily removed. I will probably only run the radar detector when on longer trips, otherwise trying (emphasis on trying) to go close to the speed limit. It still won’t be ideal for placement but I don’t like the vision restriction of it being below the mirror and it’s illegal here to affix it to the windshield with the normal suction cup mount.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5F5L...v_ov_lig_dp_it

RKCRLR are you going to upgrade to a Valentine V1 Gen 2? I’m looking to get one of those but waiting to see how the Radenso Theia turns out and what it costs.
              The JBV1 app helps with some of the false threats but I'll probably upgrade to a Gen 2 at some point. There has been a lot of hype about the Thea, it will be interesting to see how it turns out but is probably going to be more than I want to spend on a RD.

I used a bean bag mount for my GPS (back in the day before Google Maps) and they work OK. I just wanted something more integrated.
              Last edited by RKCRLR; 01-05-2021, 11:37 AM.
              2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Great job. I will look into this. I have a V1G2 that I move between cars. My current daily driver has a Blendmount and is hard wired. Will definitely hard wire the Vette (when I get it).

Comment

The OP has created a very good post with plenty of detail and pictures. A previous post (https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...rror-for-power) has another, perhaps easier, way. IMO - The V1G2 is absolutely worth the $$ and the Ka range is outstanding. If you have a gen 1 unit, they sell for over $200 on Ebay, so the hit is not as bad as expected.
                  Last edited by Jeff8; 01-05-2021, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I can't understand why Blendmount STILL has nothing for the C8. They are certainly taking their time.

Comment

I am in law enforcement, RADAR detectors (IMO) are outdated. We use instant laser. Undetectable until we light you up. It shows a picture of your car, distance from the laser and the speed. I have written hundreds probably over a thousand summonses and never had one dismissed in court. I know most agencies our going to lasers but there are some that have RADAR units out there, but we also have RADAR detectors/detectors since RADAR detectors are illegal in my state.

Comment

Originally posted by Quandor097 View Post
                        I am in law enforcement, RADAR detectors (IMO) are outdated. We use instant laser. Undetectable until we light you up. It shows a picture of your car, distance from the laser and the speed. I have written hundreds probably over a thousand summonses and never had one dismissed in court. I know most agencies our going to lasers but there are some that have RADAR units out there, but we also have RADAR detectors/detectors since RADAR detectors are illegal in my state.
                        I agree that radar detectors are pretty useless against laser. More of a warning that you'll need to find a good place to pull over if you've been speeding.
                        Many newer detectors (V1 Gen2 included) are invisible to radar detector detectors.

I live in a rural area and rarely see LEOs using laser. One of the things I don't understand is why LEOs (mostly CHP) drive around with their radar detectors on when they aren't using them. It's almost like they want to give advance warning to people with radar detectors.

Comment

Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post

I agree that radar detectors are pretty useless against laser. More of a warning that you'll need to find a good place to pull over if you've been speeding.
                          Many newer detectors (V1 Gen2 included) are invisible to radar detector detectors.

I live in a rural area and rarely see LEOs using laser. One of the things I don't understand is why LEOs (mostly CHP) drive around with their radar detectors on when they aren't using them. It's almost like they want to give advance warning to people with radar detectors.
                          My neighbor drives trucks from California to Florida and laser was hardly used anywhere. I’m sure some departments use it, but from what he has experienced, not much on the open highway.

Comment

When they shoot laser they have to set up in a stationary location, unlike radar that can be used from a moving vehicle. Waze is your friend against laser. Laser jammers are good too, but expensive and often illegal. Jammers are not legal in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff8 View Post
                              If you have a gen 1 unit, they sell for over $200 on Ebay, so the hit is not as bad as expected.
                              Crazy. I still have a gen 1 in the draw that is useless due to K band everywhere.
                              HTC, GKZ, HUV, 2LT, AQ9, E60, Q8Q, NPP, J6F, GT1 seats

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X