Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #109 - Corvette News & Headlines, Mid-May 2022

Join your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com and they discuss what’s happening with America’s Sports Car. https://youtu.be/LY-bD8tscBs; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...HXCQFbRpXxWPtK
1. Hard Top Convertibles now account for 48% of Corvette orders
2. Here are the most popular Corvette colors of 2022
3. 70th anniversary models delayed because of wheel constraints
4. Export versions of the C8 Z06 with corner mounted exhaust will be exported
5. The 2023 Stingray/Z06 Owner’s Manual available for download
6. The 2023 C8 Z06 is the official Pace Car for the Indianapolis 500
7. Corvette Racing’s drivers take a C8 Stingray on the track at Spring Mountain
8. Corvette Hall Of Fame inductees announced
9. Corvette is the AutoCar 2022 Dream Car of the Year

CORVETTE TODAY is the best way to stay current on what’s happening with Corvette! Don’t miss this episode…..

LISTEN TO THE PODCAST, WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO, SIGN UP FOR EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS AND JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP AT:

www.CorvetteTodayPodcast.com
2 of 2 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Would You Give Up Your Entire Frunk for Dual Front-Assist Motors in Your E-Ray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes !!!!!!!!
    2021 HTC Red Mist, Carbon Flash Nacelles / Roof, Natural TwoTone int,GT2 Seats, Z51,Yellow calipers, Midnight Gray Stripe, Midnight Silver Hash Marks, FE4, NPP, E60 Lift, Rocker panel extensions
    Vettes owned 1998, 2000, 2014 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
      Not getting an E-Ray, However even without the Frunk there is enough room in the Rear Trunk for a 2 Seat Sports Car. Enough room back there for 2 persons clothes to go on a 2 week trip. And if they need more let them put a hitch on it with a small cargo carrier on the hitch.

Better yet - Who's going to come up with a C8 Trailer ??? You know similar to what the Prowlers had.
      Travelled to the NCM 25th anniversary with this guy (or someone with the same trailer without the decals).

Click image for larger version

Name:	a3c0ec51341aae449566aa82443fddfb--trailers-super-cars.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	376856
      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

It’s not an extra 166 HP, it’s two extra drive wheels with 100% torque (whatever that number is) available at zero rpm. That is why the acceleration will improve. These cars, like most cars, overpower the rear wheels and traction control is almost always relied upon. Drive a 500plus HP classic car like mine with skinny tires without any electronic help and you realize that dry pavement is really just as slick as ice.

I’m guessing that off the line the 2wd vette can only use about 60% of its torque, throw in the electric motors and you’ve probably almost doubled or at least increased dramatically the useable torque at launch.

I’d give up the Frunk in a minute to launch better.
        Last edited by Fishfryer; 05-12-2022, 08:48 PM.

Comment

QQQQSINCE the targa uses up the entire rear trunk in a near vertical position the front frunk is important for. DAILY driving dutys...ie food shopping or buying anything like clothes etc

the htc with roof detracted still keeps the full rear trunk

decreasing the depth of the frunk would be fine on the targa but complete removal should be on htc s only unless you really want a sunday only kind of ownership experience.

for the grandsport replacement which is supposedly the eray Id think some front frunk space would be a smarter play.

its really not total hp and tq but rather hp and tq under the curve in all rpm ranges that the 83 hp ultium powerplant will be valuable in performance.

dual motors may not be preferred as it might put too much power at the front steering wheels. 83 hp and much more added tq might be better for a more balanced handling equation.

on many occasions more can be less meaning two motors might be too much and cause more understeer etc..

i would prefer a front frunk even if slightly shallower with an 83 hp single electric motor for the grand sport replacement.

lets get that price down to midway between the stingray z51 with mrc shocks and the base msrp of the z06

two motors would cost more for sure.

the wodebody with 460 hp in the c7 grand sport was an excellent seller for gm.

we may see two fron motors on c8 s priced higher than the z06 but price value relationships on the eray / grandsport would suggest one motor is all thats needed.

corvette engineers should concentrate on adding a jet turbine sound when accelerating in sport mode if they want new corvette owners to clamor for the eray as another runaway hit.

lt2 roar with a jet turbine electic sound like the rivian which I hear has a very cool electric motor sound would be a big win.

i realize many think I am speaking sacrilege yet as an owner of an electric vehicle that makes the jet turbine sound as you accelerate...it cracks me up.

thinking outsode the box can often lead to insane demand.

