X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LJT
    Sr. Contributor
    • Dec 2019

I purchased these leave in jack pucks (red for a silver car). If my car were red, I would order blue. Beveled to not catch on any road surface 9/16 in in depth.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BNHNG7J...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• Whoya5555
      Contributing Member
      • Aug 2019

Originally posted by LJT
      I purchased these leave in jack pucks (red for a silver car). If my car were red, I would order blue. Beveled to not catch on any road surface 9/16 in in depth.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BNHNG7J...ing=UTF8&psc=1
      Please follow up on how they work - I would love to find a more permanent solution like that (especially one of a distinct color) to be able to simply tell mechanic's: "Please be sure and use the BLUE jacking puck locations under the car."

Comment

• ZoraC2
        Sr. Contributor
        • Apr 2019

I bought the same set, not taking any chances! I got red, I'll also have a jack point diagram printout on the drivers seat and mention to the service attendant as well. Never assume anything.
        2020 C8 | 2LT | GKZ Torch Red | Z51 Performance Pckg | FE4 Mag Ride | J6F Red Caliper | C2Z Carbon Roof | AE4 Competition Seats | FA5 Carbon Interior | E60 Front Lift | ZZ3 Engine Appearance Pckg | 5ZU High Wing Spoiler | SPY Black Lug Nuts | 5JR Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps | VQK Front/Rear Splash Guards | RCC Red Engine Cover

Comment

• mekonixsystems
          • Jun 2020

Thank you for sharing this..

Comment

• Marvin Rush
            • Feb 2020

If you wish to store your C8 over the winter and want to get the wheels off the ground so they don't spend 5 months on one side. Given that there are only four jacking points ... how do you do it?

Comment

• C8broughtmeback
              Senior Contributing Member & Patron
              • Sep 2019
              • Philadelphia suburbs

I have never used jack stands. Is there a way to put the C8 on 4 jack stands using one jack?

Comment

• 16falcon
                Senior Contributor
                • Dec 2019
                • Central Texas

Originally posted by C8broughtmeback
                I have never used jack stands. Is there a way to put the C8 on 4 jack stands using one jack?
                I did see where you can use a U-Jack to jack up the car and slide the “T” of a jack stand under the puck and then lower it back down onto the jack stand. But, I’ve been told that the pucks do not work very well (are not very stable) on a jack stand “T” and that I should use jack stands with a “cup” instead of a “T”. I’m not sure how much truth in that, just what I was told. Long story short, I haven’t decided exactly how I am going to do it. It’s not like I jack the car up very often.

Powerbuilt is the manufacturer of the U-Jack.

Comment

• John
                  co-founder/admin
                  • Jun 2018
                  • PNW

Originally posted by Marvin Rush
                  If you wish to store your C8 over the winter and want to get the wheels off the ground so they don't spend 5 months on one side. Given that there are only four jacking points ... how do you do it?
                  Not answering this question directly but let me address the why/need behind the concept of desirably to get the wheels off the ground so the tires do not spend 5 month on one small part of their tread.

Taking this apart as to history/need first, here are some no cost or so-low-cost much simpler and much safer suggestions.

True that years ago when tires were 100% rubber and even as they evolved to some early compounds, if you did not jack them up over the window, they would flat spot.

However there is no longer any need to spend time and energy and put you and your car at risk by winter jacking up your car.

First, tires are so vastly improved. Second, just put 40 PSI in each tire before you walk away from them before the start if winter — and unless you have a flat tire for something like a value failure or seal bead failure, it will never flat spot. Then in the spring, adjust your tires to proper PSI. I have done this for over ten years on several vehicles and while they loose the proverbial one pound per month from air leaking through the sidewalls, there are routinely still a few pounds above what I want to adjust them to in the spring. And no one has ever flat spotted.

Lastly, some still are concerned from their tires sitting on concrete for five months without moving, feeling the concrete itself, especially if damp, can adversely effect the tires’ chemical stability/longevity. I think this is way over exaggerated but if you feel it is real, here is what I would do.

Go to a carpet store and ask them if they have any old samples they are about to throw out or they would sell you for $ 1 each. Buy twelve for each car (three year’s worth). When your are ready to store your car for the winter, take and park it roughly 12” behind where you want to store it for the winter. Take a carpet sample and put it immediately in front of every wheel.

Take one HD contractor trash bag or other piece of plastic (such as a painting drop cloth), cut it into pieces a few inches big than your carpet samples, tuck one edge under the side you are first going to roll onto, then drive forward. Ergo, you tires will not only not in contact with the concrete, and thus even if your concrete is damp from seepage your tires will remain dry;’ and, your tires will spend their winter sleeping on a soft cushiony surface. Again for this last step it is also critical you first pump up your tires to 40 PSI before your park your vehicle for the winter (whether it is a Corvette or any other vehicle who winter hibernates).
                  2023 Z06: Elkhart Lake Blue, 2-tone blue interior, HTC, Standard Z06 with Z07 aero pkg, CCB’s, 3LZ, E60, every visible carbon fiber option including wheels, & Jake Design Pkg. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 25 year NCM members. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

• Marvin Rush
                    • Feb 2020

John. Thanks for the info. I take your advice on not needing to take the car off the ground for the winter. I'm still curious how you would do it. As I see it there are only four points for jacking. If you don't have a lift in your garage and want to spend some time under the car ... how do you do it?

