MPG Experience: 2 Quarts Extra DCT Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG Experience: 2 Quarts Extra DCT Fluid

So when I drive around town, I drive "Very Spiritedly". On the Highway, I cruise at 65-70. I drive about 60-70% around town, and 30-40% on the highway. Same driving habits/ratios for both before and after the DCT fluid. I also had a track day in each as well.

For 872 miles before I put in the extra DCT fluid, I averaged 18.2 overall gas mileage. for 686 miles after I put the extra 2 quarts in, I averaged 18.1 overall gas mileage. That's statistically the same. One thing I noticed however, when I drive for 30+ miles on the highway, with my HTC top down, I get at best 27.2mpg before putting in the fluid. After I put in the fluid, I got 26.1 at best.

In all honestly, for the way I drive, I'm surprised I get "that good" of gas mileage.

Just my 2 cents and experience in case anyone is wondering how the DCT fluid affects the gas mileage.
    Delivered 6/30/21: The Red Demon 2021 3LT Red Mist HTC.
    Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
    AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Thank you. As we all know each of our experiences can vary greatly. I have a friend who has kept track of his fuel mileage before and after he had the 2 put in and since; he says, and he does not drive on a track, that his mileage has “not noticeably changed.” I am sure that some who added the fluid however had the same experience as yours with a mileage reduction. That would be consistent with adding more fluid in a rotating bunch of gears and shafts in a trans.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

One thing to take into account is that for the first interval, the engine wasn't fully broken in. As engines break-in, mileage generally improves a bit. Whether there's enough difference in those two intervals to matter, however, is doubtful.

Tadge said that the difference in mileage was very small, but over tens of thousands of vehicles, for a manufacturer, it matters.
      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
        One thing to take into account is that for the first interval, the engine wasn't fully broken in. As engines break-in, mileage generally improves a bit. Whether there's enough difference in those two intervals to matter, however, is doubtful.
        I already had over 1,500 miles on my C8 before I started the "872 miles" before the change.

for the first 1,500 miles on my C8, my overall MPG was 17.1 (with out any track days)... So yes MPG during break in, is way less.
        Last edited by BuyPeaksSellDips; 10-14-2021, 03:54 PM.
        Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
        AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

Originally posted by BuyPeaksSellDips View Post

I already had over 1,500 miles on my C8 before I started the "872 miles" before the change.

for the first 1,500 miles on my C8, my overall MPG was 17.1 (with out any track days)... So yes MPG during break in, is way less.
          Now you're making me feel like I'm driving like an old grandmother ...

I have 1700 plus miles an I'm still averaging 22 mpg
          1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
          2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT Mag Ride & Front Lift

Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels
          GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Delivered – August 28th @ The National Corvette Museum

Comment

Originally posted by BuyPeaksSellDips View Post

Ah, I thought you were talking about the first 872 miles from zero. I agree with you that break-in wasn't an issue in your comparison.
            Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post

Now you're making me feel like I'm driving like an old grandmother ...

I have 1700 plus miles an I'm still averaging 22 mpg
              LOL.. I did say my in town driving was "Very Spiritly".. I guess it is very very... lol.. I typically drive 10mph over the speed limit... So if its 45, I go 55... BUT I get to 55 as fast as possible all the time... Esp now with my exhaust, I like to hear that thing roar as I accelerate..

Comment

What driving/shifting/noise/smoothness differences do you perceive after adding the 2 extra qts to the DTC? My first service is coming up in two weeks and I'm going to request the same.

Comment

Originally posted by shiumai View Post
                  What driving/shifting/noise/smoothness differences do you perceive after adding the 2 extra qts to the DTC? My first service is coming up in two weeks and I'm going to request the same.
                  I personally haven't noticed anything different.

Comment

I added (my speed shop actually) the two extra quarts to the DCT. I have not noticed any change in the gas mileage. I now have just short of 6,000 miles on the car and average close to 30 mpg at 75 mph. I drove it from the NCM to California (home) and averaged 25.8 mpg over 2600 miles. I am always amazed when cruising down the highway to 75 mph and the car is running in V4 mode. FYI, I added the extra 2 quarts of DCT fluid for a track day event. Running on 2.5 mile road course, I would estimate the mileage is less than 10 mpg and the poor Michelin tires take a real beating. 😀

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X