Gas cap lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas cap lock

Just in the garage going over my C8 and I pushed on the gas cap door and it opened. Problem was I didn't have my key fob anywhere near. Tried the doors and frunk lock and trunk. All stayed locked and would open. Gas door still open easily. I could have sworn you had to have the key fob near or have car unlocked to open the fuel door. Anyone else experience this behavior? Could a recent OTA update have affected this. Someone please check and respond.
    New C8: 3LT, GDO yellow, DTH CF Racing stripes, Q8Q CF wheels, Z51, J6E yellow calipers, E60 Front end lift, ZZ3 engine appearance pkg, FE4 mag ride, EYK chrome badges, FA5 C Fiber interior trim, AH2 GT2 seats, 3M9 yellow seat belts, HZN Natural Dipped Interior.

It should be locked if the doors are locked, and unlock when the doors are unlocked. When you lock or unlock the doors, you should be able to hear a pretty loud click from the area of the gas filler door. If you don't, the solenoid (or linear motor, maybe) isn't working properly.

Also, with the door open, when you lock / unlock the car you should be able to see a plunger that moves back and forth just below the 3 o'clock position relative to the opening. If that's not moving, or missing, you have a problem.

This photo shows the plunger extended, in the locked position:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211013_160305.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	319567

Also make sure you have this tab, with the hole in it, sticking out the back of the filler door. That hole is what the plunger goes through to hold the door closed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211013_160258.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	319568

Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Unclestu View Post
      Just in the garage going over my C8 and I pushed on the gas cap door and it opened. Problem was I didn't have my key fob anywhere near. Tried the doors and frunk lock and trunk. All stayed locked and would open. Gas door still open easily. I could have sworn you had to have the key fob near or have car unlocked to open the fuel door. Anyone else experience this behavior? Could a recent OTA update have affected this. Someone please check and respond.
      Unclestu, if you hadn't been out of the locked car more than 5 minutes, please read the info below. I think that might be your situation.

The text below was copied from post # 7 from VA_BILL on 10/16/2020 in the thread below:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...king-fuel-door

I read that in the manual as well, but could not explain why my C8 fuel door does not lock when the passive door lock process engages. So, I just ran yet another test as I learn about my C8. I unlocked, opened, then closed the door and came inside from the garage. I went back into the garage (without the key) and confirmed the C8 had passively locked, but the fuel door was not locked. I then came back inside and set a timer for 5-minutes. When I returned to the garage, I found the fuel door was now locked.

Since I am bored due to the bad weather in the area, I ran yet another experiment. I again unlocked and locked the C8 and when I walked away, as soon as I heard the passive locking process engage, I started a stop watch. At this point the clock was running and the doors were locked, but the fuel door was not locked. At precisely 5-minutes on the stopwatch, I heard the solenoid on the fuel door lock engage and the fuel door was now locked.

I am impressed that the human factors engineers at GM realized the potential issue that could arise with passive door locking when fueling the car, and introduced a 5-minute delay on locking the fuel door after locking the driver/passenger door. Good job GM.
      1LT |Torch Red/Black | MSRP $59,995 | DOB=8/31 | Home on 9/24.
      Splash Guards, Cargo Nets, All weather Jake Floor Mats and Cargo Area Liner, and Front Grille Screens behind grilles.

Comment

I learn something again. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks meyerweb. Both the plunger and the receiver in the gas door look OK. Ran a test where car was unlocked and then locked using the keyfob. Gas door now locks. Ran a second test by opening driver door with fob in pocket, then closed and allowed passive lock to energize. After 5 minutes (as expected) gas door locked. Guess I may have experienced a one time event?? It had been more than 12 ours since I was last in the car when the gas door didn't lock, but all seems OK now.

By the way, Locking the car with the keyfob, locks the gas door immediately.
          Last edited by Unclestu; 10-14-2021, 08:52 AM.
          New C8: 3LT, GDO yellow, DTH CF Racing stripes, Q8Q CF wheels, Z51, J6E yellow calipers, E60 Front end lift, ZZ3 engine appearance pkg, FE4 mag ride, EYK chrome badges, FA5 C Fiber interior trim, AH2 GT2 seats, 3M9 yellow seat belts, HZN Natural Dipped Interior.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
          Working...
          X