Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #115 - Corvette News & Headlines, Late June 2022

We've got the latest News & Headlines in the world of Corvette for you every other week! Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger is back to give you the inside scoop on what's happening. https://youtu.be/ZnVdDJHYDxo; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...2cqLUlcMmj6m4x
Here are a few of the topics covered on next week's podcast....
C8 Z06 benchmarked Porsche, Audi, Ferrari and McLaren
Chevrolet raises prices on 2023 C8 Stingray
Chevrolet adds DCT transmission filter life to maintenance tab on 2023 Corvettes
Chevy offers "Dark Stealth" crossed flags for 2023 Corvettes
WEC drops GTE Pro class for 2023 and introduces GTE Premium for 2024
Chevrolet is offering Dark Stealth Crossed Flags for the 2023 Corvettes
Is Corvette is scheduled for an interior refresh in 2024?
Chevrolet to offer 1 of 1 Mint Green Z06 in first NFT Auction
GM releases 2 more videos about the C8 Z06
This Friday, July 1st, is "Drive Your Corvette To Work" Day!

Don't miss a single episode of CORVETTE TODAY on podcast and YouTube. Each week's episode launches on Monday at 12 midnight Eastern Time.
2 of 2 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Can GM Hot-Rod the Ultium Front-Assist Motor in your E-Ray for MORE Horsepower???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can GM Hot-Rod the Ultium Front-Assist Motor in your E-Ray for MORE Horsepower???

Click image for larger version  Name:	2024 Corvette E-Ray.jpg Views:	5 Size:	154.3 KB ID:	376880

The short answer is "yes, possibly", but it's a little trickier than say changing the jets on your 1967 C2 big block carburetor.

As we have noted in the past, the GM front-assist unit normally makes 83 horsepower. But what if GM could hot-rod the front-assist unit and get close to that 166 horsepower of a speculated two motor front-assist unit? That would be the best for those of us that would not like to sacrifice any frunk volume to get that higher rating.

The idea is simple, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the electric machines themselves. It all has to do with the Ultium battery module.

The formula to rate horsepower for an electric machine is simply amps x voltage. So if the Ultium front-assist normally runs at 400 volts to produce that 83 horsepower, it would need a battery that produces 155 amps to make that much power. 155 amps x 400 volts = 62,000. 62,000 watts (62kW) divided by 746 (the Watts in one horsepower) = 83.10 horsepower from the Ultium front-assist unit in your new E-Ray.

But what if GM could gang-up the cells of the Ultium battery in a parallel configuration in the center tunnel of your E-Ray? Parallel configurations in battery packs doubles the amperage. Running two battery packs in series doubles the voltage. But we are looking for more amps to make more power.

What if the GM EE's could do some electrical engineering alchemy to get say, 280 amps from that Ultium module. Now the formula would be 280 amps x 400 volts = 112,000 Watts of power. 112,000 divided by that one horsepower figure of 746 Watts comes out to 150 horsepower.

Bingo! Now you don't have to lose the frunk with a double electric motor configuration to get an additional 67 horsepower from the front-assist unit for a total of 150 electric horsepower.

Some of the above is speculation of course. We currently don't know what voltage the front-assist unit will run at and we are assuming the industry standard of 400 volts. Many OEM's like Porsche are going up to 800 volts, and Lucid runs at a whopping 924 volts! But 400 was used in this example. And we don't know how many amps are in the Ultium modules.

What we do know is GM has precedent for ganging-up Ultium modules in series and parallel to get higher voltages and amperages. The Hummer EV normally runs at 400 volts, with the two banks of 12 module batteries running in parallel for massive amperage. That's one factor in their 3 second 0-60 ***, or Watts To Freedom mode. But when charging, the battery configuration automatically changes to a series configuration to charge at a much faster 800 volts. GM is the only OEM doing this trick AFAIK.

So will the electrical engineering wizards at GM be able to create a souped-up Ultium front-assist unit for us hot rodders?

And if a 9000 pound Hummer does a 3 second 0-60 time, how quick will your C9 be?
    Last edited by Shepherd777; 05-12-2022, 06:32 PM.
    Bob Sliwa
    "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
    Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
    Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
    2023-2024? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

So much ahead of us that is new. Exciting that we are going to have exciting new options too.
    Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

However, I suspect 2 separate motors would make it easier to have torque vectoring. And actually I want more than 166 hp. I want "decent" 0-50 times so that you can happily drive around town in electric only mode. Maybe a 10 second "turbo" boost to the motor(s). I also suspect it is quite possible they could get 2 motors in there with little if any problems with the frunk.