Im going to carlisle and torture the Corvette leadership with a few laughs on the value of adding jet turbine sound to the eray in sport mode

​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
            QQQQSINCE the targa uses up the entire rear trunk in a near vertical position the front frunk is important for. DAILY driving dutys...ie food shopping or buying anything like clothes etc

the htc with roof detracted still keeps the full rear trunk

decreasing the depth of the frunk would be fine on the targa but complete removal should be on htc s only unless you really want a sunday only kind of ownership experience.

for the grandsport replacement which is supposedly the eray Id think some front frunk space would be a smarter play.

its really not total hp and tq but rather hp and tq under the curve in all rpm ranges that the 83 hp ultium powerplant will be valuable in performance.

dual motors may not be preferred as it might put too much power at the front steering wheels. 83 hp and much more added tq might be better for a more balanced handling equation.

on many occasions more can be less meaning two motors might be too much and cause more understeer etc..

i would prefer a front frunk even if slightly shallower with an 83 hp single electric motor for the grand sport replacement.

lets get that price down to midway between the stingray z51 with mrc shocks and the base msrp of the z06

two motors would cost more for sure.

the wodebody with 460 hp in the c7 grand sport was an excellent seller for gm.

we may see two fron motors on c8 s priced higher than the z06 but price value relationships on the eray / grandsport would suggest one motor is all thats needed.

corvette engineers should concentrate on adding a jet turbine sound when accelerating in sport mode if they want new corvette owners to clamor for the eray as another runaway hit.

lt2 roar with a jet turbine electic sound like the rivian which I hear has a very cool electric motor sound would be a big win.

i realize many think I am speaking sacrilege yet as an owner of an electric vehicle that makes the jet turbine sound as you accelerate...it cracks me up.

thinking outsode the box can often lead to insane demand.

Im going to carlisle and torture the Corvette leadership with a few laughs on the value of adding jet turbine sound to the eray in sport mode
            I would disagree. The Ferrari SF90 has 2 electric motors up front total over 200 hp. The Corvette can easily handle 2 electric motors of 83 hp - I want more. I want it to be able to realistically drive around town in electric power only. The SF90 with 3 electric motors does 0-60 in @ 9 seconds. I am not looking for performance records in electric only, but at 83 hp, no one is going to drive in ev mode only. If they want high MPGe numbers (or more important real improvement) they will need more than a single 83 hp motor. But I do like your jet turbine sound idea

Comment

Would give it up in a heartbeat... I see GM going all out on this Puppy via it being the first and last Hybrid Corvette... It makes no sense for them to half-step...

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                No. Wouldn't even consider it. My Corvette isn't just a toy. I tour in it, I daily drive in it, and (not overly hot) luggage space matters.

But I don't believe the question is valid. It appears there is plenty of space behind the frunk bucket for the assist motor(s) and half shafts.
                I am with Meyerweb. NO. The car needs a Frunk and with 500 HP, it is fast enough for me on the street. If I lived by a nice track like Spring Mountain and wanted to use the car frequently on Track Days, I would get a Z06. Trading frunk space for electric motors does not have a "use case" for me. If I could get 80 HP without giving up the frunk, I might do it.

Comment

My C8 is a daily driver for a year and then it will be a garage queen and road tripper. So for my use case, I would not consider a C8 with no front trunk.

No right/wrong here fellas… all depends on use case which is an indicidual thing… like any option (especially color options).
                  Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    I would only accept all wheel drive with electric motors upfront if I ordered a htc and even then it would probably not get my money. This car is quick enough and whether its one electric motor or two I could care less

the one thing I believe the corvette team should work on is a better exhaust system that allowed exhaust sound into the cockpit in sport or track mode. This lt2 powered c8 has isolated the cockpit of engine sound just too well.

To put on the borla exhaust Im hearing five grand...wider wheels Im guessing with tires etc its another four or five grand.

Doesnt make sense to me. Easier to just drop another 20 grand additional and buy a z06.

if sales of the stingray or Eray were ever to turn soft Id suggest a better design to get engine sound into the cockpit.

used to be a grand or so for a exhaust system and an hour labor to install. Those days are gone. While not necessary the borla system is approved by GM and that has great value .

the heat aspect of aftermarket cats or headers or exhausts concerns me with regards to the proper temperature control in this rear mid engine sportscar.

instead of removing the frunk for two electric motors ...corvette engineering should consider the topics Im mentioning. If the e ray got a cool jet turbine sound in sport mode Id buy one in a second with or without a frunk in htc form.

sales are so strong my ideas will obviously fall on deaf ears...

losing the frunk for the zr1 or zora is a no brainer...but for the grand sport replacement we are calling eray?

id recommend and vite no...to losing the frunk. Slightly shallower or smaller sure..

completely eliminate ? No not for the eray.

jmo
                    I like the light naturally feeling steering response I get from the Stingrays front wheels. Adding weight and propulsion will change the mix.

The Eray will be awesome. Just saying there are more compromises than the possible deletion of the front trunk, higher cost, weight increase, complexity and steering feel if one picks the hybrid.

