MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Do Not Post Anything Political On This Forum!

Violators will not as usual get a gentle private message. Anything posted from now on that is political SHALL result in a minimum one week banning. We do not care what side of the political realm you are on. Take your politics elsewhere! MECF is a car forum
See more
See less

Battery cable quick disconnect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery cable quick disconnect

For those that have taken delivery of their C8, has anyone installed a quick disconnect for the negative (ground) cable?

I'm wondering how much room there is for either type shown in the photos below? Since I haven't received my C8 yet, I can't check it out.

The one with the black knob, where the cable attaches, that piece is able to rotate. So is space is a problem, maybe this type is best since it has both the attaching piece and the cable itself that can rotate.

The one with the green knob is straight and doesn't move other than where it attaches to the post itself, so only the attaching cable rotates.

When the black plastic trim is in place, how much room from the bottom of the trim to the top of the battery? Looking at photos, there doesn't seem to be much if any free space.

Thanks, PB
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick Disconnect Swivel.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	177573Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick Disconnect Straight.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	177574
    Previous Vettes '59, '61, 62. Current toys, 1973 Vega Wagon, SBC 355, 600hp and a GM LS1 powered 1992 Mazda Miata, aka Panic Button.

On order, 2020 C8 Corvette Stingray Coupe, 3LT, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, Full-Length Dual Racing Stripe, Jet Black Napa Leather with Adrenaline Red Stitch, Magnetic Ride, Front Lift, Chrome Exterior Badge Package, Battery Protection.

Current status, 3000, TPW 11/16 as of 10/26/2020. It keeps moving further down the rabbit hole.

You really don't want to do that with all of the electronics , trans learning process, and stored info. Put a good trickle charger on her.
    Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
      You really don't want to do that with all of the electronics , trans learning process, and stored info. Put a good trickle charger on her.
      I agree, not to mention the trouble getting to the battery.... or opening the car without power would be a pain....
      3lt SOT...cf racing stripe,front lift.mag ride, z51,cf mirrors & spoiler,bright trident wheels,yellow calipers, yellow stitching black leather ,yellow belts,

Comment

I just checked on mine, 2 mins 8 secs to get to the battery using the key, manual pull cable frunk release, trim pieces removed.
        I agree to not removing the cable or installing a disconnect for the reasons that Frenzy mentioned, and others.
        However, it looks like there will be room for either disconnect if you still want to install one.
        TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
        Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Neil H View Post
          I just checked on mine, 2 mins 8 secs to get to the battery using the key, manual pull cable frunk release, trim pieces removed.
          I agree to not removing the cable or installing a disconnect for the reasons that Frenzy mentioned, and others.
          However, it looks like there will be room for either disconnect if you still want to install one.
          Thanks for the input and I was an automotive electrician for 30 years, so I understand what's going on.

I don't plan on disconnecting the battery regularly and I did order the battery protection package with my C8 for when it's parked.

Once I get my C8, I do want to do some current draw testing and having a quick disconnect will enable me to attach a meter across the ground connection, then using the quick disconnect I can break the connection while the meter is connected. That way the battery connection is never broken.

Cheers, PB
          Previous Vettes '59, '61, 62. Current toys, 1973 Vega Wagon, SBC 355, 600hp and a GM LS1 powered 1992 Mazda Miata, aka Panic Button.

On order, 2020 C8 Corvette Stingray Coupe, 3LT, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, Full-Length Dual Racing Stripe, Jet Black Napa Leather with Adrenaline Red Stitch, Magnetic Ride, Front Lift, Chrome Exterior Badge Package, Battery Protection.

Current status, 3000, TPW 11/16 as of 10/26/2020. It keeps moving further down the rabbit hole.

Comment

With my C7 I disconnect the negative battery cable once a year when I store the car in a rental unit that does not have electricity access. Did it each year for the six years I owned it and worked great. Car started right up after two months of hibernation.

I want to do the same with my C8. To plan for this which won't occur for quite a while,I just removed the plastic covers in the frunk that cover the battery and I have two questions:

1. It looks like there may be two ways to disconnect the negative terminal. One is right at the terminal where the connection plug would be pulled up using what looks like a 10mm socket same as the C7. The other is slightly left of the terminal as your facing it from the front of the car and it looks like it would be a slide off connection and perhaps even easier than taking the cable off the terminal. Whats the best way to do it.

2. Considering Frenzy36 concern in post #2 and Neil H agreement with that in Post #4, is what I want to do gonna cause any problems?

Thanks for help from anybody.
            Last edited by Boomer; 09-15-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post
              With my C7 I disconnect the negative battery cable once a year when I store the car in a rental unit that does not have electricity access. Did it each year for the six years I owned it and worked great. Car started right up after two months of hibernation.

I want to do the same with my C8. To plan for this which won't occur for quite a while,I just removed the plastic covers in the frunk that cover the battery and I have two questions:

1. It looks like there may be two ways to disconnect the negative terminal. One is right at the terminal where the connection plug would be pulled up using what looks like a 10mm socket similar to the C7. The other is slightly left of the terminal as your facing it from the front of the car and it looks like it would a slide off connection and perhaps even easier than taking the cable off the terminal. Whats the best way to do it.

2. Considering Frenzy36 concern in post #2 and Neil H agreement with that in Post #4, is what I want to do gonna cause any problems?

