This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks LJT for those reminders.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Very sorry if I missed this, but where is the recommended/appropriate place for a jack stand after lifting either side rear with a low profile floor jack under the hockey puck? Thanks for your response.
      2020 C8 Stingray Coupe 2LT; LBR Metallic / Natural Interior; GT1 Seats; EFY; Silver Hash Marks; E60-Front Lift; ZZ3-Engine Pkg; NPP-Exhaust; Edge Red Calipers; Edge Red Eng Cover; EYK; VQK; RXH; WKQ; SC7; GNOCC charter member. C8 arrived at the dealer 8/10/20

Comment

Originally posted by DR X View Post
        Very sorry if I missed this, but where is the recommended/appropriate place for a jack stand after lifting either side rear with a low profile floor jack under the hockey puck? Thanks for your response.
        Unfortunately it’s the same place that the hockey puck resides. That is why it requires a unique solution. I went with JackPoint Jack stands so I can lift and then support from the same spot. RennStands are another solution. QuickJack is a pricey solution too, although none of the other options are exactly inexpensive.

Comment

There is a one other option that I used to protect myself when under my C7. After using jacks with jack pucks to raise the car on one end, I would use my 2 1/2 ton floor jack and raise the front first (with a 2”x8” hardwood block between the jack top and the bottom of the side-to side, major structural, aluminum cross member, and then place jack standards, under the inside joints where the A arms would join those cross members (with a 2’x6” selected Douglas fir block in-between), then lowering the jack that 1/8” of an inch so the car would reset on the softwood blocks. Then do same for the rear. This would give me many safety points before I would even slightly venture under the car.

However, I notice that in the C8 manual GM no longer calls out those side-to-side major cross members as lifting points. Did people mess up using them improperly or is GM thinking that as the C8 has those complete, plastic, aero panels that no one is going to remove them to do the method many of us used during the C7 era?
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

Unfortunately it’s the same place that the hockey puck resides. That is why it requires a unique solution. I went with JackPoint Jack stands so I can lift and then support from the same spot. RennStands are another solution. QuickJack is a pricey solution too, although none of the other options are exactly inexpensive.
            I looked at all of them and decided, for not much more, I'm going to install the MaxJax lift in my garage.

Comment

FWIW, updated two PDFs related to lifting a C8. For my PDF on replacing Z51 brakes with low dust pads, I have updated showing why removing the front calipers is safest as much less chance of nicking the piston Dust Boots. It still shows what I did installing leaving the calipers in place BUT shows the potential risk: http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf

However, if you don't have a lift, to remove the front calipers requires jacking very high to loosen and retighten the two large bolts the required 155 ft-lbs. That takes a 2 step jacking process. !st to safely remove the aero panel bolts. 2nd to jack high enough with two jacks to place jack stands on suitable frame members: http://netwelding.com/Jacking_A_C7_C8.pdf

Here is pic from the Jacking PDF:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	GM A Arm  Lift Support Loc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	386.6 KB ID:	245891
              Last edited by JerryU; 03-01-2021, 12:36 PM.

Comment

That is such precise and helpful information. Thanks JerryU!

Comment

I've used jack stands where the shocks mount to the lower suspension members (as in your suggestion to use the lower a-arms) on many cars without issue. I just make sure I used rubber pads on top of the jack stands. These points are strong enough to deal with hitting potholes at speed without issue, and support the weight of the car, so I don't see a problem.

I also keep the jacks (I have two) under the jacking pucks in addition to using the jack stands, for 4 points of support. I wouldn't work under the car with only jacks supporting it, but I've yet to have a jack fail, and with the jacks and jackstands backing each other up I think it's as safe as I can get without a lift.
                  Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club.

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I know that GM wrote a technical note for the C7 that you should not jack anywhere on the suspension other than on recommended locations on the cradles. I doubt GM would change their tune for the C8, Jacking from the A-arm should be considered dangerous.
                    __________________________________________________ _______

MY2021 C8 Coupe/3LT/Red Mist Metallic/Jet Black Interior/Red Leather Stitch/Edge Red Calipers/GT2 Seats/Front Lift/Chrome Badge Pkg/Body Color Accents/Carbon Fiber Trim Int/MSRC/Silver Painted Wheels/Z51/Engine Appearance Pkg

Order Events: MM Deposit: Feb 25 Mar 1-#689: Mar 9-#678

Comment

I wouldn't jack there, but would put a jackstand there after the car is lifted.
                      Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club.

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I'm really hoping this means the frame is strong enough to jack from a corner now. I know that was a no-no for the C6 and C7 aluminum frames. They wanted you to jack from the cradles F/R and this looks like you really can't do that without taking panels off... which you'd need to get in the air to remove.

Brian Huber
                        Previous Corvettes
                        2002 Z06 - SCCA autocross car - 58SSR ( Sold 4/20 )
                        2003 Vert - Wife's stress relief/therapy car ( Sold 7/20 )

2021 Coupe Black #6936 - Natural two-tone. 2LT, Mag-ride, NPP, Edge Red Calipers. NCM delivery ( Status 3000 as of 1/11/21 , 3300 as of 2/16/21, 3400 as of 3/9/21, 3800 as of 3/15/21, NCM Delivery 3/29)

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X