Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today’s News That “Corvette Fever” Returns

Corvette Fever magazine has not been published for a while. But Alan Colvin, a walking encyclopedia of GM cars as well as Corvette, has purchased the rights to Corvette Fever and has revived this publication! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Colvin-euvkq2. Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, visits with Alan to talk about the books he's written on Corvette and other GM products, his history with the old Corvette Fever magazine and how he plans to revive the publication. Plus, listen to this podcast and register to win one of 3-two year subscriptions to Corvette Fever that we're giving away exclusively on this episode! Listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast and win a subscription to Corvette Fever magazine!!!
2 of 4 < >

SGTMAJ USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER Joins MECF As A Featured Forum Vendor.

Welcome to SGTMAJ USMC USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER! We are so happy to have you now join us as a MECF Featured Forum Vendor. We can not wait to help your new business grow. We know you will provide a great transport service to our members and others!
3 of 4 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

Southern Cal C8 Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks shipman for that correction on CA courtesy delivery C8’s being exempted.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Appreciate the info from everyone. For me I am purchasing through Mike Furman, shipping to CA via Plycar to my house. Courtesy delivery is not happening. No local dealers are interested in performing one. Frankly, I do not trust anyone in our area. Wish I could but oh well.
      Last edited by Vette Interested; 03-31-2021, 08:06 AM.

Comment

The key thing I learned (thanks to my courtesy dealer), is to not let it be registered outside of California. Apparently, if the car is first registered by a Ca dealer, no smog check is required.

At least that’s my understanding and what worked for me. Bought from MacMulkin, delivered to a Nor Cal dealer, and never had to visit DMV and no smog test. Your mileage may vary!

Comment

CA sure does NOT make it easy!

Comment

For you Californians, I feel your pain. Some of my family lives there and I feel their pain too. Is there anything in the universe that is not known by the state of California to cause cancer and reproductive damage? Sorry, I felt the need to vent. California's a beautiful place to live, but my, what a cauldron of regs and ordinances, hats off to you Californians, I couldn't do it.

Comment

I may have found a dealer that will do a courtesy delivery for me that is close to my house. (The guy that handles them finally got back to me)!!

Comment

I believe your first decision of a courtesy dealer should be made using a dealer that has delivered many C8's not the closest.

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
                  I believe your first decision of a courtesy dealer should be made using a dealer that has delivered many C8's not the closest.
                  I agree which was one of the questions I asked. 😀

Comment

Originally posted by Vette Interested View Post

Really appreciate the info. Wondering what they say about the mileage you need to pass a smog test and the time you have to get it done. GOOD LUCK!
                    Followup to my Post #12. I did get to the DMV the end of last week. Was there for 2 1/2hrs, all but 15 minutes of it was waiting in the sunny line outside and, ultimately and mercifully (it was a warm day!), under a tree until my # was called. Then I spent about 15 minutes with a very nice woman who had a previous automotive background, let out an audible gasp when she saw it was a brand new Corvette I was trying to register with just 3 miles on the odometer. The second gasp came when I told her it just rolled off the assembly line in BG 3 weeks prior and just came off the transporter and that I've only driven it about 50' into the PPF bay. She asked if I had any pictures. I instinctively reached for my iPhone, but quickly realized that I had my iPad with me - and the bigger screen would be better to show her through the Plexiglass separating us. The 3rd gasp came when she saw the pics of my C8 coming off the truck, and then on the street. But when I mentioned that it was made to my specific spec - colors, equipment - all built to how I ordered it - I thought I was going to have to reach around that glass shield to lift her jaw up off the floor!

Well, despite her now being my biggest fan, she collected a check from for almost $8500 for Title, Registration and, yes, Taxes. If your dealer does not collect any taxes, be prepared to pay the same rate as if you bought the car in the Calif city where you live. If the dealer did collect, but based the amount on THEIR State/City tax rate, then you will have to pay the difference, if any, between that amount and your Calif city amount. Be sure to have the Certificate of Title (signed by the Dealer and you) and a completed
                    Application for Title or Registration Form - get it online if you haven't previously picked one up at a DMV office. So, despite me giving my DMV clerk $$ and having those 2 documents and her thinking how amazing my C8 (and me?) is, YES, she/DMV must have a Smog Inspection/Certification too. I explained to her the Cliff's Notes version of John's Post #14, and although she found it very interesting, I still needed to get it. I explained the concept of a Courtesy Delivery and that I had "heard" that a Smog wasn't needed in that instance. She said that the Smog would be required even then. I assured her that my info came from an excellent source - MECF members - but she assured me she was correct.

And here's what the DMV website does not spell out clearly but they sure do when you're there: the vehicle has to be there for inspection . For me, it's getting PPF'd, so it didn't matter, plus I'll have to come back for the Smog verification anyway, therefore I'll just do both at the same time. My MacMulkin Temp Reg Plate expired on 3/28, but my biggest fan only gave me a 30 day Temporary Operating Permit even though they do offer 60 and 90 day (...and I'll only have about 2 weeks to drive the car after coming back from Spring Mtn). So, regardless of even if I don't pass a Smog, I'll have to go back there by 5/1 and keep getting TOP's until I do pass, which she said they would do. And I'll need to spend time in that sunny line and then under that shady tree each time. Ahhh....while a pain in the rear, it is, after all, a fortunate problem to have.