Thanks for help from anybody.
              There are a lot more electronics in the C8 - You can disconnect the battery - however it is not recommended as there is a learning process for the trans and other nannies which have memories. This is a better question for someone on the Corvette Team - however I do remember it is not recommended. Does the storage unit have a light? If so you could screw a receptacle into it and use that for a trickle charger.
              Rocket City Florida

Comment

There are a lot more electronics in the C8 - You can disconnect the battery - however it is not recommended as there is a learning process for the trans and other nannies which have memories. This is a better question for someone on the Corvette Team - however I do remember it is not recommended. Does the storage unit have a light? If so you could screw a receptacle into it and use that for a trickle charger.
                Thanks Frenzy36. No access to electricity. The C7 also had memories about certain things and I never noticed any difference after the two months or any learning curve the car had to go thru other than widow indexing and some DIC settings, but it probably occurred.

I'd like to know more about why its "not recommended". I wonder if it would be harmful in some way. Maybe the C8 has a "comatose sleep mode" I could use where no current is drawn.

Comment

They put the cars in "shipping mode" when they load them on the transporters but I don't know if we have access to that.
                  1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
                  2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

I'd be surprised if those learned settings aren't stored in flash (non-volatile) memory. Almost everything in today's cars is stored that way. Other than "the internet," is it documented anywhere that you shouldn't leave the battery disconnected in the C8? Batteries do need to be replaced, and it's hard to do that without disconnecting them.

Originally posted by brad66 View Post
                    They put the cars in "shipping mode" when they load them on the transporters but I don't know if we have access to that.
                    For the 2015 (and I assume all years) C7, this is how to enter and exit Transport Mode. Don't know if it works on the C8. Transport mode isn't zero current draw, but is reduced.

1. To turn the Transportation Mode on or off, it will be necessary to have all the doors closed.
                    2. Start the vehicle.
                    3. Activate the hazard flashers.
                    4. Press the brake pedal (automatic transmission) or clutch pedal (manual transmission).
                    5. Press and hold the Start/Stop button or turn the ignition key to the crank position for 10 to 15 seconds. The battery light will flash and the engine will start, but continue to hold the start button/key for approximately 10 to 15 seconds.
                    6. You will notice the radio will illuminate and the “Transportation Mode” message will disappear allowing you to be able to read the mileage.
                    7. The same steps are used to turn the Transport Mode feature on or off.
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                      this is how to enter and exit Transport Mode. Don't know if it works on the C8. Transport mode isn't zero current draw, but is reduced.
                      Wonder if that would be an option. Used to leave my CTS sitting the 2 months with battery hooked up and no tender. Started right up. Maybe all the C8 needs is "sleep"/transport mode for the two months.

Comment

The battery needs to get disconnected during servicing at times, so it is not an absolute taboo.
                        With that being said, I would disconnect the battery as few times as possible.

Make sure that you leave the car to power down for a few minutes after shutting it off.
                        This will allow all the modules to go into sleep mode.
                        I don't know what the exact recommended time-frame is but when I was a Chev Tech, I always used a 5 minute power down before I disconnected the battery cable and I did not run into problems.
                        If you want to be extra careful, use a 15 minute power down before disconnecting -- that is what I do now as time is not an issue like it was when I was on flat rate.

As with any electrical circuit (AC or DC), you should always minimize the amount of current flow before disconnecting the circuit.

I think we all agree that the system we want to see the least problems with on our cars is the electrical system -- that system affects every other system on the car.

Boomer, I'm sure you will be fine if you follow these recommendations and like you said, you don't really have a choice, with no AC available.
                        You might be able to use a solar charger, but you've probably already considered that.

Hope this helps.

TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                        Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Neil H View Post
                          The battery needs to get disconnected during servicing at times, so it is not an absolute taboo.
                          With that being said, I would disconnect the battery as few times as possible.

Make sure that you leave the car to power down for a few minutes after shutting it off.
                          This will allow all the modules to go into sleep mode.
                          I don't know what the exact recommended time-frame is but when I was a Chev Tech, I always used a 5 minute power down before I disconnected the battery cable and I did not run into problems.
                          If you want to be extra careful, use a 15 minute power down before disconnecting -- that is what I do now as time is not an issue like it was when I was on flat rate.

As with any electrical circuit (AC or DC), you should always minimize the amount of current flow before disconnecting the circuit.

I think we all agree that the system we want to see the least problems with on our cars is the electrical system -- that system affects every other system on the car.

Boomer, I'm sure you will be fine if you follow these recommendations and like you said, you don't really have a choice, with no AC available.
                          You might be able to use a solar charger, but you've probably already considered that.

Hope this helps.
                          I would agree that the car needs some time to shutdown. A couple of days ago, I sat in the car to see and hear what happens after shutdown. After the radio went off, I definitely heard quite a few mechanical things occurring and was quite surprised at the number of unseen whirls. My other cars didn't do as much.

Mark

- Just when you think you can't dig your hole any deeper, they throw the shovel in at you -

Comment

I think a CTEK battery maintainer is a much better solution to the long term storage issue, unless you are storing tjhe car somewhere with no 120vac power available.

Comment

You need to plug "Milliwatt Rob" into your battery tender port and leave him locked in the container for the winter. You might need to feed him every once in a while though!
                              😎
                              Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                              2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
                              Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
                              3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X