Comment

Anyone think The Eray e ray will have a battery only drive mode?

whats the tq on the 83 hp electric motor?

adding that under the peak numbers of the lt2 should be quite impressive.

with the factory warranty in effect I dont think Id be hot rodding the eray but rather just buy the zr1 or zora from GM.

the pitfalls of aftermarket modifications outside factory support are too great in my opinion.

i usually have 20 years between modding cars and i have another 5 to go down that Rabbit hole

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
          Anyone think The Eray e ray will have a battery only drive mode?

whats the tq on the 83 hp electric motor?
          I hope so, on the former question.

Some info on the torque question here: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ow-much-torque
          Bob Sliwa
          "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
          Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!

Comment

I wonder if the ERay front drive hardware is what Cadillac is using for the Lyriq AWD model? It is claimed to have an incremental 160HP when front wheel drive is added. I don't see much detail about whether it involves one or two motors (most say only 1 up front) but it does use Ultium batteries and motors.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty32 View Post
              I wonder if the ERay front drive hardware is what Cadillac is using for the Lyriq AWD model? It is claimed to have an incremental 160HP when front wheel drive is added. I don't see much detail about whether it involves one or two motors (most say only 1 up front) but it does use Ultium batteries and motors.
              That's a great question.

The only published data that I know of are these specs from MotorTrend below. Sorry about the quality of the image as that's the best I could sharpen it up.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultium Motor Specs.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	378369

It shows the Lyric will indeed use the Ultium front-assist unit, which is what we presume will be installed in the E-Ray.

But it also shows total horsepower at 400, while Caddy just announced the other day that the AWD model will be 500 horsepower.

So the plot thickens....
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Shepherd777; 05-19-2022, 08:12 PM.
              Bob Sliwa

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty32 View Post
                And of further interest on the Lyriq the price difference of adding the motor(s) up front is only $2,000. So GM can turn the ERay to AWD with 160 hp up front for $2,000 add a 10 kWh battery for @$1300 + plug etc for @$1000. Should be able to make the ERay for an extra @$4,000 in the mechanics plus any body/tire/wheel changes.

Comment

Originally posted by msm859 View Post

And of further interest on the Lyriq the price difference of adding the motor(s) up front is only $2,000. So GM can turn the ERay to AWD with 160 hp up front for $2,000 add a 10 kWh battery for @$1300 + plug etc for @$1000. Should be able to make the ERay for an extra @$4,000 in the mechanics plus any body/tire/wheel changes.
                  Some of us here appreciate your E-Ray enthusiasm, including myself.

But I think it's too soon to say if the front-assist in the E-Ray will be 160 horsepower, even though that what the Caddy appears to have for an upgrade. If that Caddy figure is correct, then we know Chevy could "soup-up" the front-assist unit to a higher than normal rating as it would have extra head room.

And for that $2k upcharge on the Caddy, there is already a charge port, a cooling system, on-board charger, etc. all of which need to be added to the E-Ray.

I still think you are aiming a little too high on the battery capacity and cost, and I think it will be around 8kWh as all of the Ultium modules are roughly 8kWh. I think 8kWh is the sweet spot for the E-Ray. That's not to say that Chevy could not build any size module they deem fit by utilizing the cells in different configurations. And the cost of the battery itself should be less than $800.

Of course, I could be completely wrong on all of the above because nobody outside of GM knows for sure.

But again, some of us here appreciate your E-Ray enthusiasm, including myself.
                  Bob Sliwa

Comment

GM may not have revealed every Ultium motor they intend to produce. They could even source a couple of smaller motors from a supplier to mount side by side and simply call them “Ultium” motors. The frunk is well forward of the motor mounts so no worries about loss of cargo space, but that unfortunate rumor will persist until the E-Ray reveal.

I will be disappointed if the E-Ray only has a single front motor since it’d be a missed opportunity for torque vectoring. An LSD would seem kind of primitive in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by electroVette View Post
                      I will be disappointed if the E-Ray only has a single front motor since it’d be a missed opportunity for torque vectoring. An LSD would seem kind of primitive in comparison.
                      I too, and lots of other folks, will be disappointed if they only use a single electric machine.

But an eLSD, similar to what we have in the C8 may be useful. I trust the GM engineers to figure out the best solutions.
                      Bob Sliwa

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X