Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Will you be Disappointed if your E-Ray will not have ANY EV-Only Range?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will you be Disappointed if your E-Ray will not have ANY EV-Only Range?

    Click image for larger version

Name:	2%20Chevrolet%20Corvette%20Stingray%20hybrid.png
Views:	337
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	377226

    Chevrolet can go with a very small 1-2kWh battery pack, or a larger 8-10kWh battery pack in the E-Ray.

    If it will have the small pack, it would most certainly not be a PHEV, or Plug In Hybrid Vehicle. The battery bank would just be recharged by the LT2 and regenerative braking.

    If it has the larger bank, it would most certainly be a PHEV.

    Even if it will have the larger 8-10kWh battery pack, that is still only less than a a tenth of the capacity and weight of a battery pack in a full BEV, such as a Tesla Model S. So the E-Ray will not weigh 5000+ pounds.

    Why this is a big deal is that with a PHEV and its larger battery bank, one could have some minimal (10-30 miles) of electric-only range.

    Will you be Disappointed if your E-Ray is not a PHEV, and will not have Any EV-Only Range?

    Bob Sliwa
    "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
    Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
    Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

    2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
    2023-2024? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

  • #2
    I could care less about extended electric-only range that PHEVs can provide, but I'm hoping to be able to start silently and creep out of my neighborhood at under 30mph.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jackfrostpdx View Post
      I could care less about extended electric-only range that PHEVs can provide, but I'm hoping to be able to start silently and creep out of my neighborhood at under 30mph.
      It's not just extended EV-only range.

      Unless your E-Ray will be a PHEV, it won't have any EV-only range. Not even enough to get out of your neighborhood at only 30mph.
      Bob Sliwa
      "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
      Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
      Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

      2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
      2023-2024? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd prefer a plugin hybrid of some sort, but wont be too terribly disappointed if it's only a performance hybrid. As its primary mission is a high performance sports car, I think it'll be performance hybrid where the LT2 is on all the time.

        Comment


        • #5
          My daughter’s non-plug in 3,800 pound RAV4 awd hybrid, gets 38 MPG summer, 32 MPG with its true winter snow tires on. There are going to be lots of nice advantages to the E-Ray. Of course the C8 will be using most of its extra capacities for better performance, and then secondarily for better mileage.

          E-Ray’s are going to ROCK!
          Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Shepherd777 View Post

            It's not just extended EV-only range.

            Unless your E-Ray will be a PHEV, it won't have any EV-only range. Not even enough to get out of your neighborhood at only 30mph.
            Sure it can…
            …just drive out of your neighborhood in reverse!
            😆

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Shepherd777 View Post
              Click image for larger version

Name:	2%20Chevrolet%20Corvette%20Stingray%20hybrid.png
Views:	337
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	377226

              Chevrolet can go with a very small 1-2kWh battery pack, or a larger 8-10kWh battery pack in the E-Ray.

              If it will have the small pack, it would most certainly not be a PHEV, or Plug In Hybrid Vehicle. The battery bank would just be recharged by the LT2 and regenerative braking.

              If it has the larger bank, it would most certainly be a PHEV.

              Even if it will have the larger 8-10kWh battery pack, that is still only less than a a tenth of the capacity and weight of a battery pack in a full BEV, such as a Tesla Model S. So the E-Ray will not weigh 5000+ pounds.

              Why this is a big deal is that with a PHEV and its larger battery bank, one could have some minimal (10-30 miles) of electric-only range.

              Will you be Disappointed if your E-Ray is not a PHEV, and will not have Any EV-Only Range?
              YES. It would be the engineering/marketing mistake of the century. A 12 kWh battery would weigh @ 100 lbs and costs @$1500. With the right motors it will give you a 0-60 under 2.5. It will give you a MPGe of over 50. It could dramatically increase your real world mpg. The soft costs - R&D is virtually identical going with a PHEV vs mild hybrid. So the real question is why would they not go with a PHEV? Save a little weight and a little money? The costs vs analysis basis makes it a no brainer. The ONLY rational reason would be if they don't have the battery production capacity. Ask ANYONE who is actually interested in buying the ERay if they would pay an extra $3,000 for all the improvements a PHEV will give you. And for marketing you "introduce" plugging in a car although you don't have to and give a taste of real electric power

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by msm859 View Post

                YES. It would be the engineering/marketing mistake of the century. A 12 kWh battery would weigh @ 100 lbs and costs @$1500. With the right motors it will give you a 0-60 under 2.5. It will give you a MPGe of over 50. It could dramatically increase your real world mpg. The soft costs - R&D is virtually identical going with a PHEV vs mild hybrid. So the real question is why would they not go with a PHEV? Save a little weight and a little money? The costs vs analysis basis makes it a no brainer. The ONLY rational reason would be if they don't have the battery production capacity. Ask ANYONE who is actually interested in buying the ERay if they would pay an extra $3,000 for all the improvements a PHEV will give you. And for marketing you "introduce" plugging in a car although you don't have to and give a taste of real electric power
                I mostly agree with you msm859, and in my case, you're preaching to the choir.

