MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today With Keith Cornett: Latest Corvette News

Even though we're into the holiday season, there's still a lot of Corvette news! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-en2b43 Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com fill you in on what's going on.  Here are a few of the headlines discussed in this episode of CORVETTE TODAY:
1.  First pictures of the new right-hand-drive C8 Corvette headed to Japan
2. Lawsuit with GM about cracked Corvette Grand Sport wheels has been dismissed
3. C8 Corvette named to Car & Driver’s annual “10 Best” list for 2nd year in a row.
4. 2020 C8 Corvette goes on sale in the Middle East
5. Final production stats for the 2020 C8 announced
6. Nick Tandy to replace Oliver Gavin on Corvette Racing Team
7. Chevrolet celebrates IMSA championships with new commercial
8. The ’63 Split Window makes Hagerty’s list of coupes worth more than their convertible siblings
9. Procharger teases of a supercharged C8 Corvette
10. OnStar thwarts the theft of a 2020 C8 Corvette
Happy Holidays!
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Side Skirt / High Wing Instructions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I talked with my pro detailer yesterday, asking him about how to promote adhesion in this exact circumstance. His recommendation is to figure out exactly your areas of coverage overlap, then do a masking (not duct) tape tightly around those areas, get out some light hand polish like a Megjuiar’s 205 and a gentle applicator (cloth or microfiber) and then “gently” hand rub that area onto which you are later putting your tape.

    I had specifically asked him about re-installing the Corvette V emblem onto my three-layered CQuartz finest nano-ceramic coating.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by WhiteHorse View Post
      Does anyone know if the 3M tape and other adhesive will stick well if the car is already ceramic coated?
      It will not stick very good with ceramic coat already applied. As John stated above you need to use the polish to remove the ceramic coating in the areas you will apply the double sided tape. My skirts and splitter should be arriving today. When I do the install I ain't drilling a hole in the side of my car... I will use some extra 3M tape in those areas!
      Torch Red C8 Spider

      Comment


      • #18
        It is really good to belong to this forum and find out answers like this.

        Unfortunately it means one more step in applying the side skirts. Since my CarPro Cquartz,ceramic coating is being applied today, and the side skirts will arrive in a week or two, I will have to ceramic coat them myself when they get in. Looks like they sell it on Amazon.

        Installation
        NyVetteguy007 drilled the hole and used windshield glue.

        Frenzy36 says he used windshield glue in his post thanking AGMotorsports. If the car is already ceramic coated, will that still work, or do the Megjuiars 205 polish thing?

        Sparro just said he plans to use extra 3M adhesive tape and skip drilling.


        I don't know, but it looks to me like the better solution would be to use the windshield adhesive and/or extra 3M tape
        because then you don't have to monkey with:

        1. aligning a hole and drilling into the car.
        2. removing the wheel
        3. removing and replacing the transmission control module on the passenger side
        4. using the primer and urethane described on P. 11 of the instructions (or is that urethane a glue? Does it come with the Kit?)


        What do you guys think? Frenzy36 gave some instructions on using the windshield glue in his post. Perhaps he can repeat them here.
        Any other solutions?


        2020 C8 | 2LT | Arctic White | S. Gray Trident Wheels | Bright Red Calipers | Carbon flash mirrors | GT2 Seats | Natural Leather | Front Lift | Engine Appearance Pkg | Red seat belts| Red Engine Cover.
        Will add aftermarket: Black Lug Nuts with locking nut| Front/Rear Splash Guards | black out the gray on the wheels | TN air filter to bump it to 500 horse| partial PPF | and much needed window tint here in Central Florida

        Comment


        • #19
          I used 3M WINDO-WELD Super Fast Urethane Part #08609 My car already had PPF. I removed the PPF on the rockers and wiped them with Acetone.
          I also removed the 3M Tape that was on the Side skirts.

          If you are using the tape-
          (The tape raises and also keeps the side skirts from laying flat and also pushes it away from the rear quarter. -Also if you are going to pop rivet the bottoms the tape will release as when you pop rivet the bottom it will bow the skirts and cause tape to release).

          I then put a bead of the Urethane where the tape was and also on the part that contacts the rear quarter. After that just press it in place and hold it against the body for a couple minutes then let it cure for about 15 minutes. YOUR DONE

          You will not need to drill into the rear quarter or under the car at all. Therefore no need to pop rivet either. (Be sure not to get any Urethane on the car and if you do make sure you have the Acetone ready to remove it immediately. Pretty simple and will make the install Much Quicker and Easier without having to drill anything.
          Rocket City Florida

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Sparro View Post

            It will not stick very good with ceramic coat already applied. As John stated above you need to use the polish to remove the ceramic coating in the areas you will apply the double sided tape. My skirts and splitter should be arriving today. When I do the install I ain't drilling a hole in the side of my car... I will use some extra 3M tape in those areas!
            Read post #19 The 3M tape holds the side skirts away from the body and you will definitely have a gap. Also if you pop rivet the bottom it causes skirts to bow and the tape will release. So there would be no point of even having the tape.

            For those going the tape route on Ceramic coating - just wipe those areas with Acetone first.
            Rocket City Florida

            Comment


            • #21
              There are many ways to install the 5VM kit. The recommended way per GM is to use a combination of 3M, window weld and rivets. Our shop car has our 5VM installed with 3M tape and rivets only. It is up to the customer on how they’d like to install it. Of course we recommend installing it atleast with 3M supplied tape, rivets and the bolt in the quarter panel. If anyone has any other questions or needs instructions, we would be more than willing to assist by email or you can visit our website www.AGMotorsports.net for instructions.
              Best Regards,
              AGMotorsports
              WEB: www.AGMotorsports.net
              PH: 855-939-1555 M-F

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                I used 3M WINDO-WELD Super Fast Urethane Part #08609 My car already had PPF. I removed the PPF on the rockers and wiped them with Acetone.
                I also removed the 3M Tape that was on the Side skirts.

