Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Harlan Charles answers YOUR forum questions about Corvette on the CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Corvette Product Manager, Harlan Charles returns to tCORVETTE TODAY! Your host, Steve Garrett, polled forum readers. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...orvette-er100d
You'll find out interesting answers to questions like:
1. What are cold weather driving limitations for the C8 Corvette, if any?
2. Will 2021 C8 Corvette owners receive a "thank you" Corvette model gift too?
3. What are the differences between a Z51 and non-Z51 Corvette for street use.
4. How does the Corvette Team go about selecting colors for new Corvettes?
5. What was Harlan's favorite item that didn't make it to the C8?
2 of 4 < >

Last Chance: Enter And Vote February Photo Of The Month Contest

Tomorrow (Sunday) night at 9:00 PST the entering/voting closes on the February POTM contest. Thank you. https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-theme-yum-yum
3 of 4 < >

Harlan Answers Forum Questions @ 12:00:01 AM Monday On Corvette Today Podcast

Harlan Charles answers forum questions Monday @ 12:00:01 AM on Corvette Nation Podcast. Here’s the submitted questions: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-today-podcast
See more
See less

Added the factory engine lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks darkroom. Very helpful videos/info.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Finished. Those interior panels were SOBs to get off. Two surprises. One was when I turned the car on to check the rearview camera before pushing the housing back on, and buttoning up the interior panels. The car turned it self off after some time, and the seat went into its' default mode, which for me is all the way back. Luckily I caught it, and it didn't do any damage to the not reinstalled yet interior panels. The other is with the side trim panel off don't close the door. It will mar the panel. At least that's where I think the marring came from on mine. I massaged it out so it's only visible to me, because I know it's there.

Big thanks to Ugolino for all his help!

Was it worth it? It was, but it was more work than I was expecting, mostly because of the difficulty in pulling off the old harness retaining clips (the one on the inside panel just before the connectors was a real bear) and the two interior panels. But, now that I know that I can just abuse them until they come off with no consequences (that I can see) it would likely be easier a second time. Not that I plan on doing this a second time mind you.

Next, lighted sill plates...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210221_185935c.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	243455

Comment

Originally posted by darkroom View Post
        Finished. Those interior panels were SOBs to get off. Two surprises. One was when I turned the car on to check the rearview camera before pushing the housing back on, and buttoning up the interior panels. The car turned it self off after some time, and the seat went into its' default mode, which for me is all the way back. Luckily I caught it, and it didn't do any damage to the not reinstalled yet interior panels. The other is with the side trim panel off don't close the door. It will mar the panel. At least that's where I think the marring came from on mine. I massaged it out so it's only visible to me, because I know it's there.

Was it worth it? It was, but it was more work than I was expecting, mostly because of the difficulty in pulling off the old harness retaining clips (the one on the inside panel just before the connectors was a real bear) and the two interior panels. But, now that I know that I can just abuse them until they come off with no consequences (that I can see) it would likely be easier a second time. Not that I plan on doing this a second time mind you.

Looks great Darkroom, I like it!

I have saved this thread for future use.

Comment

Originally posted by darkroom View Post

Good job, looks great. I think I broke my finger removing one of those interior panels, they are extremely robust. Hard to remove, even harder to get back into place, but the end result IMHO is worth it.

Comment

Great to see some additional install experiences. After hearing about your struggles with those interior panels I think I'm going to get an install quote from my local service department.

Is 2-3 hours a good estimate for labor?

Comment

Hi jackfrostpdx,

I have no idea how many hours they may charge you to do this. My dealer charged me for 3+ hours to install the front radiator protector grills before I drove the car off the lot. I thought it was at best a one hour job. This dealer charged me MSRP for the car, and there were no surprises (no extra fees or anything), so I wasn't going to argue.

Now that I have done it, I believe I could do this lighting update in around 2 hours.

I was more nervous about damaging a brand new car, so I was overly cautious. It's the first mark that is the hardest. If it was one of our other cars, I would have just dove right in. I hear that adding the two extra quarts of fluid to the DCT is a bigger project than it should be. I've had quite a few mid-engined cars before, though they were older variants, which weren't as electronic. And most everything was more difficult than on a front engine car. Especially cam belts and water pumps! I guess I am glad the clips are really strong, unlike my old Alfa, where the door panels just fall off when you close the door. And you just push them back on...and carry on with your day.

Check out the two videos I posted links for. Both of those guys just have at it, and it seems to work out fine for them. I just have never encountered clips that difficult, but the panels seem to be able to take the "abuse", providing you pull at the right places. I haven't really checked that everything is back in place %100 as original yet, since there is still a foot of snow on the ground here, and the car is in the garage. Supposed to hit 40 something later in the week. I may back it out just to give the engine a run and to check out how I did, plus install the illuminated door sill plates. Then put it back to sleep for at least another month...

Austin

Comment

Here are some pictures of those two interior panels after I got them released, and of the side trim panel showing the location of the connectors behind that panel where you plug the new cable into. I left them high resolution so they can be zoomed in if needed. Plus a picture that isn't as detailed, and is a bit fuzzy, of the whole area.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33975.jpg Views:	0 Size:	365.3 KB ID:	243866

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210221_174205b.jpg Views:	30 Size:	451.5 KB ID:	243772

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210221_174127b.jpg Views:	25 Size:	622.0 KB ID:	243773
                Last edited by darkroom; 02-23-2021, 11:11 AM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                Working...
                X