Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today’s News That “Corvette Fever” Returns

Corvette Fever magazine has not been published for a while. But Alan Colvin, a walking encyclopedia of GM cars as well as Corvette, has purchased the rights to Corvette Fever and has revived this publication! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Colvin-euvkq2. Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, visits with Alan to talk about the books he's written on Corvette and other GM products, his history with the old Corvette Fever magazine and how he plans to revive the publication. Plus, listen to this podcast and register to win one of 3-two year subscriptions to Corvette Fever that we're giving away exclusively on this episode! Listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast and win a subscription to Corvette Fever magazine!!!
2 of 4 < >

SGTMAJ USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER Joins MECF As A Featured Forum Vendor.

Welcome to SGTMAJ USMC USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER! We are so happy to have you now join us as a MECF Featured Forum Vendor. We can not wait to help your new business grow. We know you will provide a great transport service to our members and others!
3 of 4 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

Southern Cal C8 Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Cal C8 Owners

This question is to all C8 owners who purchased their cars out of CA and had the car shipped into CA from an out of state dealer. I am being told that even if the car has CA emissions, I still have to get it smogged prior to being registered in CA. Is this true? Are there any other issues I need to be ready for. (I have MONTHS to prepare but do not want any surprises). Thanks for the help.

Does a new car have to be emission checked in Calif? In Arizona you don't have to for 5 years.

Comment

No it does not. But I am being told a car brought in to CA does need to be tested. Makes no sense but that is life here.

Comment

I bought my C7 back in 2016. It was ordered from a small dealer in Wisconsin with courtesy delivery to a dealer in Northern CA. Definitely wouldn’t recommend courtesy delivery after having a bad experience on that front. Make sure you have the CA emissions option checked with the dealer. I did that and didn’t have any problems with registration. I’ve owned the car for almost five years in state and have not been asked for a smog test.

Comment

Originally posted by dewitbj View Post
          I bought my C7 back in 2016. It was ordered from a small dealer in Wisconsin with courtesy delivery to a dealer in Northern CA. Definitely wouldn’t recommend courtesy delivery after having a bad experience on that front. Make sure you have the CA emissions option checked with the dealer. I did that and didn’t have any problems with registration. I’ve owned the car for almost five years in state and have not been asked for a smog test.
          Good point. I even mentioned that the car would be CA compliant but was still told out of state cars need testing. Go figure!

Comment

I just brought my C8 in from Washington State and it does have to be smoged. The kicker is that these new cars will not pass a smog test until you have about 800 miles on them. I have worked out an arrangement with my local smog guy and he will check it periodically and tell me when it will pass. Doesn’t make sense but that’s California for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
              I just brought my C8 in from Washington State and it does have to be smoged. The kicker is that these new cars will not pass a smog test until you have about 800 miles on them. I have worked out an arrangement with my local smog guy and he will check it periodically and tell me when it will pass. Doesn’t make sense but that’s California for you!
              Ugh! So you have to wait to get it registered until it passes smog? Does it have to be registered within a certain amount of time? Sorry for ALL the questions.
              Last edited by Vette Interested; 03-30-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

My dealership in Washington is handling the title and California registration on my behalf but they told me not to take too long to get the smog test. I don’t know exactly how long I have but I have to get the miles on it first to pass smog.

Comment

I will look up the time frame on the DMV site.

Comment

You also have to get a VIN inspection done. That’s easy though. CHP or DMV can do it. I would not recommend DMV though. I had a private party do my inspection. It cost 25 bucks.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Mine was just delivered this afternoon and went straight in for PPF and ceramic coating. So no driving it not for a couple of weeks (I am going to Spring Mountain just before the car should be ready). But...I plan to go into the DMV tomorrow with the required Certificate of Title (signed by MacMulkin and me) and the Form: Application for Title or Registration. And I went in a few months ago to prepare for this day, I was told that a smog check would be required even though the car was produced according to California emission standards. I’ll try and report back tomorrow on anything that I find out.
                        Order placed w/Dec. 2020 Allocations: 2021 Coupe, CMGM, 3LT, Twilight/Tension Blue, Z51, carbon flash wheels/mirrors/spoiler, bright red calipers, front lift, mag ride, transparent roof, splash guards, black rockers, battery protection package, engine appearance package, red engine cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdcinsb View Post
                          Mine was just delivered this afternoon and went straight in for PPF and ceramic coating. So no driving it not for a couple of weeks (I am going to Spring Mountain just before the car should be ready). But...I plan to go into the DMV tomorrow with the required Certificate of Title (signed by MacMulkin and me) and the Form: Application for Title or Registration. And I went in a few months ago to prepare for this day, I was told that a smog check would be required even though the car was produced according to California emission standards. I’ll try and report back tomorrow on anything that I find out.
                          Really appreciate the info. Wondering what they say about the mileage you need to pass a smog test and the time you have to get it done. GOOD LUCK!
                          Last edited by Vette Interested; 03-30-2021, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I need to correct some above info. Back to the OP’s question is that if you buy a new car that goes directly from BGA to a California dealership, you do not need an emission test. If however you buy a new vehicle from an out of state dealer and then license it in CA you do need an emissions test.

Here’s where it has gotten a little tricky for some. They took their new C8 (same thing occurred for some new C6’s, C7’s) in for an emission test right away and it failed. Some had this happen several times but in the end 100% (also including new C6’s and C7’s passed the CA emission test.

Here’s the keys to increased odds of getting it passed — but most do not get it passed the first time, many failed even their second attempt.

Do not take a brand new car with a few miles on it for the CA test., Instead on your temporary plates, get many, many drive cycles on the car, in every possible driving situation you can imagine, from stop and go, to regular suburb driving, to sustained highway speeds, to accelerate moderately from a light, to putting it into manual mode and running it up and down the gears (keeping of course within the the 4,000 RPM max during your first 500 miles). In general, and of course there are always exceptions, the more miles you have on it above 500 miles but typically less than 1,000 miles the greater your chances of of passing (again it you did many on and off cycles of getting the car warmed up, turn if off, let it cool down, go fort a different trip or errands, driving variedly as above.

Nothing to stress about for again we have never heard of a new Corvette that did not eventually pass the CA emissions test and got 100% properly and fully licensed.
                            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

It looks like if you bought the car out of state, and get it delivered yourself, or drive it back, you need to get it smogged. If you buy it out of state, and have it courtesy delivered to a CA dealer, then you do NOT need to get it smogged.

I bought my C8 from Matick Chevrolet in Detroit, had it courtesy delivered to a SoCal dealer, who took care of the license and registration. No smog check needed.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X