Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: TONS OF NEWS THIS WEEK

We've been doing Corvette news & headlines podcasts on CORVETTE TODAY since September 2020. I don't remember ever doing a news & headlines podcast with this much critical information packed into one podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/show/...ppfrkBCyZstwdl. This is a "must listen" to podcast. Here are a few of the topics covered in this episode....

1. Chevrolet confirms the introduction this Fall of the 2023 C8 Z06 with a new video release-and it sounds like a Ferrari
2. Corvette dominates sales in Q2 2021
3. Chevy dealerships have received their first 2022 C8 allocations
4. Callaway looks ahead to 2022 and the Callaway C8 Corvette
5. Right-hand drive C8 is revealed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK
6. New GT-3 spec C8.R expected in 2024
7. California will start failing cars with tuned ECU’s during smog checks
8. The National Corvette Museum delivers their 14,000th Corvette
9. A couple exchanges wedding vows before taking delivery of their C8 at the NCM
10. "Life in the Fast Lane" by The Eagles is a story of cocaine and a fast Corvette
11. Sigala Designs shows off a completed widebody kit for the C8
See more
See less

C8 DCT Fill DIY Video: Tips & Suggestions For Accessing The Fill Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8 DCT Fill DIY Video: Tips & Suggestions For Accessing The Fill Plug

Some excellent tips on how to get to the DCT plug to add your DCT fluid for track sessions. But first of course the air box needs to be removed and therein are some many challenging steps. Thanks to “Benz Tech LouieP” for detailing every one, with tips for the most difficult ones, that need removal first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	03F669D3-CC59-42A5-B4F3-3586155290CD.jpeg
Views:	3328
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	158111
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

It really is a Mother to get to that DCT fill plug.. there are so many plugs, clips, sensors, bolts to get the airbox out of the way.....I didnt want to break anything so I stopped ( this was 2 months ago. ) Im going to wait till I get the DCT fluid...and build up some patience and nerve and do it again... I just didnt want to throw a code because I removed a sensor wrong, installed it wrong, or broke a connector, etc. , etc. ... But Ill get it done..

Comment

I sure understand C808. Seeing just the the labor part of the bill from a GM Tech to add the fluid of around $600 was staggering, though now watching the video I can see why it was in that order of magnitude. Very expensive. I expect someone to come up with a better way, perhaps a pressure fed, very flexible fill tube that could go around the air box. [I hope I am not dreaming on this wish.]
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

A better way will be incorporated in the future or individuals will take these cars to the track anyway and GM will pay through warranty claims. If two quarts of oil is required to take a C8 on a track and if the additional oil does no harm than at least all Z51s should have this oil added prior to leaving the plant. GM mat paty a little more now for the cost of the oil but will pay less in the future in Warranty claims, one would think

Comment

GM will not pay for warranty claims for those who go to the track without adding the two quarts up front because they have stated in writing that this is a requirement before a user does so.

As to whether GM should include the two quarts up front in all Z51’s, that is a very valid discussion.

Comment

we don't have our C8 yet, but that breather with the flexible tubing might be a way to fill , if the top of the breather is removable and accessible. Of course, a pressure fill would be necessary due to the small size of the tubing, just a thought. At least, it could be modified so you don't have to remove the air filter box a second time. also a machined transaxle fill plug with a # 10 male hose fitting and extension to a cap
            3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

What do you do if you add the 2 quarts and go track racing and want to just enjoy driving afterwords? Do you have to remove the extra oil to go on a tour?

Comment

Don’t know if this has been addressed before but a lot of gearboxes or transaxles have side threaded ports that act as “fill points” indicators (or “overfill points“). I’ve previously pumped gear oil into these side ports until it overflowed. Might there be one of these that would be accessible on the DCT? If so, I would think it would be an over flow indicator for the additional 2 quart capacity.
                GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; RCC ER Intake Cover; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Proud LTM NCM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
                  What do you do if you add the 2 quarts and go track racing and want to just enjoy driving afterwords? Do you have to remove the extra oil to go on a tour?
                  No you do not need to change or drain the additional oil for normal driving. The reason for not adding the additional oil at the time of production is additional cost and a slight reduction in EPA fuel economy!
                  GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; RCC ER Intake Cover; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Proud LTM NCM.

Comment

You do not need to remove extra after tracking.
                    Shadow Gray Metallic; 1LT with Z51, FE4, Comp seats, blk int and package with PDR.

Comment

Hi guys

Several of us had an idea on another DCT thread and I don't know if anyone tried it out yet. If you jack the car up on one side (driver side) and tilt the car about 10 - 13 degrees, you may be able to use the side fill port above the filter to add more oil without going through the hassle. I don't know if anyone tried this and figured out how many additional quarts you can add based on this procedure.

If someone can try it and report back, that would be great. We may get lucky and it may allow 2 quarts as the DCT housing is quite big. Tipping it on the driver side should expose more volume based on the large DCT housing. Just a workaround thought here....

Comment

It is sounding like the 2 quarts should have been installed in the first place. This may have been how GM was able to price the C8 so low at $60,000.

Comment

Its special DCT fluid and is approx $ 50 list price per Qt/ Ltr from GM .... it adds up for thousands of cars... Best price I've seen in about $ 23 per Qt/ LTR plus shipping ... No dought GM buys for much much less.....even still.... the bean counters butts start to pucker up knowing the 2 Qts are not needed for normal street driving...Hence the excuse for track use addition by customer .

I agree though..that those of us that paid for the Z51... those 2 Qts should have been added.....especially considering how difficult it is to add....
                          Last edited by C808; 06-25-2020, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Tremendous amount of work to get to the fill hole and the air box, it’s going to be interesting car.

Comment

It is sounding like the 2 quarts should have been installed in the first place. This may have been how GM was able to price the C8 so low at $60,000.
                              Given that probably 99% of Corvettes never get closer to a track than the parking lot, it would have been a waste.
                              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X