Comment

• LJT
                      Sr. Contributor
                      • Dec 2019

page 249 in the C8 owners manual:
                      Caution
                      High performance summer tires have rubber compounds that lose flexibility and may develop surface cracks in the tread area at temperatures below −7 °C
                      (20 °F). Always store high performance summer tires indoors and at temperatures above −7 °C (20 °F) when not in use. If the tires have been subjected to −7 °C (20 °F) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 5 °C (40 °F) for 24 hours or more before being installed or driving a vehicle on which they are installed. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use.

Comment

• John
                        co-founder/admin
                        • Jun 2018
                        • PNW

Originally posted by Marvin Rush
                        John. Thanks for the info. I take your advice on not needing to take the car off the ground for the winter. I'm still curious how you would do it. As I see it there are only four points for jacking. If you don't have a lift in your garage and want to spend some time under the car ... how do you do it?
                        Good question and I do not have a lift. The rare times I lift my car I do it the following way. Since I have a OEM large from splitter, I want to raise the front of my car first. I use my aluminum low rise floor jack, with my ReverseLogic jacking puck and jack up either front corner to the height that I can put a 4”x12” by 15” long wooden block under that tire. I lower the jack, and then do the opposite front corner identically. Then I move to the back and do each corner in sequence. IF I want more height, I would instead use my 6”x12”x15” long blocks, and in extreme cases, might use both on each corner (but this would be a complete two sequential step process first with one thickness blocks all around, then doubling back to additionally insert the second, different thickness blocks all around. Since I did not wish to get crushed at any time, I am never under my car with its wheels on blocks, and always before going under it, I use my aluminum jack stands with the jacking pucks as double insurance.

Those who have RaceRamps know that your method is quicker but I do not have room to store them the rare times I used them and gave them to a friend.

There was a quicker way for the C7 but I have never checked that you can safely do a C8 this way. That was to put the jack straight in from the front, along the car’s exact side-to-side centerline, with then on the top of it end jack’s “cradle cup” then placing a 2”x8”x12” fir block onto it and placing where the C7 manual said you could Under a front aluminum cross member (and making sure I did not pinch or touch anything not approved), jack up the front end first, then put put the blocks in as per the first paragraph, then do the same for the rear end of the car. This saved two jacking processes, but again I do not know if this is approved for the C8? Anyone know?

I too would love to learn how others do it with their C8’s who also do not have a lift.
                        2023 Z06: Elkhart Lake Blue, 2-tone blue interior, HTC, Standard Z06 with Z07 aero pkg, CCB’s, 3LZ, E60, every visible carbon fiber option including wheels, & Jake Design Pkg. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 25 year NCM members. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

• John
                          co-founder/admin
                          • Jun 2018
                          • PNW

I am still exploring getting an extended length 5000EXT series Quick Jack. BTW in spite of repeat communications with them, they have ignored my attempts to get them to give us a coupon for all of us MECF members.

BTW, if I do not end up getting a Quick Jack, I will be using the above method for changing out my winter wheel/tire set with my 9 month of the year wheel/tire set.

Comment

• Klinn
                            Sr. Contributor
                            • May 2019

Originally posted by John
                            True that years ago when tires were 100% rubber and even as they evolved to some early compounds, if you did not jack them up over the window, they would flat spot. However there is no longer any need to spend time and energy and put you and your car at risk by winter jacking up your car. First, tires are so vastly improved.
                            I was about to post the same thing. Tires are so much better these days. I've winter stored my sports cars for over 15 years and never had a flat spot develop on a summer tire.

Edit: LJT, I'll be interested to see if the warnings regarding cracking are true for the Pilot Sport's. It's certainly an issue with softer autocross tires or something like Cup 2's but I would be surprised if it happens to a regular street summer tire. A close inspection in spring will tell the tale. I may end up helping my tire guy's kids through college.
                            Last edited by Klinn; 07-31-2020, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• pksjc
                              Senior Contributor
                              • Oct 2019
                              • North Texas

Originally posted by John
                              I am still exploring getting an extended length 5000EXT series Quick Jack. BTW in spite of repeat communications with them, they have ignored my attempts to get them to give us a coupon for all of us MECF members.

BTW, if I do not end up getting a Quick Jack, I will be using the above method for changing out my winter wheel/tire set with my 9 month of the year wheel/tire set.
                              Hi guys. This is how we got our group deal from Quickjack. One of our friends was at the SEMA show a few years ago and talked to the salesman. Told him we had 3 buyers ready to go if the price was right and he gave us a decent discount. Took all of our names and cell numbers from our friend at SEMA and called each one of us on the spot. We confirmed our intent to buy and he gave all three of us the deal, we gave him our credit card and shipping address and it was done.

So you may be able to do it without the coupon if you can gather a list of members that are ready to buy. Give the sales guy the list of names, jack model, and shipping address and see how low they'll go.

Comment

• John
                                co-founder/admin
                                • Jun 2018
                                • PNW

Excellent idea. Thank you pksjc!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...