Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #115 - Corvette News & Headlines, Late June 2022

We've got the latest News & Headlines in the world of Corvette for you every other week! Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger is back to give you the inside scoop on what's happening. https://youtu.be/ZnVdDJHYDxo; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...2cqLUlcMmj6m4x
Here are a few of the topics covered on next week's podcast....
C8 Z06 benchmarked Porsche, Audi, Ferrari and McLaren
Chevrolet raises prices on 2023 C8 Stingray
Chevrolet adds DCT transmission filter life to maintenance tab on 2023 Corvettes
Chevy offers "Dark Stealth" crossed flags for 2023 Corvettes
WEC drops GTE Pro class for 2023 and introduces GTE Premium for 2024
Chevrolet is offering Dark Stealth Crossed Flags for the 2023 Corvettes
Is Corvette is scheduled for an interior refresh in 2024?
Chevrolet to offer 1 of 1 Mint Green Z06 in first NFT Auction
GM releases 2 more videos about the C8 Z06
This Friday, July 1st, is "Drive Your Corvette To Work" Day!

Don't miss a single episode of CORVETTE TODAY on podcast and YouTube. Each week's episode launches on Monday at 12 midnight Eastern Time.
2 of 2 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Would You Give Up Your Entire Frunk for Dual Front-Assist Motors in Your E-Ray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Give Up Your Entire Frunk for Dual Front-Assist Motors in Your E-Ray?

I have thought all along that the E-Ray will have a single motor Ultium front-assist unit that makes 83 horsepower. That is the only configuration that GM has said will be available for the front-assist unit.

And I always thought that GM would be able to package that single 83 horsepower unit below and aft of the frunk so as not to reduce the frunk volume much, if at all.

But what if Don Sherman is correct, and GM will cobble-together dual motors in a Vette-specific front-assist unit? What would you compromise for that 166 horsepower up front?

What if those dual electric machines up front completely eliminated the frunk? Would you still opt for that?

The E-Ray will still have the Stingray and Z06 trunk of course. And that area is relatively large for a sports car as we all know.

As shown below, Shmee's Ferrari SF90 hybrid has a very minimal frunk. And the SF90 has NO trunk. As one can also see from the image below, the SF90 has the inverter aft of the frunk and forward of the firewall. That won't be an issue for the E-Ray because the Ultium front-assist unit has an internal inverter.Click image for larger version  Name:	Shmee.jpg Views:	0 Size:	490.1 KB ID:	376553

So would completely eliminating the frunk in the E-Ray to go faster be a big deal to you?
    Last edited by Shepherd777; 05-11-2022, 11:47 AM.
    Bob Sliwa
    "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
    Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
    Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
    2023-2024? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

I would TOTALLY trade the frunk for 2 motors up front! I rarely put anything in there to be honest. And I don't take on long trips, so luggage not really an issue!!

Comment

Good question. We have always used our frunk fully so that would be an interesting one to ponder. I await others’ thoughts and right now am living vicariously for others to get their E-Ray. Two of my friends about a year ago changed from a Z06 list to an E-Ray list.
      Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by PastaPrince View Post
        I would TOTALLY trade the frunk for 2 motors up front! I rarely put anything in there to be honest. And I don't take on long trips, so luggage not really an issue!!
        I'm in the same boat as you are, in that I don't really take any long trips and the only thing I've had in my frunk is my helmet and the C8 trickle charger. Curious to see what others that do the long road trips think.
        Bob Sliwa
        "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
        Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
        Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
        2023-2024? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

Comment

I do use my frunk for food items as the temps are not hot like the trunk. But if I can get more HP with dual motors, that's a trade I'm willing to make. Taking the E-Ray over 600HP combined with all wheel drive would be a great GT car. I think the E-Ray is going to be a one cycle wonder as ICE is being phased out after the C8 run and it'll be a pretty rare Corvette like the C8 Z06 with the naturally aspirated FPC engine.

Comment

I would give up the frunk for more HP, and just be selective about what I put in the trunk. The trunk has more than enough space for what I use the C8 for; and I really don't need to buy ice cream or frozen dinners in the C8 and worry about stuff melting.

Comment

No. Wouldn't even consider it. My Corvette isn't just a toy. I tour in it, I daily drive in it, and (not overly hot) luggage space matters.

But I don't believe the question is valid. It appears there is plenty of space behind the frunk bucket for the assist motor(s) and half shafts.
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I do not know how i would feel losing the frunk as my vehicle is still hypothetical (been pushed multiple times and now looking like q3 this year at the soonest for allocation). I am on an e-ray list because I missed the boat on z06 and many msrp dealers are not taking any more deposits in fear the list will outlast the generation. What this would do is make my mind up of coupe vs convertible and if I lost the frunk I would go HTC all day to ensure there is space to tour with the car.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                  No. Wouldn't even consider it. My Corvette isn't just a toy. I tour in it, I daily drive in it, and (not overly hot) luggage space matters.