I hope this may be informative to my some of my fellow California C8 brethren and sistren...
                    Order placed w/Dec. 2020 Allocations: 2021 Coupe, CMGM, 3LT, Twilight/Tension Blue, Z51, carbon flash wheels/mirrors/spoiler, bright red calipers, front lift, mag ride, transparent roof, splash guards, black rockers, battery protection package, engine appearance package, red engine cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdcinsb View Post
                      Followup to my Post #12.

I explained the concept of a Courtesy Delivery and that I had "heard" that a Smog wasn't needed in that instance. She said that the Smog would be required even then. I assured her that my info came from an excellent source - MECF members - but she assured me she was correct.
                      It wasn't clear in your post #12 whether you had it courtesy delivered to a CA dealership, or delivered to you directly from MM, or how it was delivered (did you pick it up from a CA dealership, or it came to your home?). That makes a difference. If you had it courtesy delivered, it comes from BG straight to the courtesy delivery dealership, where NO smog cert is needed, and they take care of the tax and CA registration for you.

You mentioned your MacMulkin temp plate - this means that your car was previously registered in another state, so it DOES require the smog check. If it had never been registered, then you would not have needed a smog check.

Comment

Originally posted by shiumai View Post

It wasn't clear in your post #12 whether you had it courtesy delivered to a CA dealership, or delivered to you directly from MM, or how it was delivered (did you pick it up from a CA dealership, or it came to your home?). That makes a difference. If you had it courtesy delivered, it comes from BG straight to the courtesy delivery dealership, where NO smog cert is needed, and they take care of the tax and CA registration for you.

You mentioned your MacMulkin temp plate - this means that your car was previously registered in another state, so it DOES require the smog check. If it had never been registered, then you would not have needed a smog check.

And my apologies if it was not clear in either of my Posts, but, yes, vehicle was purchased through MacMulkin and transported to me via private transporter: Intercity ($2295). I mentioned the concept of Courtesy Delivery because it was being discussed in other Posts and I wanted to provide that information.
                        Order placed w/Dec. 2020 Allocations: 2021 Coupe, CMGM, 3LT, Twilight/Tension Blue, Z51, carbon flash wheels/mirrors/spoiler, bright red calipers, front lift, mag ride, transparent roof, splash guards, black rockers, battery protection package, engine appearance package, red engine cover.

Comment

Amazing how by altering one aspect of picking up/having a car delivered can result in more $$$$ and time spent. Good thing we have each other’s experiences (good & bad) to fall back on. Appreciate all the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdcinsb View Post

And my apologies if it was not clear in either of my Posts, but, yes, vehicle was purchased through MacMulkin and transported to me via private transporter: Intercity ($2295). I mentioned the concept of Courtesy Delivery because it was being discussed in other Posts and I wanted to provide that information.
                            Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, the DMV lady was wrong when it comes to courtesy delivery. Also, not all dealers agree on what the correct tax-collecting procedure is. I understood it to be: pay the out of state taxes to the dealership you purchased it from, then pay the CA sales tax difference to the CA courtesy dealership.

However, the courtesy dealership sales manager insisted that I pay full CA taxes to him (the courtesy/fleet guy disagreed with him too, and agreed with me, but could not convince him otherwise), so I ended up paying full CA taxes when I picked up the car, and the out of state dealership sent me a check and refunded me all the taxes I had paid to them, rather than argue with the CA sales manager.

Comment

Originally posted by shiumai View Post

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, the DMV lady was wrong when it comes to courtesy delivery. Also, not all dealers agree on what the correct tax-collecting procedure is. I understood it to be: pay the out of state taxes to the dealership you purchased it from, then pay the CA sales tax difference to the CA courtesy dealership.

However, the courtesy dealership sales manager insisted that I pay full CA taxes to him (the courtesy/fleet guy disagreed with him too, and agreed with me, but could not convince him otherwise), so I ended up paying full CA taxes when I picked up the car, and the out of state dealership sent me a check and refunded me all the taxes I had paid to them, rather than argue with the CA sales manager.
                              Did you have to contact the out of state dealership to arrange for the refund? (I am guessing so).

Comment

Originally posted by Vette Interested View Post

Did you have to contact the out of state dealership to arrange for the refund? (I am guessing so).
                                The CA courtesy delivery contact (fleet manager) told me about it, so I called my out of state dealership representative (since I had already paid out of state sales tax), and he contacted the CA sales manager directly. They hashed it out/argued about it, and my out of state representative let me know what transpired, and what the best way to deal with it was. I said I was ok with paying the CA sales tax, and them refunding me the MI sales tax, so that's the route we went. He overnighted my refund check to me.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X