Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today Show: Every Corvette Owner Has Corvette Stories, This Time MECF’s John Elegant Talks With Steve Garrett

If you frequent CORVETTE TODAY, you know I always say that, "Every Corvette owner has a story!” My guest on this show has 60 years worth of Corvette stories! John Elegant (the main man on MidEngineCorvetteForum.com) shares some of his best memories and Corvette stories with us, from the effect of seeing his first Corvette had on him to his first Corvette purchase, to Harlan Charles and Tadge Juechter stories! https://youtu.be/MDjY2BnWXtw ; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...SlgJdENwCCbyLa This is part # 1 of John’s Corvette stories. Have a Kleenex handy too-his last story will bring tears to your eyes! See what I mean when I say, "Every Corvette owner has a story" on this episode of CORVETTE TODAY
2 of 4 < >

Welcome HorsePower Obsessed & BlackOut Tinting As Our New MECF Vendor

Led by Justin at HorsePower Obsessed and his many YT videos, bet quite a few of you just became aware his co-ownership of several BlackOut Tinting Shops carrying XPEL, great window tinting and many more servces. WELCOME [email protected]/BlackOut Tinting! Find HPO on their YT channel @ HorsePower Obsesed, BlackOut Tinting @ https://blackoutempire.com/
3 of 4 < >

Find out your C8’s Order Status by asking!

Information provided to MidEngineCorvetteForum members, and with great thanks to Corvette Ed for answering your inquiry requests in our sticky’d “The C8 Order Inquiry Status Thread” in our “Purchasing Section.”https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...inquiry-thread
4 of 4 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Dying my Stitching Orange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great! You might want to use a cotton Q-tip instead of the paper towel for those areas of limited access.
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13- Sold Oct '21
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum
    Web site: https://www.daumphotography.com/
    blog: https://insight.daumphotography.com/

Comment

I think I'll certainly be doing this to my car when I get it. Red stitching to look as close to that factory option with the 3LT as possible.

Anyone done red yet? Just curious what color to get more than anything.

I also wonder if doing scotchgard or something similar after dying might help make it last longer between fading
      Last edited by Davii1775; 06-06-2021, 01:14 PM.
      2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers and engine cover, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C, American Hydrocarbon 5VM kit, museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4, 3300 on 8/4, 3400 on 8/11, #18 off the line on 8/23, delivered 9/10.

Well worth the wait, the car is amazing!

Comment

I use Adam's Interior Detailer and that has UV protection. I think most of the good interior detailers will offer UV protection as well. That should take care of most of the surfaces. For the seat and steering wheel where I have leather I am going to add a ceramic coating with Gyeon Q2 leathershield that should add additional UV and wear protection.
        2021 2LT HTC Sebring Orange Z51
        3000 2/17/21 - 3300 4/1/21 - 3400 4/13- TPW 4/19 Built 4/20 - 4000 4/21 6000 - 4/30

Comment

Originally posted by Davii1775 View Post
          I think I'll certainly be doing this to my car when I get it. Red stitching to look as close to that factory option with the 3LT as possible.

Anyone done red yet? Just curious what color to get more than anything.

I also wonder if doing scotchgard or something similar after dying might help make it last longer between fading
          I would just search Amazon for a red fabric pen. I used EPIC to seal my leather seats and it has been AMAZING!
          2021 3LT Convertible Rapid Blue C8 follow us for mods, reviews, and interaction. Everything and more.

IG: Malibu.C8
          YouTube:One Hot C8

Comment

Originally posted by Type 21C8Vette View Post

gwalsh88 Thank you for the idea of applying vinyl on the steering wheel. I would love to do my stitches red but don't have the skill set to do so. I did want to add just a little more red to go with my seatbelts so per your suggestion, I purchased a sample size car wrap in red and had assistance applying it to the steering wheel. I love the small little touch and makes my interior more pleasing to me. Thanks again!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 7.14.15 PM.png
Views:	748
Size:	9.16 MB
ID:	245386
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 7.14.42 PM.png
Views:	741
Size:	9.13 MB
ID:	245387
            So what vinyl wrap did you use? Color-match with set belts looks good

Comment

Originally posted by Katyman View Post

So what vinyl wrap did you use? Color-match with set belts looks good
              Per recommendations from this thread, I picked up a sample size 3M Matte Red Vinyl from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-1080-M13-M...42&sr=8-2&th=1

Comment

Ditto what everyone else has said.. looks great… sounds time consuming… 3 hours huh? Very impressive!

