Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

C8 Convertible Headers & Cats Install - Worlds First...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8 Convertible Headers & Cats Install - Worlds First...?

OK, I have a dilemma... I want to do headers and sport cats on my Vert. All the videos I've seen are on a coupe and the trunk liner has to come out to remove the air box that way you have access to everything you need to get to. Well in the Vert it looks like you can't have the trunk and tonneau cover open at the same time. Its either one or the other. So how am I supposed to get to everything I need? Anyone have any thoughts on this situation or best plan of attack on doing a project like this?
    Torch Red C8 Spider

well i have a 21 HTC on order ,,,, but i would think
    1st - remove rear bumper
    2nd - remove trunk liner close trunk lid
    3rd - put tonneau cover in service mode
    from the videos i have watched seems like everything is below the body line. so access to headers cats should be easy.... my .02 !!
    I may do cats and exhaust,,, but i dont think there are many gains with headers.... since they come with decent headers from the factory..
    good luck with the install !!!

Comment

You are correct in that you can't have the tonneau cover and trunk lid up/open at the same time. You could remove the trunk lid completely and flip the latch and work on it that way I would think.

Comment

Bumper doesn't have to come for cats and/or headers. I think on verts you have two options. As Jeremy says you can remove the trunk lid from the hinges or just do each part separately and go back and forth like a monkey... lol
        Torch Red C8 Spider

Comment

yeah i thought you were doing exhaust as well

Comment

I got all the heat shielding out... what a pain in the a$$. The passenger side is tight af. All the YouTubers glaze over heat shielding removal. Bolts are all hard to get to. Tomorrow I'll tackle removing the air box and all those Christmas tree connectors. Not looking forward to that either.
            Torch Red C8 Spider

Comment

Originally posted by Sparro View Post
              I got all the heat shielding out... what a pain in the a$$. The passenger side is tight af. All the YouTubers glaze over heat shielding removal. Bolts are all hard to get to. Tomorrow I'll tackle removing the air box and all those Christmas tree connectors. Not looking forward to that either.
              I hope you're taking lots of photos of the process!
              Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

I hope you're taking lots of photos of the process!
                Yes I am. Today I might attempt removing the air box. The header bolts are gonna be tough to get to. I can't even see them. There is a heat shield built into the gasket which covers the bolt heads. All the videos out there say these are difficult to access.
                Torch Red C8 Spider

Comment

Originally posted by Sparro View Post

Yes I am. Today I might attempt removing the air box. The header bolts are gonna be tough to get to. I can't even see them. There is a heat shield built into the gasket which covers the bolt heads. All the videos out there say these are difficult to access.
                  Good luck! As much as I might like to change the exhaust, something tells me I'm not going to be willing to put that much effort into it.
                  Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

I thought the heat shields were a pain, the air box removal is a major, major, major pain in the a$$. So many connectors that have to come off and a hard to reach air box bolt on the lower left side. Plus with the convertible you have to move from opening the tonneau cover to closing it then popping open the trunk. Then close it and move to the tonneau cover part again.
                    Torch Red C8 Spider

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-26 at 2.50.20 PM.jpeg
Views:	1019
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	222294 Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-26 at 9.10.27 PM.jpeg
Views:	982
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	222295 Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-26 at 9.11.56 PM (1).jpeg
Views:	986
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	222296 Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-26 at 9.11.56 PM.jpeg
Views:	994
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	222297 Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-26 at 9.11.57 PM.jpeg
Views:	984
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	222298 Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-27 at 2.44.54 PM.jpeg
Views:	1007
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	222299 Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-27 at 2.52.36 PM.jpeg
Views:	978
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	222300 Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-27 at 4.13.28 PM.jpeg
Views:	989
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	222301 Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-27 at 4.16.46 PM.jpeg
Views:	999
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	222302 Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-27 at 4.34.18 PM.jpeg
Views:	993
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	222303 Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-27 at 7.42.06 PM.jpeg
Views:	985
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	222304 Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-27 at 8.57.36 PM.jpeg
Views:	1000
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	222305 Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-27 at 10.23.27 PM.jpeg
Views:	1007
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	222306
                      Torch Red C8 Spider

Comment

I can't get the air box out. The last picture shows how tight the opening is. The coupe opening is much bigger and has room for the air box to come out. I've got everything discounted but I can't get it out. It's rubbing on the top and bottom, plus the top of the air box has a little controller thing mounted to it and I don't want to damage that.
                        I would appreciate some help or ideas how to get the air box out. Even to change the filter you can't even see all six screws because its just so tight.
                        Torch Red C8 Spider

Comment

A fellow C8 friend came over. Sometimes you need a second set of eyes and insight to make things work. Air box is out. Now the real fun begins... getting the cats out should be (i'm hoping) relatively simple. It's getting to those header bolts it what's worrying me now. 5 per side (under the gasket/heat shield). I believe they are 13mm. Cats bolts I belive are 15mm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-28 at 4.40.46 PM.jpeg
Views:	987
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	222508
                          Torch Red C8 Spider

Comment

Wow ... Braver than I am ... good Job thus far.
                            Last edited by Plentyfast; 12-28-2020, 04:27 PM.
                            [2021 2LT-Z51-HTC-Red Mist-Carbon Flash Nacelles-Mirrors-Spoiler][GT2 Sky Cool Grey 2-Tone Torch Red Belts][E60 - FE4 - RC8]
                            [Current 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]

Deposit June 18 2020

Comment

Looks like it might be easier to drop the entire engine cradle out the bottom.....

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X