                And I think that you are actually overestimating the costs and weight of the battery bank. Ultium modules usually come in 8kWh capacities and I think that would be a great size unit for the PHEV E-Ray. GM is shooting for less than $100 per kWh for the Ultium batteries. So in an E-Ray, the battery cost alone would be less than $800.

                An 8kWh Ultium battery module in an E-Ray would only weigh 66 pounds. Each cell is 0.37kWh and weighs 3 pounds. So 22 cells in your E-Ray module would be 8.14kWh for that 66 pounds.

                Bob Sliwa
                "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
                Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
                Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

                2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
                2023-2024? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

                Comment


                • #9
                  No.

                  I would like to see some MPG benefit when not romping on it (Prius mode, LOL), but it's a performance car that I'm interested in because of the AWD potential. I'd be interested in the car if it was pure ICE with AWD and some extra HP, if the weight was controlled.

                  If it has some EV range that will be nice if gas prices continue to climb, but not a deal breaker if it doesn't.
                  2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

                  Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

                  Member, Old Dominion Corvette Club https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wouldnt be disappointed if it didnt have an all electric mode yet I believe it will. If Im not mistaken the acura nsx had an all electric mode.

                    Seems to be all the rage in europe these days.

                    I believe the E RAy will lead the ultium advertising campaign to build excitement throughout GEneral Motors potential customers.

                    with that said it will be stated the Ultimum equipped out accelerates to 60 mph faster than the mighty z06 with its highest specific output per cubic inch naturally aspirated v8 that General motors has ever made,


                    I dont believe the eray will be a plug in but I do believe it will have an all electric mode. IT will part of the advertising campaign to promote GM ultium brand of electrics.




                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Probably the only time I'd really care about electric-only would be o those rare occasions I leave the house at 0-dark-30. Might be nice to get a block or two away from my close neighbors before firing up the LT2. I consider it a nice-to-have, but not a deal-breaker if it's not there.

                      But I would be surprised if it's not a PHEV. GM is pushing the benefits of electrification, and being able to generate higher MPG figures would both help GM's fleet average calcs and be a marketing boost.
                      Last edited by meyerweb; 05-14-2022, 07:47 PM.
                      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

                      Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

                      Never grow up - It's a trap.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Several of my neighbors joke about hearing me fire up my cars, but have not said it bothers them. We live on 1 acre lots so the homes are pretty far apart too. If it bothers them, I'll just start the car up with the garage door down... Problem solved as having good neighbors and friends is worth a little inconvenience for me.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Like other responses this would NOT bother me. I’m driving my current ‘21 SR in Sport Mode and using manual shifting ALL THE TIME so the likelihood of me using electric-only is slim-to-none! I’m just hoping for an acceleration boost due to low end torque of electric motors. It would be nice to have I guess, but wouldn’t use it much I suspect.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by John View Post
                            My daughter’s non-plug in 3,800 pound RAV4 awd hybrid, gets 38 MPG summer, 32 MPG with its true winter snow tires on. There are going to be lots of nice advantages to the E-Ray. Of course the C8 will be using most of its extra capacities for better performance, and then secondarily for better mileage.

                            E-Ray’s are going to ROCK!
                            Actually the RAV4 is the strongest argument of why the ERay should be a PHEV. That RAV 4 comes in 2 electric flavors - mild hybrid and PHEV. The PHEV gets substantially better mpg AND it is way quicker - 0 - 60 is 5.4 in the PHEV vs 7.3 in the mild hybrid!
                            https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicl...-60-mph-times/

                            Other than the Supra (which some may argue is a disguised BMW) it is the fastest Toyota. A PHEV with the larger battery just opens up way more benefits.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I agree and why we got the plug in version. There are literally weeks in a row doing our local errands that we exclusively use its battery power. It is 4,300 pounds and yet it “scoots” when I hammer the throttle.” Still allowed us since we sold our C8 two months ago, to drive +5,000 miles to the Bash and back just like a regular ICE. Used its AWD when we hit snow in the Rockies on the way home. We love our RAV4 Prime!
                              Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

                              Comment

                              MECF_728x90_bottom

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X