Comment

SHUT. THE. FRONT. DOOR!! I was in agony over going with Amplify because of the interior…agony. I was going to settle for Rapid Blue with a 3LT for the color. I think between this and a little leather work, the interior will look amazing. Biggest complaint about the orange is, no great options for interior. Just updated my order with my dealer, should be heading to 2000 status this week.

Us newer owners are very thankful for the great mods and info on this site!

Comment

Kudos to the OP on his patience, steady hand and firm commitment. An absolutely outstanding job. Very nice indeed.
                    07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

”I’m not the best in town, but I’m the best, until the best comes around“

Comment

• Beautiful work - I wish I could do that but simply don't have the patience
                      2022 2LT CHT - Red/Blk Z51
                      Waiting list ZO6

Comment

• I saw it done by my friend and fellow MECF member “Stevera2” on his C7 Z06. It is truly masterful how it came out; he did his in blue. Still looks terrific, though he did a touch of touch-up thre years later on a few high contact parts. Well worth three hours (about what it took him to do it all).
                        Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available to us. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

• Picking up my AO on Tuesday, 2LT with white stitching. This will be the first thing I do. I have four different pens, the one from Amazon, two different oranges from Sharpie, and something else. I’ll test them on the mats since I will be getting a set of Lloyds at some point.
                          Last edited by Wonrib00; 06-02-2022, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• Did anyone try this with red on the light gray seats? I want to try it, but I am nervous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wonrib00 View Post
                              Picking up my AO on Tuesday, 2LT with white stitching. This will be the first thing I do. I have four different pens, the one from Amazon, two different oranges from Sharpie, and something else. I’ll test them on the mats since I will be getting a set of Lloyds at some point.
                              Post some pictures! Good Luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by gwalsh88 View Post
                                Click image for larger version Name:	20200412_131041.jpg Views:	2330 Size:	2.93 MB ID:	137620Well... I did this on my old yellow C7 and loved it so I took plunge and started dying my Stitching orange to on my C8. It is taking me a little longer than I remember my C7 taking but I'm very happy with the results so far. I'll finished the rest next weekend.

Thanks
                                Gary

Click image for larger version Name:	20200412_131041.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.93 MB ID:	368386
                                To the OP, this is a GREAT idea. I am very happy I did this to my C8 too.

The below must not be construed in a negative way, but just my experience👍

Alright, I am now almost done with dying the stitchings. A bit of buyer beware note from me.
                                Full disclosure, I am no expert with these things, just your average handy man. I can install a dishwasher, paint my house inside/out, I change oil on my C8, DIY painted the engine cover etc and I can assemble any Ikea furniture… if I want… perhaps I over estimate my skill level saying I am average, but let’s call it close enough…

The below is my experience, take it for what it is worth.

1: Yes, using the recommended pens will make it look awesome. Completely OEM.

2: Yes, I have absolutely no regrets doing this.

3: No, it does not take only 3 pens. I needed 6 to thoroughly get a saturated color. The pens were very fresh, alright.

4: No, it does not take a couple of hours/you can pull it off in a morning. That is if you want minimal spill-over on the leather (yes you will notice this even on jet black leather). It has taken me no less than 12 hours with a steady hand.

5: You can’t use the same technique on all stitchings. Some are more loose, some are very firm (and perhaps made of nylon instead of a cotton blend…?).

6: Do NOT try to wipe excess paint/spill over off the leather by applying/dragging a semi wet piece of cloth/your finger over the stitching. That will leave it look dirty no matter how clean everything is. Your leather will always have a bit of dust/leather dye extracting/evaporating.

7: no, no matter hos fresh the pens are, you can’t use the “touch and let the color bleed” technique. It simply will not give a saturated color. You have to “get in there” and paint up and down each stitching, I would say 5-10 times depending on what kind of stitching you are coloring!
                                Last edited by Top Off Action; 06-13-2022, 09:01 PM.
                                Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X