MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Engine Bay 12v Source? Any Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post
    If you were replying to me, the fuse block generally has empty spots where one can tap into. I did this when I wired LED daytime running lights on my Camaro. I simply ran a wire into the empty spot and held it in place with a fuse. I didn't tap into any wires. The empty spots on the fuse black have a hot on one side and nothing on the other. I found one that was switched with ignition on.
    Murray ... was replying to shawnguess, who was having questions about a battery-based concept for engine bay lighting. Murray seems to be more detailed info early in this thread about the back fuse block.
    TPW 2/17 .. Shadow Gray Metallic w/Natural, 3LT, Z51, Mag, Lift, Spectra Gray Trident, Edge Red Calipers, Body Color Accents.

Past owned: 1984 C4, Medium Gray Metallic, Coupe, VIN# 1004; 1981 C3 White Coupe; 1980 C3 Dark Claret, Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by bpost22 View Post

Murray ... was replying to shawnguess, who was having questions about a battery-based concept for engine bay lighting.
      OOPs, seem to be too many threads. I got bounced around so much I got dizzy and light headed. Please note the pun.
      Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
      Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

If you were replying to me, the fuse block generally has empty spots where one can tap into. I did this when I wired LED daytime running lights on my Camaro. I simply ran a wire into the empty spot and held it in place with a fuse. I didn't tap into any wires. The empty spots on the fuse black have a hot on one side and nothing on the other. I found one that was switched with ignition on.
        Murray ... numerous reference to switched-on power for the engine bay lighting. What about lighting the engine bay when the car is not switched on? Seems there is interest in that. Perhaps a controller that shuts off lighting by a programmable setting? LED lighting is not too power consuming, although a controller might be some drain.
        TPW 2/17 .. Shadow Gray Metallic w/Natural, 3LT, Z51, Mag, Lift, Spectra Gray Trident, Edge Red Calipers, Body Color Accents.

Past owned: 1984 C4, Medium Gray Metallic, Coupe, VIN# 1004; 1981 C3 White Coupe; 1980 C3 Dark Claret, Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by bpost22 View Post

Murray ... numerous reference to switched-on power for the engine bay lighting. What about lighting the engine bay when the car is not switched on? Seems there is interest in that. Perhaps a controller that shuts off lighting by a programmable setting? LED lighting is not too power consuming, although a controller might be some drain.
          A quick google search found several 12 volt timers.
          There is likely an unswitched fuse location as well.
          There may even be timers that have an app for your phone.
          Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
          Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

A quick google search found several 12 volt timers.
            There is likely an unswitched fuse location as well.
            There may even be timers that have an app for your phone.
            Saw “rock” lighting, made for vehicle undercarriage lighting, as candidate solution ... certainly rugged and waterproof. Some have a remote bluetooth remote, some have a smart phone app. They have timers on them. Saw one on a FB C8 Group already implemented. No insight on how it was wired up yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWGTFHG..._wu8EEbZ3E5VD5

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VPT1XM1..._RC8EEb81Z4ZDQ
            Last edited by bpost22; 03-25-2020, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Be simple to make a PCB or even with just a Single pole, double throw switch so that switch one position is LEDS to a non switched 12 volt source and
              the other position to a switched source so LEDs controlled either way

This way if wanting the LEDs on when car is off set switch to unswitched position and if wanting to go off when car is off then
              used switched position

Or could use a 3 positron rotary switch where one is no voltage to LEDS as any time

Clearly then add whatever wanted to a timed, pulsing, etc design

Click image for larger version  Name:	DesLEDS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.5 KB ID:	131074
              Last edited by Teamzr1; 03-25-2020, 06:00 PM.
              Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
              1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

Is there not a fuse block in the engine compartment? Most cars, if not all, that I've seen, has a fuse block in the engine compartment as well as an accessory fuse block in the cabin. That's usually where the headlight fuses and assorted relays are. Being mid engined that could all change of course. I don't have a C8 so I can't look.
                The owner's manual seems to reference only two fuse blocks, one behind the glove box, and one under the speaker in the waterfall (behind the phone holder). If there is a fusebox in the engine bay, we're not sure where it is.
                SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

No fuse box in engine bay, the one on bulkhead between seats also support the engine functions
                  Should be easy to do what is needed to get wires through bulkhead where the main wire loom goes from engine bay to that fuse panel
                  Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                  1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X