But I don't believe the question is valid. It appears there is plenty of space behind the frunk bucket for the assist motor(s) and half shafts.

I'm with Meyerweb on this one. When I drive my C8 I don't want to have to plan to the last square half-inch as to where things are going. I'm at about 6K miles and I'd say 4.5K are touring miles. I'll be adding another 3 - 4K touring miles in the western US this summer and next Spring. Nope, I want it all ... more hp, AWD, hybrid powertrain and if you could throw in 4 wheel steering (ala Porsche), luggage space for 2 (10 days worth) and keep it around $90K, I'm in! OK, to be honest, I'd settle for everything minus the 4 wheel steering for $90K as well.

I have to add that my Z-51, 3LT, HTC C8 is just about the perfect touring (GT) car. All day comfort (10 hours at a time) in the GT2 seats, luggage room, great visibility, 25 - 30 mpg hwy, top up or down, twisty's or straights, rain or shine and great gas station conversations, this is a GREAT car.
                  2021 HTC - Z51 - 3LT - FE4 (MagRide) - E60 (Front Lift) - EFY (Body Colored Accents) - HRE FF11 wheels - CF 5VM w/CF Diffuser

Comment

I would only accept all wheel drive with electric motors upfront if I ordered a htc and even then it would probably not get my money. This car is quick enough and whether its one electric motor or two I could care less

the one thing I believe the corvette team should work on is a better exhaust system that allowed exhaust sound into the cockpit in sport or track mode. This lt2 powered c8 has isolated the cockpit of engine sound just too well.

To put on the borla exhaust Im hearing five grand...wider wheels Im guessing with tires etc its another four or five grand.

Doesnt make sense to me. Easier to just drop another 20 grand additional and buy a z06.

if sales of the stingray or Eray were ever to turn soft Id suggest a better design to get engine sound into the cockpit.

used to be a grand or so for a exhaust system and an hour labor to install. Those days are gone. While not necessary the borla system is approved by GM and that has great value .

the heat aspect of aftermarket cats or headers or exhausts concerns me with regards to the proper temperature control in this rear mid engine sportscar.

instead of removing the frunk for two electric motors ...corvette engineering should consider the topics Im mentioning. If the e ray got a cool jet turbine sound in sport mode Id buy one in a second with or without a frunk in htc form.

sales are so strong my ideas will obviously fall on deaf ears...

losing the frunk for the zr1 or zora is a no brainer...but for the grand sport replacement we are calling eray?

id recommend and vite no...to losing the frunk. Slightly shallower or smaller sure..

completely eliminate ? No not for the eray.

jmo
                    Last edited by JB; 05-12-2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

It's easier to get a loaded full size rollaboard into the frunk and I did take a trip where both trunk and frunk were pretty full. However, I would have bought my C8 without a frunk so I guess its not a total deal breaker.

Seems like worst case is we lose part of the bottom of the frunk. It's pretty tall, so even with 6" or 8" lost, it would have good usable space.
                      2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Member, Old Dominion Corvette Club https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

In a second.

Comment

Not getting an E-Ray, However even without the Frunk there is enough room in the Rear Trunk for a 2 Seat Sports Car. Enough room back there for 2 persons clothes to go on a 2 week trip. And if they need more let them put a hitch on it with a small cargo carrier on the hitch.

Better yet - Who's going to come up with a C8 Trailer ??? You know similar to what the Prowlers had.
                          Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

I can tell from these posts that everyone uses their C8 differently. I think that might be the determining factor as to whether one orders an E-Ray or not. We'll just have to see if the final design completely eliminates the frunk or just reduces it to file folder. Personally, I like the hybrid designs because you don't have to stop and charge them, so long trips will still be a possibility, and I like the idea of AWD. I'm sure the E-Ray would be priced out of my comfort zone, so I really don't think about it much.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                              Not getting an E-Ray, However even without the Frunk there is enough room in the Rear Trunk for a 2 Seat Sports Car. Enough room back there for 2 persons clothes to go on a 2 week trip. And if they need more let them put a hitch on it with a small cargo carrier on the hitch.

Better yet - Who's going to come up with a C8 Trailer ??? You know similar to what the Prowlers had.
                              Yes! But will the trailer have round tail lights? ... Sorry ....
                              2021 HTC - Z51 - 3LT - FE4 (MagRide) - E60 (Front Lift) - EFY (Body Colored Accents) - HRE FF11 wheels - CF 5VM w/CF Diffuser

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X