                If you are using the tape-
                (The tape raises and also keeps the side skirts from laying flat and also pushes it away from the rear quarter. -Also if you are going to pop rivet the bottoms the tape will release as when you pop rivet the bottom it will bow the skirts and cause tape to release).

                I then put a bead of the Urethane where the tape was and also on the part that contacts the rear quarter. After that just press it in place and hold it against the body for a couple minutes then let it cure for about 15 minutes. YOUR DONE

                You will not need to drill into the rear quarter or under the car at all. Therefore no need to pop rivet either. (Be sure not to get any Urethane on the car and if you do make sure you have the Acetone ready to remove it immediately. Pretty simple and will make the install Much Quicker and Easier without having to drill anything.
                So you didn't use any of the urethane under the car where the rivets would go? Do you have any idea of how easy it would be to take the skirts off using the urethane method in the event they have to come off in the future due to some unforeseen circumstance?
                Torch Red C8 Spider

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Sparro View Post

                  So you didn't use any of the urethane under the car where the rivets would go? Do you have any idea of how easy it would be to take the skirts off using the urethane method in the event they have to come off in the future due to some unforeseen circumstance?
                  I did pop rivet the bottom after the urethane set up, but I really don't see why it is needed. That urethane is some really tough stuff.
                  Rocket City Florida

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post

                    I did pop rivet the bottom after the urethane set up, but I really don't see why it is needed. That urethane is some really tough stuff.
                    I think I'll do the same, and pop rivet the bottom once all is set. So to be clear, no 3M two-way tape. Just put a bead of windshield urethane along the top (the part that goes over the existing rocker on the car) and the "V" portion that stick to the side panel (where the bolt would go that we won't be drilling.)
                    Torch Red C8 Spider

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Thanks Frenzy36

                      I am definitely liking the window weld method best, now AKA the Frenzy36 method! Seems easiest, fastest, safest, and best fit.
                      I was also concerned about removal in case of an accident or problem, but riveting is also permanent.

                      Frenzy36 To be clear on a few things:

                      Does the 3M tape come off easily?
                      By bead, do you mean a long thin line or a thick line, or dots. Or would it be possible to bead then brush so as to make sure none squeezes upward, or is it too thick?
                      I was also wondering about the bottom. Did you urethane weld that before riviting? It is not stated above.
                      Will I still need to use the Megjuiars 205 polish or will acetone be enough to remove the ceramic coating?

                      Thanks
                      Last edited by WhiteHorse; 11-22-2020, 12:34 AM.
                      2020 C8 | 2LT | Arctic White | S. Gray Trident Wheels | Bright Red Calipers | Carbon flash mirrors | GT2 Seats | Natural Leather | Front Lift | Engine Appearance Pkg | Red seat belts| Red Engine Cover.
                      Will add aftermarket: Black Lug Nuts with locking nut| Front/Rear Splash Guards | black out the gray on the wheels | TN air filter to bump it to 500 horse| partial PPF | and much needed window tint here in Central Florida

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by WhiteHorse View Post
                        Thanks Frenzy36


                        Does the 3M tape come off easily?
                        By bead, do you mean a long thin line or a thick line, or dots. Or would it be possible to bead then brush so as to make sure none squeezes upward, or is it too thick?
                        I was also wondering about the bottom. Did you urethane weld that before riviting? It is not stated above.
                        Will I still need to use the Megjuiars 205 polish or will acetone be enough to remove the ceramic coating?

                        Thanks
                        3M tape peels off easily once you get it started

                        I used a pretty thick bead - use your discretion - just don't want it to ooze out from where it meets the car - if it does it's not a big problem acetone will take it off- just remove immediately. I did not use urethane on the bottom side as didn't see the need - you may wish to.

                        The rear part that goes up the side of the rear quarter - I put too much adhesive and it squished out but used acetone on a soft towel to clean it.

                        I guess you could use polish- but I felt the acetone did the trick. Again the urethane is some really strong stuff and sets up rather quickly.

                        Don't sweat it- it's not rocket science. Pretty simple and you will be surprised how quickly you will be finished.
                        Rocket City Florida

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Thanks for the response.

                          I think I will leave the painters tape (masking tape) on from where I mark the borders as John noted to do above and perhaps a disposable paint brush to smear the glue to prevent over doing it.
                          Yea, It sounds very easy to put on with with the glue method. This thread could actually help the vendors sell more of these because some guys might be reluctant to hassle with it or wish to avoid getting ripped off by dealers charging for installation (like the 6 hour job mentioned above).
                          2020 C8 | 2LT | Arctic White | S. Gray Trident Wheels | Bright Red Calipers | Carbon flash mirrors | GT2 Seats | Natural Leather | Front Lift | Engine Appearance Pkg | Red seat belts| Red Engine Cover.
                          Will add aftermarket: Black Lug Nuts with locking nut| Front/Rear Splash Guards | black out the gray on the wheels | TN air filter to bump it to 500 horse| partial PPF | and much needed window tint here in Central Florida

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I'm having a problem sourcing the 3M WINDOW-WELD, but have access to Permatex Polyurethane. Is this basically the same thing just different brand?

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (39).png
Views:	41
Size:	525.4 KB
ID:	210753
                            Torch Red C8 Spider

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Sparro,
                              I found the window weld at NAPA thanks to SubVet.
                              Rapid Blue 3LT, HTC, Z51, HTO, D84, E60, FE4, J6F, ZYC.

                              Comment

                              MECF_728x90_bottom

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X