MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Another C8 Tip You Could Probably Do Without!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another C8 Tip You Could Probably Do Without!

but, I find it handy.

With many cars in our garage and poor lighting, combined with an aging back, there are times when locating the valve stem on a wheel that is in need of filling or checking, I've found a way with the C8 to make this mundane chore easier.

Simply rotate the center cap on the wheel so the bottom of the "V" of the Corvette emblem is pointing to the valve stem.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	center cap.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	195455

And the good news is you don't have to remove the wheel to re-locate the center cap.
    By pushing on the emblem which stands proud, the cap can be rotated to any position desired. Having fingernails is an asset here.

It can be carefully removed if necessary with a thin blade such as a narrow spatula knife.
    Cape Cod Taxachusetts

3LT GDO/AYM Coupe. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts.
    Illuminated Sills. Front and Rear Splash Guards. Chrome Wheel Locks,
    Home 08/10/20

Good tip, thanks for posting.

Comment

Every l ittle bit helps. Thanks for the idea.
      2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue, Sky Cool Gray, LT2, Z51, GT2 Seats, FE4 mag ride, nose lift, performance exhaust, carbon flash wheels. Loving it!

Comment

Good suggestion Jack. Also, by doing so, you'll be following a fine tradition that classic Rolls Royce owners and to some degree, Porsche owners, have been doing for years- ensuring the center logo squared with the valve stem.
        Enthusiastic owner of 'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
        Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum
        Web site: https://www.daumphotography.com/
        blog: https://insight.daumphotography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          Good suggestion Jack. Also, by doing so, you'll be following a fine tradition that classic Rolls Royce owners and to some degree, Porsche owners, have been doing for years- ensuring the center logo squared with the valve stem.

Thanks Jeff
          I didn't know that.
          I'm sure your Corniche is correct.
          I'll go check mine
          Cape Cod Taxachusetts

3LT GDO/AYM Coupe. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts.
          Home 08/10/20

Comment

Originally posted by USCANAM View Post

Thanks Jeff
            I didn't know that.
            I'm sure your Corniche is correct.
            I'll go check mine
            At least during judging time, though they tend to stay where you rotate them to.

I also do the same on RedHot (though I just noticed the valve stem logo isn't in line...) Click image for larger version

Name:	20201002_160259.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	195483

Comment

Thank you Jack.
              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

I also do the same on RedHot (though I just noticed the valve stem logo isn't in line...) Click image for larger version

Name:	20201002_160259.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	195483
                Jeff
                You know the judging criteria says "as the car came from the factory"
                I doubt if those valve caps were original equipment, so are illegal for judging, or at least you will lose points!

I don't miss those cars show hassles, although I do have a couple of Platinum Awards for the 348. Was a lot of work though. Would never do it again.

Cape Cod Taxachusetts

Home 08/10/20

Comment

The best kind of tip. And it involves no $$$!!

Comment

Originally posted by USCANAM View Post

Jeff
                    You know the judging criteria says "as the car came from the factory"
                    I doubt if those valve caps were original equipment, so are illegal for judging, or at least you will lose points!

I don't miss those cars show hassles, although I do have a couple of Platinum Awards for the 348. Was a lot of work though. Would never do it again.
                    Drat You got me. Agreed, I haven't taken a car to any judged event in years either. As close as I get is when I cover (photography) Pebble Beach or similar.

Comment

Learning something new everyday. 🍻
                      Thanks for sharing 👍👍
                      Arctic White 2LT, G8G, HUL, F9, AH2, 5ZZ, E60, STI, SHW J6F, Q8Q, RCC, Z51, ZYC.

Comment

Our C 8 was delivered with the caps pointing at the valve stems as you described. Not sure if the factory did this as our C8 was a museum delivery and they may have set the caps correctly.
                        3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

Worked great. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X