Those trade offs might very well be worth it to specific buyers as this is all about individual use cases.
                    Last edited by Top Off Action; 05-13-2022, 08:26 PM.
                    Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

Actually I was in my frunk today. Had to put stuff in it because I had taken the top off and it was in the trunk - basically taking all the space. So I think they still need the frunk, however, I don't think it is an issue. If you look inside it is very much forward of the front wheels. I don't think they would be using any of that space for electric motor(s)

Comment

We all have different expectations. It will be interesting to see where the e ray lands. I believe cost will play a major role in what we end up with but iam like all of are just guessing.

one minut Im thinking this way the next day Im thinking possibly another.

to me added jet turbine sound from the electric motor into the cabin in sport mode to me in addition to the rumbling LT2 out back would be my priority. I wouldnt expect too much space to be taken up. Corvette engineers priorities usually maintains functionality to a large degree.

if it had two electric motors im sure the e ray will be fabulous. If it has one electric motor im pretty sure it ll be awesome. I would be concerned about steering feel based off what a friend who owned the latest NSX and sold it rather quickly said to me about the nsx steering feel.i havent driven one yet that comment does lend itself to one of the possible reasons the nsx was such a failure in the marketplace. Probably lacked soul so to speak.

Personally and maybe its me yet lately i wished for a little more weight in the c8 s steering feel. Im being decidedly picky here but since we are discussing all of the unknowns it never hurts to shoot the breeze.

the c8 is so wonderful right out of the box for some reason I couldnt imagine the new e ray aka grand sport wont be even slightly better with additional time for development. Just the added rubber and wider wheels sound like something many of us enthusiasts would appreciate.

i always thought a little wider wheels and tires could be fun. I might mention the c8 handling is impeccable and flawless on the street. I dont believe Ive ever in the past 20 months exceeded the vehicles lateral grip. Maybe Im getting older but my previous corvettes I did quite often yet this c8 z51 i just havent so do we really need wider wheels and tires or do we just dream of having “more” hard to say...

same pretty much goes for acceleration. Seriously a very quick sports car. Zero to sixty in 2,8 seconds is no joke. GM I believe stated the z06 will do this feat a few clicks quicker on 2.6 and the quarter mile in [email protected] mph...and the rumors are the eray will exceed those performance numbers by a few tenths if it actually matters. (At least zero 60 times)

a little frunk space yes...the entire frunk no.. for those of us with a targa roof off pretty much renders the rear trunk occupied.

i drive around most of the spring summer and fall with the roof off. When i go food shopping each week i use the frunk and front seat if need be. Thats rarely going to change in warmer weather.

I would expect the zora to be twin turbo v8 and dual electric motors up front. Maybe even one aft the transmission if money no object..

who knows we are all guessing.

many of us change our minds on what we want or what we expect.

i still think starting at 80 grand for the 1lt it will be a hell of a deal..11 grand more than the z51 mrc stingray ...which gets you an extra 83 hp , much more than 83 lb ft of tq very early in the rpm range of the lt2 and 275/20 inch tires upfront and massive 345/21s out back.

of course the aftermarket can provide stingrays with wider wheels and tires for 4 or 5 grand...maybe a little more sound for five grand via the new borla exhaust too...the extra 83 hp and much higher tq increase down low in the lt2 rev band has got to fun.

maybe the added weight and complexity is a bad thing. Hard to say for sure as we all bs about what the new eray will be but it could as mentioned above.

fun shooting the breeze and dreaming with the pluses and minuses.

with the corvettes run of hits its hard to imagine the latest and greatest will be even just a slightly bit improved if thats even possible.

from a statical and data standpoint it wont be or I should say barely better...there is just limits to what can be achieved.

the variable driver adjustable launch control in the z06 is because corvette engineers couldnt find the best launch control settings for a varied amount of raod surfaces so they are offering drivers the ability to change the rpm launch settings

the eray with awd and its front electric drice probably can launch much harder as numbers as low as 2,3 to sixty have been discussed.

these are numbers beating the ferrari 296 under 80 or 10 mph..maybe even the very expensive sf90 which for some reason see,s to be not quite as popular as expected in the ferrari showrooms. Maybe the massive price tag too.isnt it ten times the price of the c8 stingray base?

the eray will be awesome...firgeting about youtubers I believe real world automotive journalists will be raving about all three c8 variations ..

of course supply will be a major issue but then Again what isnt these days.

Comment

I wrote a book...sorry guys

Comment

A good forum friend asked what motivated me to ramble so early in the morning about future corvettes .

Just so happened my 26 year old severely handicapped kid woke up at 3 am for a half an hour and I got up to take care of him and was up for the day. Thanks to those who tale the time to read my long winded posts.

thought Id shoot the breeze a bit on the forums since I was up for the day.

On a side note i was driving around today after the gym and used manual mode on the c8. I think the recent dissatisfaction with the cabin engine roar off the lt2 was the dct is so dam efficient in upshifting. By using the manual .mode and getting the revs further up the range a bit the sound of the lt2 by itself is enjoyable as well.

Be well guys and enjoy good health
                            Last edited by JB; 05-14-2022, 10:23 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X